• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IT Interviews

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
That might work in Cali in 1999.

FTFY

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Yes, except that she's not in IT.

Yes. She CAN'T be in IT...
smile.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Actually i'd love to be able to meet a whole new bunch of people and have them think that i dress well from the start. That way I wouldn't have to think twice about wearing nice clothes for fear of being ostracised.

I have the same problem.

Keroberos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
To be honest I would have thought it's better off dressing well from the start. As long as it's well and not flashy, they either won't notice or they will notice and just simply think "o he's just that guy who dresses well" after a while.

This. I'm not certain I'd want to work somewhere that deducted points for wearing a suit to the interview.

davewe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Keroberos
This. I'm not certain I'd want to work somewhere that deducted points for wearing a suit to the interview.
I don't know if it's accurate to say that points are deducted but it's just a statement that you may not know the environment of the company you're applying to. I have the dual background of working for many years assisting clients in interviewing and for the past 7 years I have worked in a software engineering environment (I'm a tech writer). While no one in my current job (a Fortune 500 company) wears a jacket or tie, let alone a suit, I think it's appropriate to dress nicely but modestly for the interview. A shirt and tie without a jacket as someone suggested, a jacket without the tie. IMHO a suit is too much. I rarely see our CEO in a suit. Bottom line - try to know a bit about the environment you're apply for and then show that you can easily fit into that environment.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Wearing a suit is pretty standard. The advice to not outdress your employer is laughable. Of course you are going to, that is the nature of IT.

The people that posted they deduct points for wearing a suit were being ITGs, it doesn't happen and it is doubtful they even have much say in the process.

There is a 0% chance someone will pick up on the value of your suit. Worst case, if you were to wear a bespoke, they would think you were wearing a sut that was too small. (Every one else wears baggy suits)

I have never interviewed someone not wearing a suit, even for entry level engineering. Things used to be different in CA, but I don't think so anymore. Who knows, they are practaically savages anyway.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
Wearing a suit is pretty standard. The advice to not outdress your employer is laughable. Of course you are going to, that is the nature of IT.

+1 for the most part.

If the company you're interviewing with is widely known to be a very casual place then it would be ill advised to wear a suit.

Otherwise I think a suit is perfectly fine for an interview in IT; hell, an interview is one of the few times some people even put on a suit.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny/Horror story?

One of my first interview experiences was also one of the weirdest (this was at a well known game dev company in the Seattle area). Everything went well until the third guy, who apparently lived in the offices and was wearing only underwear and a tshirt.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Funny/Horror story?

One of my first interview experiences was also one of the weirdest (this was at a well known game dev company in the Seattle area). Everything went well until the third guy, who apparently lived in the offices and was wearing only underwear and a tshirt.

OMG lol, I just spit out some of my food onto my keyboard....ewwww

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything went well until the third guy, who apparently lived in the offices and was wearing only underwear and a tshirt.

Burberry or D&G underwear?
smile.gif

calcio

Reaction score
Funny/Horror story?

Valve? I'm going to call shenanigans on this story.

If you are interviewing in the tech industry you should call the recruiter and ask them what the appropriate dress attire is for the interview.

Showing up in a suit for a technical position to a company like Google and Microsoft will be uncomfortable for you and the interviewer. When the developer interviewing you is wearing a t-shirt or polo and shorts or jeans you don't want to be in a suit. However you don't dress down to their level because you want to show a certain level of professionalism.

It really depends on the company and their culture. If you can't find out I'd suggest a nice dress shirt with no tie and slacks with dress shoes. But I'm on the engineering side of things so IT might be a different animal.

JDL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
+1 for the most part.

If the company you're interviewing with is widely known to be a very casual place then it would be ill advised to wear a suit.

Otherwise I think a suit is perfectly fine for an interview in IT; hell, an interview is one of the few times some people even put on a suit.

I agree, I have been in IT (but not the IT industry) full time for over 35 years and a senior manager. director or CIO since the mid 80's, at anything above entry level (the only ones I would see) I would not be impressed with someone presenting themselves sloppily dressed. I does not show respect for the process and therefore poor judgement so they would be unlikely to get the job.

At the same time and for the same reason I would not dream of meeting a candidate without wearing a tie, even when it's 90F and 95% humidity outside and I have travelled for a day to get to the interview - which I have had to do on a number of occasions.

May be different in the US but whenever I have interviewed for IT management jobs over there candidates have (normally) turned up, as in Europe and Asia, at least with a jacket, tie and clean shoes which is fine with me as it's not meant to be a fashion parade.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i went to my last IT interview (for the company i am currently working at) last year in my Mani navy blue suit that was tucked away in my closet of my old apartment for the longest time.

as i went into the elevator (had reflective doors) i realized i had two huge mothholes eaten into the rear shoulder of my jacket. i still got the job though.
i immediately trashed the suit upon coming home.

not a notable or funny story. but something.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
whats wrong with the old IT standby's of Teva sandals, white socks, ratty pants and a tee shirt with an imprint of either an internet meme or a video game that was popular before you were born.
FFY....no charge. There is alot of IT where i work, and I've also networked among IT people. My brother is in IT as well. Might want to wear a suit, leave off the jacket if the office is casual. If the office is really casual, then remove the tie, you're best bet is to call ahead and ask the secretary what people are expected to wear for an interview. Dressing for IT is like a man interact with animals in the wild. You need to know how they act in their natural environment before you step foot inside since the office cultures vary wildly.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hakamura_Niroki