• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Got the Military Mockneck Wool Cardigan and it's time for a review. I've been wanting this thing since last fall and had waited patiently for it to go on sale. However, it never did and they all disappeared so I was bummed they all sold out last year. They are back this year and I'm not sure if they really sold out or if they put last years stock in storage refusing to put them on clearance? Anyway, I checked last years catalog and discovered it was priced at $188. This year the price is $168 so they did bring the price down a bit. I avoided paying full price because I seem to remember someone mentioning the mockneck was flimsy. For that reason I fully expected that I would end up returning the item, or perhaps because it would be too boxy.

I called customer service to get sizing and it sounded like the large would work best - I was right. I'm an XL in just about everything and sometimes XXL (I'm 6'4"). With this baby you must size down! Here is the fit pic...

3995148114_59135e88c5_o.jpg

Any concerns about the neck being flimsy are now gone. The mockneck is thick, substantial and wraps around the neck like an Anaconda! I tried my best to get it to flop around or lay down like a standard collar but it screams "Put me back up where I belong *****!"

It is a tad boxy around the waist but it's not bad. If I keep it pulled down then it's fine but the more you move around you'll notice a little extra fabric flab hanging around the waist. After taking the pics I realized the J Crew models only fasten the middle two buttons. In my pic I buttoned it all the way down so I'd be a disgrace as a model. Unfastening the bottom 2 buttons like the J Crew models would maybe solve the aformentioned issue.

Surprisingly, for 7 guage wool I was comfortable wearing it while it was 70 degrees outside. I was expecting to be sweating profusely but it was actually quite comfy. It's something you can wear out on a cool windy night or just hanging around the house sipping heated Brandy. In cold weather this will be off the charts comfortable and your neck especially will be nice and toasty!

Bottom line is that I like it alot and don't want to let it go. The only question is will it ever go on sale? There are certain products they never put on sale and this is one of them. I guess J Crew feels it's a good product so if you want it cheap their response would be "Tough ****, it's not gonna happen sweet heart."

So there you have it, any questions hit me up. Also, here's the link to the product - I think they only sell it online.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...neck/18222.jsp

jpo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Got the Military Mockneck Wool Cardigan and it's time for a review. I've been wanting this thing since last fall and had waited patiently for it to go on sale. However, it never did and they all disappeared so I was bummed they all sold out last year. They are back this year and I'm not sure if they really sold out or if they put last years stock in storage refusing to put them on clearance? Anyway, I checked last years catalog and discovered it was priced at $188. This year the price is $168 so they did bring the price down a bit. I avoided paying full price because I seem to remember someone mentioning the mockneck was flimsy. For that reason I fully expected that I would end up returning the item, or perhaps because it would be too boxy.

I called customer service to get sizing and it sounded like the large would work best - I was right. I'm an XL in just about everything and sometimes XXL (I'm 6'4"). With this baby you must size down! Here is the fit pic...

Any concerns about the neck being flimsy are now gone. The mockneck is thick, substantial and wraps around the neck like an Anaconda! I tried my best to get it to flop around or lay down like a standard collar but it screams "Put me back up where I belong *****!"

It is a tad boxy around the waist but it's not bad. If I keep it pulled down then it's fine but the more you move around you'll notice a little extra fabric flab hanging around the waist. After taking the pics I realized the J Crew models only fasten the middle two buttons. In my pic I buttoned it all the way down so I'd be a disgrace as a model. Unfastening the bottom 2 buttons like the J Crew models would maybe solve the aformentioned issue.

Surprisingly, for 7 guage wool I was comfortable wearing it while it was 70 degrees outside. I was expecting to be sweating profusely but it was actually quite comfy. It's something you can wear out on a cool windy night or just hanging around the house sipping heated Brandy. In cold weather this will be off the charts comfortable and your neck especially will be nice and toasty!

Bottom line is that I like it alot and don't want to let it go. The only question is will it ever go on sale? There are certain products they never put on sale and this is one of them. I guess J Crew feels it's a good product so if you want it cheap their response would be "Tough ****, it's not gonna happen sweet heart."

So there you have it, any questions hit me up. Also, here's the link to the product - I think they only sell it online.

Thanks for the great review of that mocneck. I tried that on last week at my store and the L fit perfect. For whatever reason regular cardigans look weird and kinda girly on me, so I don't own any. But this military mock has just the right structure and thickness to look good on me. So I really dug it and it fit great, but could not resolve to paying retail and set it down and left! I said I would wait for it to go on sale, but from your experience that may not happen. Sounds like I need to suck up my pride of never paying retail and get it. I'm very glad to hear you say it's well worth it at retail, that seals it up for me.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Nice! I was hoping to see this in the store. J. Crew does seem to have quite a few things that never go on sale. It's always the best stuff.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So I'll pose a noobie kind of quesiton: $70 lambswool 7-guage cadigan (not shawl collar) in navy blue with sort of wide grey trim. Yes or no?

ennui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
150 is fairly heavy for a 5' 5.5" guy. An identically built guy at 6' 0.5" would weigh 185, going by the 5lb per inch rule of thumb.

I'm also the same height, and currently weigh 142, and need to get down to 135, so I would agree with this assessment. But if the extra pounds are mostly muscle, I don't think it's such a big deal as far as fit is concerned, depending on where it is distributed on the body.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's the key thing--whether the weight is muscle or fat. I reached sort of a plateau in my weight loss last year because I was also working out and adding muscle. So while I'm a few pounds over my ideal weight, I'm not bothered by it because I don't look fat and all the health factors (blood pressure etc) are good.

hydrogen

Reaction score
Got the Military Mockneck Wool Cardigan ...
Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions, Vernon-Dozier -- a lot of helpful information there.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bye4now122
I'd be all over it without the trim, for some reason I just can't deal with cardigans with trim, don't think they look good
redface.gif

Normally would agree with you. I don't like piping on thin cardigans. For some reason this works with the lambswool for me. Does 70 seem an okay price for a lambswool sweater? Forgot to mention it also has one of those varsity double stripes on the left sleeve. So it's rather casual looking.

sccoopy

Reaction score
I know you guys all love Jcrew, but after owning a few secret wash shirts, I found they don't drape nicely. The shirts I have definitely don't fit tight. Is there anything wrong?

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Normally would agree with you. I don't like piping on thin cardigans. For some reason this works with the lambswool for me. Does 70 seem an okay price for a lambswool sweater?

Forgot to mention it also has one of those varsity double stripes on the left sleeve. So it's rather casual looking.

Seems like a lot for Lambswool. I just got the Merino cardigan last week. It is gray with charcoal contrast trim. I got it on sale because the store was having a 1 year anniversary sale. It's nice, but I wouldn't pay the full price of $69.50 for it tho. Bloomingdale's has better merino cardigans for the same price on sale. Maybe less.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads