• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need help about my terrible choice of major

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Do what you enjoy. If you want to major in English and really enjoy it and want a degree, then do it. If not, then don't. Stop worrying.
+1 An undergraduate degree is not trade school, it exists to make you a better person. Now...I would suggest that you take a few "practical" classes. Calc, Statistics, and intro econ will make you more versatile (and unless you go into some really technical work, those will cover your day to day). Maybe swap one of those out ofor a programming course. Like AB, I know some complete ballers who were history majors once up on a time and I know some current graduates who studied things like classics and are doing quite well now because they are smart, resourceful people who were well aware that they were studying something that they loved and made sure to take a few classes and internships that left them well rounded. If you don't think you are smart or resourceful, maybe you should switch to finance, get a job you hate, and work it until you retire (I never understood all the kids in the econ or finance department who clearly *hated* what they were studying yet refused to listen to the professors who told them "listen, take the intro sequence, take stat, and then go major in something you like") EDIT: not that I am saying finance is where you should aim...it just struck me as odd when I was in school how many people were econ majors (we didn't have finance or business) but had zero actual interest in economics. A lot of them had trouble finding jobs or got some mediocre **** (every interview I had in school always asked why I picked my major...your answer shouldn't be "I dunno...thought it would get me a job"). Also, I would agree that you are going to have a LOT of trouble finding a career in English (just like there are not a lot of jobs in History or Classics or even German or Spanish). However, as I am sure you are aware, most people end up working in a field completely different from what they studied in undergrad. If you aim for an English job with your English degree, it is going to be hard unless you want to teach middle school. If you aim for a non-English job and leverage the value of your undergraduate experience as a whole (classes, internships, connections, etc)...you will be fine.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Pick -anything- quantitative and you can open up a whole world of possibilities.

Finance
Econ
Engineering ( electrical, computer, materials, chemical, general, civil, etc )
Computer Science
IT / MIS

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Pick -anything- quantitative and you can open up a whole world of possibilities.

Finance
Econ
Engineering ( electrical, computer, materials, chemical, general, civil, etc )
Computer Science
IT / MIS

If you take this advice, be good at math, at least for engineering.

mehhhh

Reaction score
As long as you graduate with a good GPA, your actual degree isn't terribly important. You could graduate with an English degree, get an entry level job, and put yourself through grad school for something that will make you money which you will also enjoy. Maybe journalism or something else involving writing.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Do what you enjoy.

If you want to major in English and really enjoy it and want a degree, then do it. If not, then don't.

Stop worrying.

This really just isn't very good advice. While a major isn't everything, there are certain majors that are just dumb.

For example, one of my exes was double majoring in art history and something else that basically would have allowed her to have her old bosses job. When I told her it didn't make sense because there are only a relatively small amount of positions like that in the US she got all mad about it.

Also, my dad majored in Greek/Hebrew and was doing some pretty advanced studies in those subjects in college. He has never ever used any of that knowledge since college, and I'm sure he doesn't still know the language aside from being able to see root-words and such that have bridged over to English.

I'd file majoring in English with both of those.

OP, just major in marketing or something.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I was an English major and I eat c-notes for breakfast. They taste terrible but life's rough for a balla.

Seriously, I am of two minds about my major. A finance background or business or something would have served me well in my career, which is the centrepiece of my existence at present. But I am good at it anyway, and having an English degree (and not coasting through just for the hell of it as many do) has improved my enjoyment of a lot of the non-career-related aspects of life. On the whole I do not regret it.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mehhhh
As long as you graduate with a good GPA, your actual degree isn't terribly important. You could graduate with an English degree, get an entry level job, and put yourself through grad school for something that will make you money which you will also enjoy. Maybe journalism or something else involving writing.
bad advice sorry. My suggestion for you here - given that, according to your other thread - you don't really have your own life, major path and career goals in line is that you should sort those out first before advising others.

Reaction score
+1

I'd also add that the critical skills and writing skills you develop while pursuing an English degree are invaluable in almost any job. You'll also get Garrison Keillor's jokes and join the Professional Organization of English Majors (POET).

"English majors have all the qualities women look for - intelligence, curiosity, a sense of adventure, and excellent punctuation."

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delightindisorder
+1 I'd also add that the critical skills and writing skills you develop while pursuing an English degree are invaluable in almost any job. You'll also get Garrison Keillor's jokes and join the Professional Organization of English Majors (POET). "English majors have all the qualities women look for - intelligence, curiosity, a sense of adventure, and excellent punctuation."
what kind of work do you do?

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not minor in English? It probably will not add more than 6 credit hours to your overall time in school.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we need a "Liberal Arts major" pinned thread, since these threads seem to come up all the time.

Reaction score
Matt:

I work for the federal government as a program manager. I write all effing day long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads