• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jackets: Button rule questioned.

Juan

Reaction score
Note Simon Crompton's article says it looks ridiculous.

Item 1 and 2 of your list indicate that your jacket doesn't fit you.

I think the problem is simply that has too high a upper button. It happens sometimes. Just like this:

what if the jacket's button stance is too high... and the jacket actually does look better with only the bottom button done?
i have one jacket like that ... but i can't bring myself to wear it with the bottom button done only for fear of the style police

Juan

Reaction score

Don't tell me this jacket (I got it from google) wouldn't fit better with only the bottom button done. It's asking for it!

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this guy trolling?

If not: OP, the jacket doesn't fit you. /thread

Last edited:

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ok, I should have warned that this is sort of informal clothing. It's a cord blazier, I turn up the lapels and wear the shirt untucked. And probably the jacket fits better this way because:

1- because the upper button is placed too high
2- because it's so slim-fit
3- because I wear my shirt untucked
4- just a matter of personal taste

thank you for your opinions anyway
Those are bad reasons. Don't do it.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's too bad you didn't actually read the article you site. Here's the conclusion,

Of course, they’re all wrong. It looks silly and it ignores how the jacket was designed to be worn. Any man who wears his jacket buttoned in this way should be told to have it altered.

I know I am going to get flamed by the SFUK contingent, but this does seem to be a largely British aberration. I have even seen it on the BBC. Though, thankfully, very rarely.

But I must warn everyone reading this thread: That which has been noticed cannot be unnoticed. You're going to start seeing it everywhere now.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never see it in London on respectable men. Only ever see it on fashionistas, if at all. I don't know what the BBC has got to do with it, since when has that provincial left-wing organization been a measure of anything good?
In the US don't you all wear 3rolls anyway? No surprise you're going to see it more often in London where everyone wears hard two buttons.

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
ok, I should have warned that this is sort of informal clothing. It's a cord blazier, I turn up the lapels and wear the shirt untucked. And probably the jacket fits better this way because:

1- because the upper button is placed too high
2- because it's so slim-fit
3- because I wear my shirt untucked
4- just a matter of personal taste

thank you for your opinions anyway

Juan

Reaction score
Those are bad reasons. Don't do it.

ok

After reading this thread I tried my cord blazer a couple of times more, upper button done...then lower button done... ummm

I've decided you're right, upper button done is better

It's just that it bothers me that my shirt/belt-buckle be exposed below the button

And i refuse to wear a waistcoat

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's possible that the button stance of the jacket you're wearing is too high, which can be problematic. Combine that with the fact that a cord odd jacket is more likely to be worn with casual trousers or jeans which often have a lower rise and the problem may be exacerbated. Try a jacket with a lower buttoning point with slightly higher rise pants and see if that reduces this issue a bit.

Ivar

Reaction score
Luciano Barbera is a fan:

:smarmy::smarmy::smarmy:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads