• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wen´t to the Kamakura store in Fukuoka the other day. Lot´s of nice shirts for ridiculous prices. Bought a linen OCBD for 6000 yen, and the fit was great. They have a big variety of different sleeve lengths too. Truly a great store!

Also,

The MTO starts at around 10500 yen, which is around 100$. The price would probably be around the same in US/online.

Last edited:

violethour1951

Reaction score
I've been told the MTM price is estimated to be about $180/shirt. They're looking to launch the MTM program around August.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've been told the MTM price is estimated to be about $180/shirt. They're looking to launch the MTM program around August.

That's a big upcharge, and frankly, better options are available at that price level.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
I'm looking for a proxy, from the USA, that's willing to ship to Brazil. Anyone willing/interested send me a message.

garymyman

Reaction score
I just got my first OCBD in from Kamakura and I couldn't be happier - the light blue is exactly what I was looking for. I can't think of a better spent $80. I have a terrible pear-shaped body and went with the Tokyo Classic fit. The fit is about the same as a Gitman Vintage - I got a 16.5/33 and wear a large in Gitman Vintage (there's a very helpful size guide on the site for those who are scratching their heads at the 4 different fits). This shirt is just incredible. The fabric is perfect, the fit is better than some bespoke shirts I have, and the aesthetics are amazing. I will be watching their site like a hawk to order more in my size - they're sold out of everything at the moment.

I'm looking for a proxy, from the USA, that's willing to ship to Brazil. Anyone willing/interested send me a message.
Mine shipped from Japan. I believe they ship worldwide. Pro tip: Ordering 1 shirt will cost you $100 ($21 shipping) but two will only run you $158 since they waive shipping over $150.

For folks who are kicking the dirt about sleeves being too short on the Tokyo Classic: the different fits don't vary much in the chest, their differences seem to be in the body length and sleeve length. The NY Slim has 36" sleeves on a 16" neck. Size Guide: http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/content_en_USD_8.html

Last edited:

Aszatk01

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to its wrinkling? I've been exclusively wearing BB and CT non iron for years now and am hooked on no iron...however all the praise about Kamkura quality make me want to give it a shot...
Thanks

violethour1951

Reaction score
Got my first batch of Kamakura OCBDs. Shipping via Japan Post EMS was incredibly fast -- order placed Monday, dispatched Tuesday from Tokyo, arrived in Chicago by Thursday.

These are exceptional quality shirts for the price. The Tokyo Slim Fit is great if you're looking for a real slim fit. I'm 6'1 and normally take a 16-35 in Brooks Bros Extra-Slim Fit shirts (which billow terribly around the waist, time to throw them all out). I went with a 15 1/3 - 34 1/3 in the Tokyo Slim Fit and it's a perfect trim fit. Expecting minimal shrinkage in the wash but we'll have to see.

Very excited to place another order, although their stock is running low.

garymyman

Reaction score

Can anyone speak to its wrinkling? I've been exclusively wearing BB and CT non iron for years now and am hooked on no iron...however all the praise about Kamkura quality make me want to give it a shot...
Thanks

Very minimal wrinkling. A quick Iron and they look like they're fresh from the cleaners. After a day of wear it still looks good (I have the blue one on now). After being stuck in the BB Non-Iron phase for a while I've finally branched out and have been wearing a lot of Ledbury shirts recently and they're the same way. I put my shirts in the dryer for about 10 minutes on low heat to get out "hard wrinkles," let them hang dry and iron once dry.

On another note: I wonder how regularly they'll update the site. I saw they have university stripe oxfords in several colors in Tokyo Slim but none in Classic. Hopefully that changes soon - I don't think I could stuff myself into the slim fit.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my first batch of Kamakura OCBDs. Shipping via Japan Post EMS was incredibly fast -- order placed Monday, dispatched Tuesday from Tokyo, arrived in Chicago by Thursday.

These are exceptional quality shirts for the price. The Tokyo Slim Fit is great if you're looking for a real slim fit. I'm 6'1 and normally take a 16-35 in Brooks Bros Extra-Slim Fit shirts (which billow terribly around the waist, time to throw them all out). I went with a 15 1/3 - 34 1/3 in the Tokyo Slim Fit and it's a perfect trim fit. Expecting minimal shrinkage in the wash but we'll have to see.

Very excited to place another order, although their stock is running low.
Well, you sized down half an inch, which is part of the reason you are getting a better fit. I wear a 16 in BB ESF, and it is a bit trimmer around the waist than a 16 Tokyo Slim Fit, but roomier in the shoulders.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good quality, especially for the price, they do offer very limited length though, not an issue for me I guess.

As for the tie, I would still go for Seigo (they got quite a lot shop in NYC these days).

violethour1951

Reaction score
Well, you sized down half an inch, which is part of the reason you are getting a better fit. I wear a 16 in BB ESF, and it is a bit trimmer around the waist than a 16 Tokyo Slim Fit, but roomier in the shoulders.
True, but according to their fit guide, the listed sizes are 1/2in less than the true size, to account for possible shrinkage. I've found 15 1/3 - 34 1/3 is really around 15 3/4 - 34 3/4 after wash.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but according to their fit guide, the listed sizes are 1/2in less than the true size, to account for possible shrinkage. I've found 15 1/3 - 34 1/3 is really around 15 3/4 - 34 3/4 after wash.
Wouldn't that be the other way around? It seems odd to me that a shirt collar would increase from 15 1/3 to 15 3/4 after washing it?

violethour1951

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be the other way around? It seems odd to me that a shirt collar would increase from 15 1/3 to 15 3/4 after washing it?
What I meant is that the label size 15 1/3 - 34 1/3 is actually about 15 5/6 - 34 5/6. They label it as 1/2in less to account for possible shrinkage. In my case, cold wash and hang-drying the shirt led to very little shrinkage, so the final measurement is around 15 3/4 - 34 3/4.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads