• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you have nice clothes, do you need a nice car?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I don't mind spending on clothes but I really dislike cars in general. When I used to drive, I drove a crummy Kia that had trouble overtaking on the freeway. Now I just take whatever public transport is available to me or a cab. Or better yet, walk.

I also find nothing incongruous about being dressed well and driving a lackluster car. If it's a fuel-efficient type, I'm much more likely to be impressed as well. If it's a Hummer I will probably think about hitting you instead.

+1.
Actually, I have not been driving for about 25 years, except once when my (then) boss was drunk and needed to get out of his car to have a piss while we were stuck in a traffic jam on the main street in town. I had to get the car off the main street so as to avoid drawing the attention of the police to the bad state of my boss.
I would not mind having a nice car (BMW has some nice sport cars that are not too expensive), but at present I do not want to spend the money on that. I use public transport (subway, buses, taxis) to get around, and I am fully comfortable with that. I walk to my job (about 15 minutes from my home, and on the way home I pass the market and can buy some food for dinner, and I may step into one of the many bars that I pass on my way home and have a beer or a cocktail). And, really, I feel good about not contributing too much to the green house effect. In Spain we will really suffer hard from the global heating.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My car doesn't suit my clothes at all. I want something understated and less generic than my dented gold 95 Altima that was a gift 8 years ago. I think the two are exclusive of one another but they can compliment each other. I was surprised when my ex gf told me she'd never date someone who didn't have a car.

Once I have money a new used car is first on the list. Spend money on clothes though, because nobody ever sees your car when they first meet you.

abrocketsfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
I believe there are two types of consumers here: People who are trying to impress others and people who have nothing to prove to anyone but themselves. I consider myself in the latter category and would like to not be group with those in the former. I do enjoy nice clothing and I do enjoy nice cars. I purchase and use them for my enjoyment and pleasure. I enjoy the fine construction of a quality suit like I enjoy the lines and curves and interior accoutrements of "luxury" and exotic automobiles. I enjoy the feeling of sea island cotton against the skin as I enjoy the experience of paddle shifting a 445 BHP V8 through all six gears to 8.5k rpm. I hope that the fact that this is for ME and not others is expressed through my personality, my honesty and kindness. At the risk of unfairly generalizing, I would have to say that people who are in it to prove something to others have a rather abrasive personality (complete with arrogance and cockiness and forced-snobbishness). During this discussion I think it important to make the distinction between these two poles of luxury consumers. TBS, No I don't think you need a "nice" car if you have "nice" clothes. There are too many types of people and lifestyles to make such a broad and sweeping statement such as that.

I agree wholeheartedly with this; unfortunately, people are at liberty to judge as they wish, and due to marketing they are more familiar with $50,000 cars than, say, a $300 dress shirt. This is why I feel more comfortable and secure spending on clothes, as I feel an expensive car is more likely to attract negativity and hate. Even if I'm clearly buying a nice car for the simple pleasure I get from the drive or the styling, you have to put up with others who are too insecure to let a man enjoy his car. Instead of having to deal with it, I'd rather drive an ok car and wear clothes I love from brands nobody has heard of.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheGreek
In my opinion, when I see someone in a suit getting in or out of a non-luxury car, first thing that pops into mind is : cheap insurance salesman/or encyclopedia salesman. When you have an expensive car/truck you can basically wear whatever you want, and it dont look bad. But when you have a cheap American car, wearing an expensive suit, you might as well be wearing a clown suit, because thats how your being viewed. Now, if you dont care what people think, thats great, more power to you. This may sound shallow, but Im entitled to my opinion, as you are to yours.
In my opinion, when I read a post like this I think functionally illiterate teenager who has no life experience.

This thread pidals.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What would you think of somebody getting out of this in a nice suit?

smart-swatch-car-38.4.jpg

Hmmmm...doesn`t look so SMART. Did he buy that dinky thing for efficiency? If so, why doesn`t he just take public transportation or a taxi.

Showing up in something like that is like showing up riding a pony in the old days
laugh.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
but it's inevitable that a lesser car will make you feel less important, and thereby undermine your sense of self-importance
laugh.gif

So yes, oftentimes you'll see me in my kiton suit, coming out of a boxy Honda Civic.

I admit, it looks awfully unbalanced.
No, it looks like a dude in a suit getting out of a car.

For all those advocating vintage cars, consider that your image may be adversely affected by the rented Ford Taurus you will be driving half the time while some dude is wrenching on your ride for $120/hr
laugh.gif

I appreciate stylish cars, but care much more about how they drive than how they look. And that they do drive, every time I turn the key.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Hmmmm...doesn`t look so SMART. Did he buy that dinky thing for efficiency? If so, why doesn`t he just take public transportation or a taxi.

Showing up in something like that is like showing up riding a pony in the old days
laugh.gif

Curiously enough, SMART cars seem to be quite popular in Italy. Maybe Italians don't care about how they look?
(OK, I admit, it may have something to to with traffic density...)

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Curiously enough, SMART cars seem to be quite popular in Italy. Maybe Italians don't care about how they look?

Italy also has a yearly tax based on engine size and the massiv Euro-zone gas prices to help fund the worker's paradise.

But, I agree that Italians probably like the design of the SMART.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa

Yes, there seems to be a lot of them especially since parking is limited.

This is just my opinion, but a car like that could easily ruin a stylish suit.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has to be because people, thank God, are becoming more aware of the dammage they are doing to the planet and chosing an small car for a crowded city.

This is what is SMART.

Granted, the SMART car is ugly, but the car builders are giving us more and more cool mini cars, like the Mini and now the Fiat 500 and others will come for sure.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon

This is just my opinion, but a car like that could easily ruin a stylish suit.

False, the Smart is as comfortable inside as any other car... it simply has only 2 seats, but they are comfy enough.

One of my friends is an elegant chic lady, and she arrives on a smart without any shame

sanrensho

Reaction score
When I lived in the US, I drove a Honda Accord. I could afford something much nicer, but I'm not really a "car person" yet at the same time I just wanted something non-descript that was practical, comfortable and said something like "we're not sure if this guy has money or not, but if he does, he's just not a car person".

Now that I live overseas, I don't own a car and get to work by bus, train, subway or just walking. Somehow I feel I am getting a lot more satisfaction out of my shoes and clothes now.

Taxler

Reaction score
For me, luxury cars are more about interior features, comfort, and space than the way they look or drive. In particular, I like air-conditioned seats.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I agree with you. The best dressed guy I know drives a two door smart car. I can't wait to be rid of my car, I never drive it.

I'm with that. If I didn't need a car, think of the furniture I could have afforded.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member