• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Larping (Live Action Role Playing)

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to hate these F***ers when I helped out at retail booths at gaming conventions. At least one night during the weekend some fucktard Vampire player was going to pull a fire alarm and wake up the whole place.

But when I was 10-11, a friend's dad would make us swords out of PVC and padding and we'd all beat the hell out of each other. That was fun.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was tonight's episode of The Simpsons about Larping? Homer was also unusually concerned about his style as well.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I don't really see much of a distinction between this and playing it on the computer. Other than with this, you get to meet actual people.

There's a huge distinction, actually. Real RPers are ******* nerds!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

I will smite thee with mine padded sword, knave!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

Really?

Cause you and P both defend playing the game online by saying "it's a good way to blow a few hours and some steam." But you won't afford these people the same luxury.
At least these guys are out meeting real, physical people. Although it is ******* nerdy.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Couch jockeys are just jealous.

Pennsic34MountainPassBattle4.jpg

THAT is a raiding party. How's your hot pocket?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't really see much of a distinction between this and playing it on the computer. Other than with this, you get to meet actual people.
Really? Cause you and P both defend playing the game online by saying "it's a good way to blow a few hours and some steam." At least these guys are out meeting real, physical people. Although it is ******* nerdy.
I blew more than a few hours (I'm sure this will be interpreted loosely), but ya, it's totally different. a) I never dressed up in gay-ass costumes to play b) i never started speaking in bad old-english c) for me it was all about PKing and looting or coordinating raids of 40+ people. Bottom line is that altough the games we played were called MMORPGs, we didn't actually role-play, which is dorky as hell. Most PKs take special joy in kiling RPers. I wish I had my old screenshots cause they used to say some funny **** when they died. And yes, I realize that I am setting myself up for future grief.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
What I always think is funny about these types is that "Ye" has always been pronounced "The." Spelling it "ye" was just a way to save lines.

Gees, what nerds for not even knowing that.
nest.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where have you been? Larping has been around for years and years and years.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Moar larping stories. Nostrils123 (The guy with all of the action figures in the background of his pictures.) struck me as a larper.

Burzum

Reaction score
Unless you got some pc slaying going on - it's not real LRPing or RPGing...what ever you call it.

Anyway this isn't getting to close to the amount of weirdness out there...

Piratecon
Predator costuming
Steampunk
Cosplay - lolita style (truly disturbing)
Living history groups - Romans, Renaissance, Civil War list goes on

My favourite is CAS at least the stuff they use is totally real!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew a number of guys (never participated myself) who did reenactments of Civil War and WWII battles, commonly with actual weapons adapted to fire blanks. The WWII guys even had actual tanks, halftracks and other heavy equipment, in addition to the expected gear.

I don't know if that's equivalent to this 'larping' thing, but a lot of these guys were pretty well off -- vintage tracked vehicles are not cheap. Some of them had $20k M2HB .50 cal machineguns (with blank adapters installed) hanging off of them.

~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads