• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket for winters in the UK?

tarunds

Reaction score
am in the market for winter jackets in the UK. It is mainly cold around 5 degress to -3 degrees, windy and rainy. My requirements are A daily workhouse jacket however formal enough that i can go to work. I am a doctor

some of the options i see are:
1. Parkas:warm but overkill for uk. Canada goose seems a common option but expensive?
2. Down/puffer jacket: these are most commonly seen around, i used to have a burberry detachable down jacket although really stylish however i felt cold in it while walking across street

any other options?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Are you a hospital doctor or a GP? GPs at my surgery seem to dress very casually (like hoodies and t-shirts casually) whereas hospital docs still often wear shirts and ties.
Just mentioning it as this would obviously have implications for your coat.
If you're a doc that can get away with casual then a raglan overcoat is a nice middle ground.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn’t specify length but ‘jacket’ could mean you’re looking for something short. For a rainy, windy winter I’d suggest something a little longer—the Norwegian Rain Single-Breasted coat. You probably want a hood and a water-resistant material. You can buy separate liners for this coat to add warmth. It is my go-to coat for the climate you describe.

tarunds

Reaction score
Sorry, am fairly new to the country and trying to catchup on best way to dress in winters. I am based in South of England near Brighton.
I got a navy Loro piana (90% wool & 10% cashmere ) bespoke overcoat made in India however the challenge i find is many times it rains and is windy so get worried if managing an overcoat is tricky in this kinda weather?
I see some people wearing trench coats but i dont ustd its utility?
Could you wear a cardigan and put a trench coat on to prevent from wind and rains?

I used to have a burberry puffer jacket which recently got nicked and am on a lookout for an alternative?

My appropriate style would be a little semi formal ranging from chinos to trousers as bottoms.

Canada goose jackets look nice but mighty expensive and dont know if they are worth spending? Also dont know what length would be better for this kinda all purpose jacket? Waist or till thighs?

Other parkas or jackets by north face and rab are too sporty to wear to work. The only option i found reasonable was this one but i dont know anything about the brand?

Dubarry of Ireland Urlingford Parka

tarunds

Reaction score
You didn’t specify length but ‘jacket’ could mean you’re looking for something short. For a rainy, windy winter I’d suggest something a little longer—the Norwegian Rain Single-Breasted coat. You probably want a hood and a water-resistant material. You can buy separate liners for this coat to add warmth. It is my go-to coat for the climate you describe.
Is it warm enough and how do you layer it?
does it work in peak windy winters in UK?

tarunds

Reaction score
Are you a hospital doctor or a GP? GPs at my surgery seem to dress very casually (like hoodies and t-shirts casually) whereas hospital docs still often wear shirts and ties.
Just mentioning it as this would obviously have implications for your coat.
If you're a doc that can get away with casual then a raglan overcoat is a nice middle ground.
Thanks, i have a nice overcoat that i recently got made but issue is with getting wet when walking on street after parking to the office or market etc.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it warm enough and how do you layer it?
does it work in peak windy winters in UK?
With the full liner it’s comfortable at -10C over a sportcoat and tie. Without the liner I can wear it in the spring or fall. I live in Michigan in the US. The fabric is windproof and does very well in windy wet weather.

C010101

Reaction score
I would avoid the Canada goose jacket, especially in the UK. The kind of people who often don those types of jackets carry somewhat of a negative connotation. If you're looking for something a bit smart, but not overly formal then give Ted Baker a browse. They have nice peacoat jackets, which I believe are reasonably priced and good quality.

tarunds

Reaction score
With the full liner it’s comfortable at -10C over a sportcoat and tie. Without the liner I can wear it in the spring or fall. I live in Michigan in the US. The fabric is windproof and does very well in windy wet weather.

Just wondering if this is the one?

& the liner

The only other alternative i could find here is a wax jacket by barbour which also comes with a liner.
Could you compare the two?

Also, i am a avg built, Med size so is it similar or different to usual sizes as i am unsure if they have outlet/stockists in the uk?
Also, does the liner and it being waterproof make it too hot?

Thanks

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is the one?
Yes, that is the model I was referring to.

& the liner

there is also a vest liner if you don't need/want something as warm.
The only other alternative i could find here is a wax jacket by barbour which also comes with a liner.
Could you compare the two?

There are many Barbour models. I've only tried on the Beaufort and Bedale models -- don't think I tried either on with a liner. The aesthetic is obviously different. You'll have to decide for yourself which you prefer. The Beaufort and Bedale jackets are much shorter than the NR coat, so you won't get as much coverage in inclement weather.

Also, i am a avg built, Med size so is it similar or different to usual sizes as i am unsure if they have outlet/stockists in the uk?

The NR SB runs small so I'd size up. I am a pretty standard 36R in tailored clothing and a size small in most brands, and I sized up to a Medium in the NR Single Breasted.
Also, does the liner and it being waterproof make it too hot?
I am not sure what context you mean by "too hot". I wrote above that the jacket + liner works down to -10C over a sportcoat and tie. Above 5-10C you might want to take the liner out. The nice thing is that the liner(s) give you considerable flexibility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads