• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this too tight?

mrballs

Reaction score
It looks too tight to me. I can see the grey portions of the underlying panel sticking out intermittently due to the pulling. You're gonna feel really uncomfortable and restricted when u throw your shoulders back even just a little and when pulling your arms back.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly think it's too tight.

Then again, there are people - some of them on SF - who find nothing wrong with clothing which strikes me as ridiculously tight. So whatever answer it is you want to hear, I'm sure you'll hear it from various parties.

White Lotus

Reaction score

I had my tailor alter this shirt, is it too tight?
more pictures. Side picture and back. Looks tight. Your clothes should drape nicely over your body. There shouldn't be streaks on the garment. Btw can u button the neck?

EzraPaul

Reaction score
There isn't a consensus on the tightness of casual shirts. If you are under 40, then your peers will probably not think twice about it. More a matter of preference than anything.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can sit down and feel that your buttons are not going to pop off, you are probably ok.

toplel

Reaction score
more pictures. Side picture and back. Looks tight. Your clothes should drape nicely over your body. There shouldn't be streaks on the garment. Btw can u button the neck?
I can button the neck. Here it is from the back, sorry no side pic.

It was taken in by the tailor who went WAY to far, he's already redone it once but looks like its still too tight?

When he was pinning I thought he was going to take it in at the sides & add the darts, but when I look at the shirt the stitching at the sides looks fairly normal. I don't understand is how the shirt suddenly got so small
baldy[1].gif

I'm NOT under 40 (52) but look younger.

Last edited:

toplel

Reaction score
It's back at the tailor. Fingers crossed.

That back pic shows my sloped shoulder pretty clearly tbh.

EzraPaul

Reaction score

I can button the neck. Here it is from the back, sorry no side pic. It was taken in by the tailor who went WAY to far, he's already redone it once but looks like its still too tight? When he was pinning I thought he was going to take it in at the sides & add the darts, but when I look at the shirt the stitching at the sides looks fairly normal. I don't understand is how the shirt suddenly got so small
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
I'm NOT under 40 (52) but look younger.
It looks like cotton and cotton doesn't usually "heal" from stitch marks the way that wool does, so if he let's the darts back out, you'll most likely always see the former stitching.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After seeing the back picture, I definitely agree with the others...much too tight.

Cmendressed

Reaction score
Your first thought must have been, it is to tight. But since you've invested in alterations, you don't want it to be. I'm sorry to be the bearer....it appears uncomfortable and that your trying to hard to show off your vary well sculped upper....

toplel

Reaction score
I'm sorry to be the bearer....it appears uncomfortable and that your trying to hard to show off your vary well sculped upper....

Clothes are supposed to make you look good this is why we're all here. We've progressed beyond basic warmth :)

When the tailor first pinned it it was not tight whatsoever. Post alterations I tried it on and it was WAY too tight - it's already been let out once in the picture you're looking at.

So it's fair to say the tailor made a mistake - this is what I wanted to establish here.

With that done the the shirt is back with him to be fixed for a second time. Unfortunately summer is now over and I'll have little use for it until next year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads