• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In need of MAJOR help

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go into a clothing store and say "I need to dress like an adult, I have 3000 dollars!" They're professionals; they'll know how to take care of you.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my defense....I waded thru about 15 pages of the newbie sticky but saw the overwhelming amount of posts were in regards to specific items. No real "how to dress like an adult" guides, there. And, most the specific items would blow my entire budget on their own.

To the dudes high-fiving each other and screaming at me to use the search function or to read the stickies, maybe you guys should start dating each other. I got it after the first 20 times, thanks.

To the dudes telling me to hit the gym/lose weight...I'm probably in better shape than you are.

To the dudes who are being helpful...thanks. I guess what I'm really asking is what specific brands and stores I should start off looking at. In the past, typically I'd just go to some store like Old Navy and buy collared shirts that don't taper well(or at all) and a cheap pair of jeans. My guess is this won't cut it. So does anyone have any recommendations for a dude on a $3k budget trying to dress like an adult?

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
So does anyone have any recommendations for a dude on a $3k budget trying to dress like an adult?

You can't be told how; you can learn how. Similar to how wine connoisseurs cannot simply be "told" how to taste wine, you can't be told how to be stylish; you can only learn it, if only because it's so entirely subjective. There is no one way to do this. It's something you have to develop organically. Anyone who's not telling you what to buy is doing you a favour.

Coming into a discussion forum and demanding that its users -- who mostly have spent years developing their own tastes and collections -- tell you how to "dress like a grown-up" is just about the least adult thing you could do.

To the dudes high-fiving each other and screaming at me to use the search function or to read the stickies, maybe you guys should start dating each other. I got it after the first 20 times, thanks.

To the dudes telling me to hit the gym/lose weight...I'm probably in better shape than you are.
This just makes you look like a petty asshole, by the way. This is a forum, not ******* Yahoo Answers.

word

Reaction score
For your generic question "dress me like an adult" here is your generic response: Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion by Alan Flusser. Ok I think you can even get a SF discount on this at Amazon. I like to call it "the book of stuff your dad and grandpa should have taught you but didn't" (mine didn't).

Nobody is going to drop what they're doing and be like "you need to buy X, Y and Z from brands Q, R, T, Y." Simply because nobody knows anything about you. If you want to fix this problem you gotta make an effort to do it. With some time, you can find helpful ideas here. If you want online stores to look at then start clicking all the affiliate links at the top.

Thanks to your tidbit about shirts I can say look at the "definitive guide to slim fit shirts" in the MC section.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
You can't be told how; you can learn how. Similar to how wine connoisseurs cannot simply be "told" how to taste wine, you can't be told how to be stylish; you can only learn it, if only because it's so entirely subjective. There is no one way to do this. It's something you have to develop organically. Anyone who's not telling you what to buy is doing you a favour.

Coming into a discussion forum and demanding that its users -- who mostly have spent years developing their own tastes and collections -- tell you how to "dress like a grown-up" is just about the least adult thing you could do.

This just makes you look like a petty asshole, by the way. This is a forum, not ******* Yahoo Answers.

Gee, I'm sure sorry I didn't get on my knees and take it from the guys who are calling me out over and over again for posting a thread. As for the in-shape comment, I wasn't being petty...I am speaking the truth. I am in very good physical condition and I don't need to "hit the gym" anymore than I already do.

As for your advice, thanks. It's genuine advice and I appreciate. I'll be the first one to admit I am completely naive and unexperienced when it comes to this sort of thing, which is why I made my original post with humility and thankfulness(not "demanding", as you interpreted it). Was it uninspired and foolish for me to ask for help? Maybe. Actually, probably. My bad. But, regardless of whether or not my original post was a good move or not, I've gotten some pretty good advice so far and I'm appreciative of it.

nerazzurrri

Reaction score

You dress like a tool, seriously.
facepalm.gif

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nerazzurri your going to get banned really soon, just FYI

srendam

Reaction score
Internet Tip 1: Don't take anything personally/ to the heart. Senior members are just trying to ensure the forums don't have clutter and a million of these posts.

As mentioned earlier, take a look at the WAYWT threads and check out what you like and don't like. I'm not sure as to how the community would go about designing your style as it is your own opinion. Furthermore, as mentioned earlier check out the minimalist thread which has mostly SF approved clothes.

In summary your query has already been answered and this thread offers no use and should be locked.

Riio

Reaction score

this is a much better look than ****
laugh.gif

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is another case of "give me style on a platter." Developing an eye for colour, fit and proportion isn't something you learn overnight. Dressing well is more than just adhering to a set of rules about say, having one pair of raw jeans and a 20pack of logoless shirts, a TaT suit and a ToJ coat. If you want rigid rules and what to wear, who to buy from and when you can wear it, go to MC.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
I'm gonna answer since i was trying to figure out my minimal thread answer.

Jeans
1 slim straight raw selvedge jean (actually don't have to be raw or selvedge). But safest answer is dark indigo with no distressing.
1 pair black slim jeans

Tops
white button down oxford, light blue button down oxford, and a gingham shirt.
10 or so white v-neck tees.

Outerwear
A peacoat in black or gray
a leather jacket
A harrington jacket

white or navy chucks
desert boots. beeswax or brown suede
a pair of beater pub crawl shoes
A pair of dress shoes e.g. black oxfords

any further questions directed here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=107280

The only useful reply so far. Take this and build on it, OP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads