• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

alexdunhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by krish88
Email them back and clarify what they mean -- I took that as pick stitching and functional boutennaire will NOT be on your next suit (which is what you want). I've requested lining changes, armhole changes, etc etc on top of the regular features and have always had it work out.

Yeah she did clarify in the email that's what she meant I just found the previous one a little confusing 'cause I'd changed the remake to have pocket flaps as opposed to the first one, which didn't.

haiguise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by linsook
The disasters in the tat thread are far worse than the disasters in this thread. But thats just my opinion. tat has a good quality product, a few notches above Indochino in terms of fabric and construction however, the long wait times and seemingly inconsistent end-products have made me stay away. I have five tat's, 2 were a total disaster and they were my 3rd and 4th. How? I have no clue. That leaves 3 that are wearable. My second and fifth are solid suits which I like very much. But the price, long wait and the two failures has left a bitter taste in my mouth. My tats: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1249 http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1570 http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=2643 Indochino offers less risk and in my opinion, is a better choice for a starter mtm.
Those TaTs that you posted look infinitely better than anything I've seen Indochino make. TaT is more than a few notches above Indochino, since they make fully canvassed handmade suits. The other difference is that TaT is usually not meant for business-wear. I agree though, that I've seen some really ****** TaTs. TaT works for someone who is slim and not too tall. The same goes for Indochino, although, like I said before, Indochino looks like **** 95% the time.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
Jbharris88, you mentioned that Modern Tailor has more to offer than Indochino. What is your experience with their shirts? Have you tried out Jantzen as well? They seem to be a much more affordable option.

I've probably ordered 15 shirts from moderntailor. I took measurements from a well-fitting shirt and they gave me a product that was EXACT in the measurements I requested. I've only made very slight adjustments to my measurements and continue to perfect their shirts. I grab weekly deals and leave them in my cart until I have a few shirts. No experience with their really high-end cloth, but I get decent shirts for <$55 after add-ons.

I did order a pair of pants. The fit was spot on to what I requested (a little too tight - my fault) but the material was quite shiny for a 98% wool, 2% poly. I told them I will not order pants again until they give me a swatch book of fabrics, but that was awhile ago. I really want to order a suit from them but there is no explicit guarantee or credits like with Indochino.

sharkw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
I am going to be "that guy" for a moment. TaT used to get lots of flack for improper fits - but Indochino seems to be far worse than any TaT I've seen. So after seeing these poorly fitting suits and reading these stories I am compelled to ask - why do people keep ordering from them?
Good to see that this thread is pretty active once again! That's a fair question luftvier, in my case it's just a question of OTR not fitting at all, and me being too cheap to pay for a real tailored suit which would cost me $1000+. Strange thing is, while I'm pretty small (5'6", 140), I'm not super-tiny, yet I have to get a Mexx 34 taken in to fit me. The best fitting OTR I've ever tried on was a 34 (44 Eur) Zara suit jacket, yet neither the Ottawa or Toronto stores stock this size even when the jacket model says it's available. Actually, I only tried that size on when they had _one_ jacket that size in a city of 10 million a continent away. And it was gone the next day when I decided I might want it
frown.gif
My take on it is if you fit OTR decently, there's no really compelling reason to go with Indochino. But for some of us, it really is the only decent option at that price point.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a very good experience with Indochino,

I have to say I would consider the Buy and Sell on here, before Indochino.

I'm a usual 38R and with some tweaking mainly for waist suppression I think I would fit the standard quite well.

Indochino offers good value for a first or new buyer, unsure about cuts, sizing, etc.
Eventually better quality, better deals can be found on the Buy Sell here.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sharkw
Good to see that this thread is pretty active once again!

That's a fair question luftvier, in my case it's just a question of OTR not fitting at all, and me being too cheap to pay for a real tailored suit which would cost me $1000+. Strange thing is, while I'm pretty small (5'6", 140), I'm not super-tiny, yet I have to get a Mexx 34 taken in to fit me. The best fitting OTR I've ever tried on was a 34 (44 Eur) Zara suit jacket, yet neither the Ottawa or Toronto stores stock this size even when the jacket model says it's available. Actually, I only tried that size on when they had _one_ jacket that size in a city of 10 million a continent away. And it was gone the next day when I decided I might want it
frown.gif

My take on it is if you fit OTR decently, there's no really compelling reason to go with Indochino. But for some of us, it really is the only decent option at that price point.

This is really the crux of why I just ordered a suit from Indo (and how I found the forum); I'm 5'5"/140 and off the rack just really doesn't seem like an option-- or at least not in the same price range after tailoring. I was at Bloomies SF not that long ago and their selection of 36s (which is the lowest anyone seems to carry except maybe h&m) was understandably light. What they did have would have cost me a good deal more money to have taken in the way I like it.

So we'll see what happens. I order the standard charcoal three-piece with the natural shoulders option and I'll write a review and post a few pictures once it comes (couple weeks) so that people can see another first timer's experience.

Fingers crossed!

Tern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
I would not be.
  • Too much shoulder padding and extended shoulders leading to the dreaded "divots" at the sleevehead.
  • The sleeves on both the suit and shirt are at least 1.5" - 2.0" too short.
  • Buttoning point looks too high to my eye.
  • In fact, the jacket seems to be cut for a person a least two inches shorter than you.
Send it back and have them fix it.

Thanks Luftvier,

I just came back from a good tailor shop and was a little embarrassed. He said he might be able to fix the button and the sleeves, and I could live with the length of the jacket, but the shoulders and the way it sits on me are all messed up.

I will have to send it back.

where should the jacket sleeves rest? Near my wrist bone, or just above that?

Thanks!

linsook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haiguise
Those TaTs that you posted look infinitely better than anything I've seen Indochino make. TaT is more than a few notches above Indochino, since they make fully canvassed handmade suits. The other difference is that TaT is usually not meant for business-wear.

I agree though, that I've seen some really ****** TaTs. TaT works for someone who is slim and not too tall. The same goes for Indochino, although, like I said before, Indochino looks like **** 95% the time.

Have to give it to tat for it being legitimately, fully canvassed. I wouldn't go as far as to call them handmade but there is visible handwork as opposed to Indochino, which has none. The handwork is superficial. It's a nice touch, but for me personally, not essential. Full canvassing that extends into the lapel, like it should, is what I would really like to see in Indochino suits but not a deal breaker for me.

raphael__n

Reaction score
The new collection is out. I just went to check my account for remake progress and found a Mad Men style of advertising on the front page. There are three new suits and six shirts. No outerwear so far. It seems important given the weather is changing. Btw, linsook, you've got my hopes up again with Indochino. After looking at your navy tweed, I realized how well-made their shoulders are. I think padded shoulders work quite well depending on the makers, but Indochino's points out on the very top edge, almost as if it is roped horizontally. On the other hand, the natural shoulder has a better amount of padding (not perfect, but very good nonetheless). I have seen some natural shoulders that are just downright scary. Case in point: http://youngmanoldman.blogspot.com/2...shoulders.html I don't know how anyone can suggest that looks "cool".

MrInvariant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
The new collection is out. I just went to check my account for remake progress and found a Mad Men style of advertising on the front page. There are three new suits and six shirts. No outerwear so far. It seems important given the weather is changing.

About the new 'collection'...
Why they keep pushing those 3 piece suits is beyond me.
uhoh.gif

At least they should make the vest optional.

And the descriptions are hilarious:
"High quality,100% super 140s wool means this suit won't restrict your movement."
"Made of a luxurious 95% Wool, 5% Poly"

facepalm.gif

MrInvariant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by linsook
Full canvassing that extends into the lapel, like it should, is what I would really like to see in Indochino suits but not a deal breaker for me.

AFAIK the lapel is canvassed. Quote from here:
"Suits have been upgraded and now feature canvas also throughout the lapels, as well as an option for more natural shoulders."

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrInvariant
About the new 'collection'... Why they keep pushing those 3 piece suits is beyond me.
uhoh.gif
At least they should make the vest optional. And the descriptions are hilarious: "High quality,100% super 140s wool means this suit won’t restrict your movement." "Made of a luxurious 95% Wool, 5% Poly"
facepalm.gif

To be fair, 3-pieces have been gaining a lot of popularity lately, and with good reason. I think they look great. While traditionally executive, they are becoming more mainstream now. Of course, I don't expect they will ever gain popularity over a 2-piece. I think Indochino needs to sit down and work on QC instead of pumping out a new collection every month. It will go a long way. They also need to hire a more competent designer for their website. It is constantly filled with either spelling mistakes, mislabeled products, missing swatch descriptions, picture loading errors and poor grammar. The awful catch phrases are the icing on top. There is no correlation to super 140s and movement restriction, and nobody wants to see a hint of polyster when they're forking out $450 for a suit.
facepalm.gif
indeed. Alternatively, you can always shop at onlinenewsh... ahh! bugger off.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tern
Thanks Luftvier,

I just came back from a good tailor shop and was a little embarrassed. He said he might be able to fix the button and the sleeves, and I could live with the length of the jacket, but the shoulders and the way it sits on me are all messed up.

I will have to send it back.

where should the jacket sleeves rest? Near my wrist bone, or just above that?

Thanks!

Suit sleeves should end just past your wrist bone.

The jacket should end so that you can rest your hands at your side and curl your fingertips under the edge of the coat.

Unless you're smaller than a 36, I say ask for the money back and get OTR.

Crash Override

Reaction score
I guess it's just a matter of expectations. I didn't order from Indochino expecting to get a $3000.00 custom tailored suit for $300.00.
But I was quite pleased with what I did get.
Straight out of the box on my first order, they fit better than any off-the rack suit I've ever owned.
I'm 5'7", but anything that fits me in overall length and sleeve length, is never big enough in the chest and shoulders.
I recently picked up a Charcoal herringbone suit jacket and pants from Express (38S, 30W pants), and it's pretty good, but still not the fit of the Indochino suits I have.
I wore my Metallic Grey to a large corporate function attended by many of our clients and potential clients from all over the country, and my suit was a prevalent topic of conversation. I had strangers coming up to me just to compliment me on my attire.

Some of you harder to fit, small guys should take a look at the new suits from TopMan's USA site.
They even have a HARRIS TWEED (I know some of you were disappointed in Indo's "tweed" offering), for $500.00

http://tinyurl.com/2uvxen9

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads