• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the taste on this forum too "nouveau riche"?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
See my thread on Safeway Select products. This is where my taste/budget takes me. I might be nouveau pauvre. I used to have more money. For a minute.
smile.gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There may be alot of brand love on this forum but for the most part people are recommending brands of higher quality for the same money. For example, someone comes on and asks about an Armani overcoat and a poster recommends Canali instead. I think this is because to recommend someone go Bespoke over Armani is too much of a step, but to switch to a better brand is easy. If someone asked about a 5K OTR suit, the alternative to that is going bespoke and quite a reasonable response in that case.

That is the best example I can think of now. But for the most part I think this forum is pretty liberal when it comes to recommending things other than classic brand names, and for the most part, when they do recommend brands, they are recommending quality brands over lesser quality brands.

HKTenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan Jr.
Is the taste on this forum too "nouveau riche"?
Well, in a word, yes, by definition. It is nouveau riche to obsess over clothing and appearance - the ancien riche simply do as their forebears have done, and tend to patronize tailors for generations whether or not they get the best outcomes in terms of shoulder pitch. Certainly there's no insecurity about knowing and following "the rules," because the customs of the ancien riche make the rules. Of course: so what? The very concept of "nouveau riche" is but silly snobbery with no basis in actual quality. We are most of us snobs in some way, but hopefully about things that matter...

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HKTenor
Well, in a word, yes, by definition. It is nouveau riche to obsess over clothing and appearance - the ancien riche simply do as their forebears have done, and tend to patronize tailors for generations whether or not they get the best outcomes in terms of shoulder pitch. Certainly there's no insecurity about knowing and following "the rules," because the customs of the ancien riche make the rules, and

Of course: so what? The very concept of "nouveau riche" is but silly snobbery with no basis in actual quality. We are most of us snobs in some way, but hopefully about things that matter...

When I think of noveau riche, I think of people buying **** because the brand will make them seem rich. It's about showing off your new wealth with a lack of poise, discretion, or taste. I don't think this forum fits that bill at all.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the OP, why don't you check out my bespoke Lego artwork? They're handmade to your specifications. Just ask Gollum there. He says "the mosaics, they are precious."

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HKTenor
Well, in a word, yes, by definition. It is nouveau riche to obsess over clothing and appearance - the ancien riche simply do as their forebears have done, and tend to patronize tailors for generations whether or not they get the best outcomes in terms of shoulder pitch. Certainly there's no insecurity about knowing and following "the rules," because the customs of the ancien riche make the rules, and

Of course: so what? The very concept of "nouveau riche" is but silly snobbery with no basis in actual quality. We are most of us snobs in some way, but hopefully about things that matter...

No, "by definition" it means nothing of the sort.

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
I would have to agree with the op a bit. There are people here just as brand whoreish as other people. They just upgraded themselves from what most people see as designer brands, ie burberry gucci prada etc, to things like canali kiton etc.
Quality and fit is a big thing on this forum for sure, but make sure it's appropriate. if your 80k or something in debt, don't buy an expensive suit because of it's great quality. buy a cheaper suit and go make some income to pay it off.
Also don't buy things just because other people buy it. They may choose to buy certain items because of the weather, age or other factors. For example people may choose to spend $ on a quality umbrella because it rains alot there. Where I live it rains maybe 10-14 days of the year. And of most of those the only time i step into the rain is to get into and out of my car which takes 30 secs.

HKTenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
No, "by definition" it means nothing of the sort.

Alright - too literal on my part. Consider my hand slapped with a ruler! I stand by the essence of my response, though.

I don't think nouveau riche should be a pejorative, and so I would distinguish it from simple "brand-whoring" (while conceding that the venn diagram containing both has substantial overlap). I think perhaps the latter term better describes what the OP had in mind.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yawn123_#21
I would have to agree with the op a bit. There are people here just as brand whoreish as other people. They just upgraded themselves from what most people see as designer brands, ie burberry gucci prada etc, to things like canali kiton etc.
Quality and fit is a big thing on this forum for sure, but make sure it's appropriate. if your 80k or something in debt, don't buy an expensive suit because of it's great quality. buy a cheaper suit and go make some income to pay it off.
Also don't buy things just because other people buy it. They may choose to buy certain items because of the weather, age or other factors. For example people may choose to spend $ on a quality umbrella because it rains alot there. Where I live it rains maybe 10-14 days of the year. And of most of those the only time i step into the rain is to get into and out of my car which takes 30 secs.

But people do talk about "price per use."

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see a lot of newly rich crap here. I see much more trying to look rich kinda of thing going on.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allreds
Nope. These just exude the class of old money.
lol8[1].gif

Those that come from money do what they want, when they what.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Those that come from money do what they want, when they what.

Depends on how old and tenuous the money is.

But, she sang it the best:

Them thats got shall get
Them thats not shall lose
So the Bible said and it still is news
Mama may have, papa may have
But God bless the child thats got his own
Thats got his own

Yes, the strong gets more
While the weak ones fade
Empty pockets dont ever make the grade
Thats got his own

Money, youve got lots of friends
Crowding round the door
When youre gone, spending ends
They dont come no more
Rich relations give
Crust of bread and such
You can help yourself
But dont take too much
Thats got his own

Thats got his own
He just worry bout nothin
Cause hes got his own

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics