• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

matt_r_rules

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New member here, and to be honest, I know very little about fashion or style. I just turned 29, and over the last few years, I've been growing out of my "punk" phase. I'm looking to learn how to dress well, develop a style that isnt all black and band tees.

I've been dabbling in work wear for the last few years, but looking to expand my horizons.

If anyone has a good resource to point a complete beginner to, please share!
I'll catch you all around

capybara_red

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New member looking to learn and develop a personal sense of style. I'm hoping to find references for good tailors and shops in my region as well.

I'm 28 and hailing from São Paulo, Brazil.
1f1e7-1f1f7.svg

Thanks all!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New member here, and to be honest, I know very little about fashion or style. I just turned 29, and over the last few years, I've been growing out of my "punk" phase. I'm looking to learn how to dress well, develop a style that isnt all black and band tees.

I've been dabbling in work wear for the last few years, but looking to expand my horizons.

If anyone has a good resource to point a complete beginner to, please share!
I'll catch you all around
Hi Matt_r_rules, the desire to expand one’s horizons, to learn and seek to develop a personal style is essentially why we’re all here. As has been oft quoted, ‘the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step’. Welcome to the forum!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New member looking to learn and develop a personal sense of style. I'm hoping to find references for good tailors and shops in my region as well.

I'm 28 and hailing from São Paulo, Brazil.
1f1e7-1f1f7.svg

Thanks all!
Hello capybara_red, on a personal note I too have family in Sāo Paulo. As I’ve just mentioned to another new member, that to learn & develop a sense of personal style is a journey that all members here have embarked upon. Sorry, but I’ve no references or recommendations to offer you for tailors or shops in your region. I’m sure that in time you’ll discover who they are and where they’re located. Welcome!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Ranciere69, my personal recommendation would be to stay with S&P for now rather than invest in Hickey Freeman or BB. S&P offers superior quality at a much better price point, imo. When you have some time and a bit more money to spend check out J. MUSER in NYC.
Happy hunting! Welcome to the forum!

fuhokimaremai29

Reaction score
Hi, I'm from germany and in my mid fifties.
At least 15 years ago I was a constant lurker on this forum and especially the "classic menswear" section but life changed and I stopped obsessing.

What remained is my love of classic english shoes( Trickers and Edward Green) but my main interest are actually more military inspired smaller brands.

As half italian I like brands like "1st pat" or "Valstar" and my anglophile angle appreciates "Private White VC" or "SEH Kelly".

It's becoming less about fitting into society but enjoying craftsmanship and understated clothing.

free_chip

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Chip from Cleveland Been lurking for a while. Finally decided to register. Enjoy learning about better clothing and shoes.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least 15 years ago I was a constant lurker on this forum and especially the "classic menswear" section but life changed and I stopped obsessing.

What remained is my love of classic english shoes( Trickers and Edward Green) but my main interest are actually more military inspired smaller brands.

As half italian I like brands like "1st pat" or "Valstar" and my anglophile angle appreciates "Private White VC" or "SEH Kelly".

It's becoming less about fitting into society but enjoying craftsmanship and understated clothing.
Hi there, based upon what you’ve written it seems that you’ve reached a sweet spot in your sartorial adventures and indeed in life itself.
’It’s becoming less about fitting into society but enjoying craftsmanship and understated clothing’ is a motto that should itself be branded. Salute!

aaronag

Reaction score
Hi Stylers,

I'm Aaron, just turned 50 last year and trying cultivate a much better style than the minimum standards one I've been maintaining for too long - just picking up whatever from box stores. I went full time WFH right when COVID hit, so I've focused mostly on picking up joggers and T-shirts with some hoodies thrown in. I've been moving up in my career, so I'd like to look better when I do need to go I to the office, and I just want to look and feel better generally. I was looking to expand my wardrobe by buying some useful and versatile pieces from Spier and Mackay (for dressier stuff), Taylor Stitch and more work wear style brands (my khakis/chinos/whatever you're supposed to call them are Dickies 874s, and my workwear experience was from 20 years ago when I wore Carhartts working in subway tunnels), and Outlier (not so much from the street wear angle, they just sound incredibly durable).

aaronag

Reaction score

Love that last line, just perfect!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Stylers,

I'm Aaron, just turned 50 last year and trying cultivate a much better style than the minimum standards one I've been maintaining for too long - just picking up whatever from box stores. I went full time WFH right when COVID hit, so I've focused mostly on picking up joggers and T-shirts with some hoodies thrown in. I've been moving up in my career, so I'd like to look better when I do need to go I to the office, and I just want to look and feel better generally. I was looking to expand my wardrobe by buying some useful and versatile pieces from Spier and Mackay (for dressier stuff), Taylor Stitch and more work wear style brands (my khakis/chinos/whatever you're supposed to call them are Dickies 874s, and my workwear experience was from 20 years ago when I wore Carhartts working in subway tunnels), and Outlier (not so much from the street wear angle, they just sound incredibly durable).
Hi Aaron, S
Hi Stylers,

Hi Aaron, Spier and Mcakay and Taylor Stitch are two of my go to brands. Both have great value for modest pricing. Welcome to the forum!

rljy

Reaction score
Hello people, I'm from Tasmania! Not super into style but do appreciate sleek and practical wear. Really just made my account to try and get on some of the classifieds :)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jogo1984