• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Idiot's Guide to Getting Big (or: how to stop s***ting up this forum, skinny whiners)

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i hear you. i did nothing but heavy compound lifts, 3 x 8 or 5 x 5 for the first 3-4 years. now it's mostly high volume specialization and periodization

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
people generally eat way too much or way too little. yes it is expensive to eat right and enough, I of the $1200/month grocery bill

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
I of the $1200/month grocery bill

wow.gif

That's it. I'm quitting going to the gym and am just going to be a skinny *****, albeit an incrementally richer skinny *****. I don't care if the swaggering alpha males of SF kick sand in my face.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in fairness, i have 3 growing boys so that doesn;t help the bill either.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I apologize in advance for whining......but god, it's really ******* hard and expensive to eat a lot. I think lifting is easier than eating for me.

Eggs are less than $0.10 each. How is that expensive?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
adds up when you eat 60 a week

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$6.00/week is a lot of money?

As for the 'gains stall when not overeating': usually only true with crappy exercise programming.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think there was a good cheap food thread before, jekyl should refer to it.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wow.gif

I would probably vomit if I ate 8-9 eggs a day. That's part of the problem is that I can't stand eating too much of any one food. I guess that's probably part of "manning it up" though.

I'll check out that food thread, kunk. Thanks for the tip.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
There's nothing against isolation if you've been training for awhile - I've always been of the school of thought that you should try and reach a certain level of strength before attempting hypertrophy-based training.

From what I've read, hypertrophy is more effective with heavier weights being moved with lower rest intervals. To build up that level of strength and conditioning, you've gotta get your bench, squat, and deadlift up before you can worry about 3x15 hammer curls with 30 seconds rest between sets.

That and the tendency for beginners to go crazy on bicep curls for the girls while neglecting the compound lifts. I know I did, and I suffered for it.

Yeah, this is pretty much the case. It's a much better idea to build strength first and then do some isolation/sarc hypertrophy stuff once you have a good base. This way the trainee can use substantial weights and already has some muscle balance and coordination. Most people who start off doing a Starting Strength type program (or Bill Starr or Madcow or WS4SB) tend to understand the concepts well and should have no problem finding info on trad. BB stuff if that's what they choose to move to. The average curl monkey with no direction is generally clueless.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I would probably vomit if I ate 8-9 eggs a day. That's part of the problem is that I can't stand eating too much of any one food. I guess that's probably part of "manning it up" though.

I'll admit I don't eat enough, but it's really easy to eat 10 eggs in a day. A four egg omelet in the morning and two additional meals of a whole wheat tortilla, 3 egg's worth of egg salad, and cup of spinach. Boom, 10 eggs and you won't even notice until the gas hits.

turbozed

Reaction score
It takes about 20 seconds to eat a hardboiled egg.

How are people having a problem eating them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads