• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

reddead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by basho
The premium officer's chino is thicker. Unfortunately, its cut is really pretty baggy. I wish they'd use the heavier weight fabric for their slimmer cuts.

yeah, I spent a while looking for a quality pair of chinos and the premium officers chinos were way too baggy. the broken in chinos were okay, the cut was slimmer (but still not perfect) but the quality was worse.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
I've worn mine with no undershirt before and I've even dried mine in the dryer and haven't experience what you have. You must've dried on ludicrous speed heat.

i had a gray one do this...but the others haven't....

the gray one feels like crap now.

bsyde82

Reaction score
I have to say, the 484 cut is really good. The perfect amount of slimness and taper for me...while the denim and hardware, of course, do not rise to the level of my other "premium pairs", the fit is actually superior to all my current pairs. I would say my most comparable pair is the apc petit standard, but the 484 fits better.

scott123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsyde82
I have to say, the 484 cut is really good. The perfect amount of slimness and taper for me...while the denim and hardware, of course, do not rise to the level of my other "premium pairs", the fit is actually superior to all my current pairs. I would say my most comparable pair is the apc petit standard, but the 484 fits better.

Do you have fit pictures? I've heard mixed reviews of this cut...

Morgan

Reaction score
I tried on the 484 and wasn't thrilled - a little too much taper for me. They tapered slightly more, it seemed, than my 5EPxSF jeans, which are my slimmest pair. It's been a while since I even tried on a pair of jeans that weren't APC, 5EP, Eternal or Iron Heart so they felt shockingly insubstantial.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody provide a run-down of what cuts and styles are available.
I have only seen the pair listed on the website.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is what is available:

1967 Levi's 505 Dead Stock Jean ($195)
One of the first pre-shrunk styles created by Levi's, the 1967-505 is a "˜60s fashion icon with slimmer styling"”a fit that has a devoted following even today. The Dead Stock is a ready-for-hard-labor jean in heavyweight red selvedge denim made just as it was decades ago"”on original narrow looms. (Slim Fit, Slightly Tapered Leg, Zipper Fly)

1947 Levi's 501 Brain Dead Jean ($325)
The definitive five-pocket jean and quintessential 501 model. The Brain Dead jean is made from red selvedge denim that's hardly washed, and lightly scuffed for an authentic aged finish. (Regular Fit, Straight Leg, Button Fly)

1967 Levi's 505 Tiny Dark Jean ($295)
One of the first pre-shrunk styles created by Levi's, the 1967-505 is a "˜60s fashion icon with slimmer styling"”a fit that has a devoted following even today. The Tiny Dark red selvage finish is well worn and will mold to your shape. (Slim Fit, Slightly Tapered Leg, Zipper Fly)

1937 501 Barren Land Jean ($395)
The epitome of classic vintage style, the1937-501 is one of the last authentic workwear jeans before clothes rationing during World War II. The Barren Land finish is hard worn and minimally washed. Faded abrasions against its deep blue indigo color create varying sharp contrasts. (Regular Fit, Relaxed Seat, Loose Leg, Button Fly)

1947 Levi's 501 Exile Jean ($295)
Regarded as the definitive five-pocket jean and the quintessential 501 model. The Exile finish features patches of wear, creasing and rust on authentically worn-in cotton denim. (Regular Fit, Straight Leg, Button Fly)

Also they have the 1947 501s available on the site

synovoid

Reaction score
may try to size down 1

dont like the regular chino fabric

Originally Posted by basho
The premium officer's chino is thicker. Unfortunately, its cut is really pretty baggy. I wish they'd use the heavier weight fabric for their slimmer cuts.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good idea. They seem to stretch quite a bit. Then you wash and dry them and they fit slimmer, but stretch rather quickly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads