• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iOS 5

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
They've been getting **** for a while now, ever since iOS moved to Outlook-synch capabilities and Android came out.
True, but with the new iMessenger, there really is no compelling reason to stay with RIM.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of the new features are ideas from jail broken apps. Which is awesome, less reason to jailbreak.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
iOS 5 is looking mighty fine. the twitter integration (if you are big into twitter) is really cool too.

Oh great, so one can now tell the world everything one is doing with one's iPhone.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
^^ this was expected though. iTunes Match. HOPE TO JESUS THIS WORKS. going to work with EVERY song, legally or illegally obtained.
Hopefully it will be available outside of the US as well. Main reason why these cloud music services have been a complete fail so far. Sent from Tapatalk.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously excited about all this. A bit sad I'll have to wait until fall. It was amazing to me just how much was blatantly ripped off from other makers. iMessenger = BBM, Safari Reader = Instapaper, Notification Centre = Android notifications, Homescreen camera = Windows phone camera. Reminders and Newsstand reproduce the functionality of apps that already exist. Wireless sync is obviously huge. The "you no longer need a computer" aspect is great if you're offering one to your doddering grandma but pointless in real life where we all have huge media libraries to manage. I think the biggest thing they've done is Airplay sync. Streaming directly to a TV in real time is going to be huge in corporate settings (business presentations) and gaming. You buy an apple TV for $100 and you can stream all your games to the TV while using the phone/tablet as a controller. iCloud is pretty great, though I don't have more than one apple device so I'm not sure I'll be able to take substantial advantage of it. Here's the official list of updates from Apple, and here's Engadget's version.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Interesting view on iCloud/iTunes Match: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music iTunes Match will apparently recognize your pirated mp3s and replace them with 256Kbps AAC audio files.
Including all my low bitrate ones I downloaded from Napster ten years ago.... nice.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Apparently Apple neglected to tell either AT&T or Verizon about iMessenger. Since it uses SMS its functionally like free text messaging to any other person who has an iPhone.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Apparently Apple neglected to tell either AT&T or Verizon about iMessenger. Since it uses SMS its functionally like free text messaging to any other person who has an iPhone.
But it still uses data rates, so... Also, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T / Verizon decided to limit this feature like they do with tethering
ffffuuuu.gif
american cell phone carriers,
ffffuuuu.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Until every teenager on earth owns an iPhone, text plans aren't going anywhere.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
But it still uses data rates, so... Also, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T / Verizon decided to limit this feature like they do with tethering
ffffuuuu.gif
american cell phone carriers,
ffffuuuu.gif

True but I doubt that would happen since this is Apple's attempt to kill off RIM.
Originally Posted by holymadness
Until every teenager on earth owns an iPhone, text plans aren't going anywhere.
True, but if everyone in your circle of friends owns an iPhone, you could severely cut back on your text message plan.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've been getting fucked for a while now, ever since iOS moved to Outlook-synch capabilities and Android came out.

Originally Posted by TRINI
RIM is fucked.

True, but with the new iMessenger, there really is no compelling reason to stay with RIM.

Exactly. They're proper fucked now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads