• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Because it has a collar.
So? You wear a v-neck or a crewneck sweater over a collar, don't you? It's the same idea as wearing a crewneck sweatshirt over a shirt. Unless of course this is some other wild radical idea that only I've ever heard about it or worn.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
What the **** is this ****?

Margin on collabs is lower than margin on normal stuff. It's ****** and deceptive, but it's hardly complicated. End of explanation.

Fight the power Arethusa.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Have heard good things about smart wool for running will look into thicker socks for winter.

ya joel I feel you on that, boasting about american made and then cheapening on fabric = pure marketing

Hard to beat the 2 layer combo that Army Rangers, Coast Guard rescue units, Fire Departments etc use. First a nylon or polypro liner to wick moisture followed by 75% wool 25% cotton socks for warmth and absorbtion of sweat...

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-6140.asp

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/pro...20Sock%20Liner

Haven't tried these but appears to be the all-in-one solution...

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Army-Cold-.../dp/B0006PL9AY

I remember an article several years back where a reporter went on a 12 hour night patrol with the Army Rangers. After 8 hours he had to be taken to the ER for severe foot injuries. Probably was using ****** socks with boots that weren't broken in enough and didn't change socks as they got wet from sweat.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wish I could spend bucks on socks. Can't do it. I go cheap-o on socks. On the other hand, if I had access to a good Army post military clothing store, I'd stock up on a bunch of heavy-duty socks.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just for kicks, I've sent an e-mail to "Ask Jack" about this. Awaiting reply.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
So? You wear a v-neck or a crewneck sweater over a collar, don't you? It's the same idea as wearing a crewneck sweatshirt over a shirt. Unless of course this is some other wild radical idea that only I've ever heard about it or worn.

I suppose the same people here who are resisting the henley over shirt look would also balk at the idea of a shirt over a sweater? Loosen up, people!

Look at about fifth to seventh page in from the start http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/CrewCuts.jsp

Haha, there's no movement to resist, you're the only person documented in our history who is doing it. V-neck or crewneck sweater over a button down shirt makes sense, it's conventional layering and both are business/office attire clothing just like a cardigan over a shirt is so nothing radical about that at all. To me, a henley is far too casual or shall I say much more intended to be worn with non collared shirting or as underwear. It's like pairing a button down with a sweatshirt, which is a terrible combination IMO, to me it just screams of a confused man.

And the flannel shirts over the sweater from the kiddies section you posted is pretty standard. Flannels/overshirts/shirt jackets are for that very reason. But hey, fashion is also supposed to be fun, I agree so if you like it keep expressing yo'self!

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for kicks, I've sent an e-mail to "Ask Jack" about this. Awaiting reply.

I forgot about, Jack. Haha report back.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hmm, the "confused man" jab kinda hurts. Here I thought I was being rather devil-may-care. In a contrived kind of way, of course.
wink.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have to say that, in part, I was reacting to all the bad-looking henleys I was seeing in the office lately (I work in an extremely casual work environment). These guys with big pot bellies in orange henleys a size too big over hairy chests, no undershirt. These same guys give me **** for "dressing up" in my secret wash button downs. So it was sort of like, OK, look, here's a henley that fits right and that's a good color AND that I'll wear over a smart shirt.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, the "confused man" jab kinda hurts. Here I thought I was being rather devil-may-care. In a contrived kind of way, of course.
wink.gif

More like devil-may-cry or devil-wears-Prada? It wasn't a jab at you personally though, I just know I've seen the sweatshirt over a button down look done, and it is usually on Grandfather's or OLDER men so they get a pass (I mean I just can't be upset at an elderly man say wearing pants/trousers with running shoes, how can you?), but everyone else should be stoned immediately for attempting this.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
More like devil-may-cry or devil-wears-Prada? It wasn't a jab at you personally though, I just know I've seen the sweatshirt over a button down look done, and it is usually on Grandfather's or OLDER men so they get a pass (I mean I just can't be upset at an elderly man say wearing pants/trousers with running shoes, how can you?), but everyone else should be stoned immediately for attempting this.
Ha ha, OK, I get what yr saying. I think the difference here is what I'm wearing isn't a traditional looking henley, that is, I'm not wearing the waffle fabric, and I'm wearing nontraditional (albeit basic) colors, like dark grey and navy.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For that matter, I saw something on a J. Crew model that intrigued me--a collared shirt sticking out from the neck of a cashmere turtleneck. That combination had never occurred to me, and yet I like it.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For that matter, I saw something on a J. Crew model that intrigued me--a collared shirt sticking out from the neck of a cashmere turtleneck. That combination had never occurred to me, and yet I like it.

Don't even get me started...
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads