• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

bernieleung

Reaction score
You could also consider the Julien, very similar to the Jax.
I just purchased the new Julien - it’s nice but the Jax just seems like the superior spectacle for me. Also have the Vendome charbon as a sunglass which would be better than the Julien as well.

Btw, I don’t understand how there is not a dedicated fanclub for just the Vendome. The top line of the frame scream stallions, mustangs and masculine - it is unlike anything else I have seen or felt. I ordered it with the darkest grey gradient possible for a chic, cool as ice look

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased the new Julien - it’s nice but the Jax just seems like the superior spectacle for me. Also have the Vendome charbon as a sunglass which would be better than the Julien as well.

Btw, I don’t understand how there is not a dedicated fanclub for just the Vendome. The top line of the frame scream stallions, mustangs and masculine - it is unlike anything else I have seen or felt. I ordered it with the darkest grey gradient possible for a chic, cool as ice look

Agreed, the Jax is certainly the more attractive one, odd that JMM basically discontinued it in favour of the Julien. And yes, the Vendome also shows some resemblance, but looks bolder.

JessBob

Reaction score

People just have different reactions to different frames when they wear them. I've tried the Vendome in two colorways -- black wolf (yellowstone), and Hollywood exclusive. Both were very meh to me and it was an easy pass on both. It didn't scream anything to me except uninteresting, but I believe a frame can primarily be appreciated in the context of a person's unique face. On my face the Vendome just looks generic and uninteresting 🤷🏽‍♂️ On top of that the top line that you love so much felt too wide for my taste. Could I make the Vendome work for my face? Sure, absolutely, but it would be more an act of tolerance, than an act of style.

I had the same general reaction to the Julien, which I've also tried in two colors (Hollywood and Kinney), and passed on both. I liked the Julien Kinney better as I think the translucent acetate softened the parts of the frame I didn't like and made it more acceptable for my tastes, but I still wasn't all too excited (as compared to the Lacy Kinney and Ripley Kinney which I both picked up). While the new Julien collab certainly looks intriguing, it unfortunately inherited my earlier lack of interest in the other Juliens so it was an easy pass on that one as well.

I had a choice a couple months back between the Vendome Camel (a popular frame among some collectors) and the Schindler Camel (apparently not popular at all among most, collectors or otherwise hahaha). Schindler was the easy choice to me as it strikes me as more interesting and with more "flavor." I've already received quite a few compliments these past two weeks wearing the Schindler Camel, which I'm almost certain wouldn't have happened if I had been wearing a Vendome, at least on my face.

Having said all that, if you truly enjoy the way the Vendome looks on your face and makes you feel, go for it!

Last edited:

bernieleung

Reaction score
People just have different reactions to different frames when they wear them. I've tried the Vendome in two colorways -- black wolf (yellowstone), and Hollywood exclusive. Both were very meh to me and it was an easy pass on both. It didn't scream anything to me except uninteresting, but I believe a frame can primarily be appreciated in the context of a person's unique face. On my face the Vendome just looks generic and uninteresting 🤷🏽‍♂️ On top of that the top line that you love so much felt too wide for my taste. Could I make the Vendome work for my face? Sure, absolutely, but it would be more an act of tolerance, than an act of style.

I had the same general reaction to the Julien, which I've also tried in two colors (Hollywood and Kinney), and passed on both. I liked the Julien Kinney better as I think the translucent acetate softened the parts of the frame I didn't like and made it more acceptable for my tastes, but I still wasn't all too excited (as compared to the Lacy Kinney and Ripley Kinney which I both picked up). While the new Julien collab certainly looks intriguing, it unfortunately inherited my earlier lack of interest in the other Juliens so it was an easy pass on that one as well.

I had a choice a couple months back between the Vendome Camel (a popular frame among some collectors) and the Schindler Camel. Schindler was the easy choice to me as it strikes me as more interesting and with more "flavor." I've already received quite a few compliments these past two weeks wearing the Schindler Camel, which I'm almost certain wouldn't have happened if I had been wearing a Vendome, at least on my face.

Having said all that, if you truly enjoy the way the Vendome looks on your face and makes you feel, go for it!
You make the most important point of all and that is - frames look different on different faces 👍. Pick what best flatters yourself, or not. Be free

JessBob

Reaction score
Btw, I don’t understand how there is not a dedicated fanclub for just the Vendome. \

I'm trying to think now if there's a dedicated fanclub for any particular JMM model. The first that comes to mind is the GT, but for most, though not all, I think that's a fanclub for the infamous person who elevated the GT to a grail, not necessarily for the frame itself.

Maybe the closest might be the Pasolini? I've yet to try on a Pasolini, but am looking forward to my first chance to do so. There does seem to be a Pasolini fan club. Maybe a fan club for the LF Sterett too

There are definitely model-agnostic fan clubs of acetate though, e.g. Vintage Tortoise, Camoflage/Fatigue

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vendome Camel today.

1000016954.jpg
1000016955.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an opinion comment for the noobs who are on the hunt. Keep in mind that it seems to me that official photographs on the JMM website - those taken against the white marble background - are taken with retina-burning flash light. I have a few models with which I am more than satisfied but which in real life aren’t quite as blindingly bright as they appear on the website pics. Some of the darker brown torts are almost black in lower light in real life.

D32169

Reaction score

Everybody’s got their faves. Yours sound great. Welcome to our nightmare (addiction). P.S. If you see a desired pair come up for sale on the web, GRAB IT. You’re not the only one looking for it. Some only last for a few minutes.

Last edited:

obecity

Reaction score
Just an opinion comment for the noobs who are on the hunt. Keep in mind that it seems to me that official photographs on the JMM website - those taken against the white marble background - are taken with retina-burning flash light. I have a few models with which I am more than satisfied but which in real life aren’t quite as blindingly bright as they appear on the website pics. Some of the darker brown torts are almost black in lower light in real life.
Excellent point to emphasize.

bernieleung

Reaction score
Yes, this is what I noticed. Certain brown or blue tints that seem light are almost black in real life. I suppose the photography style they use certainly adds more visual interest as otherwise most lenses would come across as black which would be boring

obecity

Reaction score
Yes, this is what I noticed. Certain brown or blue tints that seem light are almost black in real life. I suppose the photography style they use certainly adds more visual interest as otherwise most lenses would come across as black which would be boring
Well if you ask me, they (not just Jacques Marie Mage, but all advertisers) should have realistic photographs posted in addition to the fancy professional stuff. Photos taken by regular people with regular cameras in regular light so the the buyer can see what the product looks like IRL (in real life). Seems like the way to go in my opinion because it’s being the most honest and transparent for the buyer.

bernieleung

Reaction score
Well if you ask me, they (not just Jacques Marie Mage, but all advertisers) should have realistic photographs posted in addition to the fancy professional stuff. Photos taken by regular people with regular cameras in regular light so the the buyer can see what the product looks like IRL (in real life). Seems like the way to go in my opinion because it’s being the most honest and transparent for the buyer.
Couldn’t agree more. Just discovered the brand 2 days ago and I wish there was some sort of shared community google sheet with real life photos of the models, lenses, gradients and etc

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Torino rovers came a few days ago and they are awesome.
Now have:
Molino 55 beluga
Molino 55 London
Torino Noir 5
Torino Havana 6
Torino Rover
Yves Havana 5

Just want an Enzo and something in indigo then I'm done. Right?

D32169

Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more. Just discovered the brand 2 days ago and I wish there was some sort of shared community google sheet with real life photos of the models, lenses, gradients and etc
Facebook JMM page has those pics. Join. FB: JMM Collectors also Iconic Underground Frames. SF members don’t show many pics.

Last edited:

obecity

Reaction score
Torino rovers came a few days ago and they are awesome.
Now have:
Molino 55 beluga
Molino 55 London
Torino Noir 5
Torino Havana 6
Torino Rover
Yves Havana 5

Just want an Enzo and something in indigo then I'm done. Right?
Nice collection! (And no, you won’t be done.) Are you a wide-faced feller like me? I’ve been been fighting the urge to get an Enzo for a couple years. With prices what they are now, I’m very hesitant. I should have done it when they were in the high 500s/low 600s. Dawg dang these flippin prices!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member