• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Initial Comparison of Three Briefcases

illiterateabc

Reaction score
Just thought I’d share my initial thoughts on my growing briefcase collection. Just for context, I wear smart casual street clothes to my office-based job.

First of all, please pardon my phone picture. I did not apply any filters or anything, my dumbphone just shot the image that way.

In the middle is my navy Filson 256 that I’ve been carrying to work since January. It’s been serving me quite well. I usually carry a fairly bulky load, mainly from packing sizeable lunches to work every day; however, I started getting annoyed at certain things, which is why I started exploring other options.

I simultaneously purchased the Property Of...Alfred Work Bag in Dark Tan, and the Billykirk Schoolboy Satchel in Golden Brown, and they both came in yesterday. I probably should have spaced these purchases out, but I saw great opportunities for these and I took them. Anyway, I loaded each of the new bags up with my daily loadout, and tested them by the carry handles. I was not able to try shoulder carry yet.

Property Of...Alfred
Pros:
The Alfred bag is very handsome and feels very substantial out of the box actually. The leather and waxed canvas, while stiff, do have nice texture. I love the simple lines, pocket layout, and organization of this bag. The buckle closure of this bag does not bother me, and the strap itself feels quite nice to handle. I like that the overall bag height is kind of a goldilocks in between the Filson and the Billykirk. For times when I need quick access to something, there’s a zippable slip pocket on the backside.

Cons: After putting in my usual load from the 256 into the Alfred, I can tell that the Alfred is not as big as the Filson; first of all, the bottom of the bag is narrower and is kept tapered by the leather bottom, unlike the more uniformly boxy and expandable depth of the 256. Second, once I put my tupperwares into the Alfred, the bag bows out and cannot stand up on its own. Third, when fully loaded and having to buckle the closing strap on the last setting, the handle positioning can make the bag hang a bit lopsidedly. The carry handle feels stiff out of the box, but I imagine it would soften with use.

Billykirk Satchel
Pros:
Being a full leather bag, I would also say that while this bag may or may not be the most stylish of the three (as that would depend on your own personal style), I think it is the most eye-catching. This bag is also quite stiff out of the box. You can tell that it’s much smaller than the other two briefcases, and because of its dual gusset, stands up straight much more stably than the other bags. The smaller size is nice for me, as I’m average height and thinly-framed. A nice thing about the shoulder strap mechanism is that there is no metal to metal contact like there is for the other bags. The leather shoulder strap attaches to the D rings in the back with Sam Browne studs. This makes things a bit quieter.

Cons: Much smaller than the other two bags. My main challenge was depth, as the dual gussets prevented my larger tupperwares from even fitting in the bag. The new, stiff leather also made it not as easy to get wider items into the bag, like my laptop, but I imagine that would change with use. A major con is that there’s no pocketing to speak of, and especially no external slip pocket. Also, because there’s only one way and one setting to close the hasp closure, this bag is the least able to handle a lot of excess load. I also have not mastered this mechanism, and so it’s slower for me, and it can be slower when there’s not a lot in the bag, as matching up the hole to the metal loop is then an exercise in moving targets. Finally, because I’m in such a casual office already, an all-leather bag might come off as trying way too hard (I might already do that).

Filson 256
Pros:
This has the largest capacity of the three, and with my daily load, is probably the only bag out of the three that I could stop by the grocery store on my way home to pick up a few small items to throw into it. The navy color is super nice, and is already starting to show some signs of wear at abrasion points. The leather handles are really solid, as they are just now starting to break in to feeling a bit more supple (though they’re still fairly stiff). Also, while I was somewhat unsatisfied with how the internal pockets were laid out at first, I’ve gotten used to them. I would say that it probably fits in the most in a more conservative office due to the darker color.

Cons: I don’t always need this much space, and when this bag is fairly lightly loaded, the external pockets balloon out in a way that makes me nervous about prying eyes and hands. The opening process can be somewhat of a chore (especially for a neurotic person like me who really HAS to zip everything up and snap it closed every time). Two handles means that you have to fish for both of them when picking the bag up off the floor. The sharp zippers have already scratched my laptop.

Key selling points:
Property Of...: Organization/Goldilocks medium of size and casualness
Billykirk: Smaller size/minimalism
Filson: Capacity/versatility

There you have it, my initial impressions of three very different briefcases. I can honestly say that durability for all three of these bags seem to be very promising, as the craftsmanship seems to be excellent. I am trying to choose only one to keep, and I haven’t made up my mind yet. The choice is going to be very, very difficult.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So apart from your lunch what do you find to carry to and from an office job that requires such a large object?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So apart from your lunch what do you find to carry to and from an office job that requires such a large object?

illiterateabc

Reaction score

• 13" slim laptop
  • Laptop charger
  • Maybe a file folder
  • Small stuff (keys, phone, wallet, USB cords, medicine, mp3 player, business cards)
  • My lunch is usually 12"x10"x3" by itself (I know this because it's in a separate cold bag), but the depth can go up to 5" (e.g. big ass salads = plant nachos [thanks ThugKitchen
    stirpot.gif
    ] )

Yeah, I really should stop using glass containers though; I walk 2 miles a day and take transit to get to and from work. Stuff gets heavy but I'm not into microwaving food in plastic.

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score

Even though your question is addressed to the OP I would answer.
1. I don't take lunches from home to work. Why would someone do that if there are several stores and eating joints around? The only guess it is his wife's initiative.
2. I wear my Swims in my briefcase if it is going to rain.
3. I always wear documents, cell phones, glasses and/or shades, and some other stuff. It requires a big briefcase.

the_sulks

Reaction score

• Yeah, I really should stop using glass containers though; I walk 2 miles a day and take transit to get to and from work. Stuff gets heavy but I'm not into microwaving food in plastic.

• I also walk a lot. I'm not into microwaving either yet I buy some stuff like bananas and cottage cheese. So, I don't need to cook it.

I don't think it is always safe to transport food from home to work in hot weather. Meat, milk and many other products may decay during transportation in the briefcase unless your briefcase has a fridge option.

illiterateabc

Reaction score
1. I don't take lunches from home to work. Why would someone do that if there are several stores and eating joints around? The only guess it is his wife's initiative.

Many reasons to do this, and no, it's not due to solely my wife's initiative:
1) Save money so that I can buy more clothes, shoes, and bags.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

2) We cook a lot and eat leftovers for lunch.
3) Better health because I'm not putting in tons of salt and sugar in my meals.

I still eat out one or two days a week for lunch.

I don't think it is always safe to transport food from home to work in hot weather. Meat, milk and many other products may decay during transportation in the briefcase unless your briefcase has a fridge option.
I haven't experienced any problems with this. Then again, my food is in an insulated bag; I take the containers out of the fridge just before I leave for work and when I arrive at my office, the food goes into the fridge there. Also, I live in the CA Bay Area, and extreme heat is only an issue for 2-3 weeks a year at most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads