• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I do mix Zacapa 23, actually. One of my favorite bartenders mixes it for me in a Rum Old-Fashioned with a little Falernum. Stunning, stunning drink.

~ H

Ok, I might try that. I was more thinking mixed in the way of Cuba Libre or Santo Libre. Where I live, most of the waitresses in the bars (which usually stock Havana Club 7 año at best) look quite confused when you say you don't want coke in your rum. Should have been more specific.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Rarely. I don't know why anyone would set out, specifically, to not be a fan of any particular spirit. I have not, as yet, moved much into Tequila, but I'm sure it will happen at some point. Rum can be pretty awesome. Buy the Ron Zacapa 23 if you have any interest -- it's under $40, usually, and worth every cent.

~ H

Keep in mind I have not experienced the rum you are talking about. Rum has been the bane of many a night for me. I would never consider it to be an enjoyable experience, BUT you guys seems to be telling me there is another side to rum. I must admit I am curious. Anyone care to tell me what it tastes like? Is it complex, like scotch?

I am going to be at a descent liqueur store tomorrow. I am planning on taking Ama's tip and getting some Highland Park. I will take a look at the Ron Z while I am there.

Couple questions-

1. Do you serve the rum on ice or neat?
2. Do you all take your scotch neat? From what I have read it seem like that is the only way to take single malt.
3. I want to pick up some proper scotch glasses. I have only been able to find wine glasses with the bowl in the bottom of the glass(no stem), then tapering off as the glass goes up. Is this the same thing or should I look specifically for scotch glasses?
4. What is your go to drink/spirit for less formal affairs? I do some tailgating in the fall and I feel like it is a crime to pour a good scotch into a plastic cup. Just curious to see if you would change your drink or if you still go for the good stuff.

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to elevate my drinking sophistication. I will be sure to post pics of my purchase tomorrow.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Yes, Highland is a great beginners scotch. It has just a wisp of smoke, it isn't overbearing.
I stil have som Highland Park 18 that is lingering in the cupboard. Note to self -restock, possibly 25. Any thoughts on the 25 vs 18?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
Couple questions-

1. Do you serve the rum on ice or neat?
2. Do you all take your scotch neat? From what I have read it seem like that is the only way to take single malt.
3. I want to pick up some proper scotch glasses. I have only been able to find wine glasses with the bowl in the bottom of the glass(no stem), then tapering off as the glass goes up. Is this the same thing or should I look specifically for scotch glasses?
4. What is your go to drink/spirit for less formal affairs? I do some tailgating in the fall and I feel like it is a crime to pour a good scotch into a plastic cup. Just curious to see if you would change your drink or if you still go for the good stuff.

1. As a general rule I always try things neat first, than add water if needed. If you buy a sufficiently good rum you won't need water (or ice).
2. See above. If I add water its usually only a drop or two to help the aromas open.
3. I use these: http://www.whiskyglass.com/. They are called Glencairn glasses. Short of finding these I would look for a tulip glass or something by Riedel.
4. Beer.
laugh.gif
I wouldn't waste a lot of money on expensive liquor for tailgates, unless it was something of a gourmet tailgate. That seems a little odd to me though. If I was going to drink liquor at a tailgate it would be a mid priced bourbon or rum. For $20 - $30 you can get some very good stuff that won't put too big a dent in the pocket book. There are also a good number of cocktails you can make with those two.

Originally Posted by speedster.8
I stil have som Highland Park 18 that is lingering in the cupboard. Note to self -restock, possibly 25.

Any thoughts on the 25 vs 18?

I have both open now. The 25 is peatier and less sherried tasting. It seems very different from the 18. If you can afford it I would say that the 25 def. warrants a try. For what it is worth I tend to go for the 18 more often, but that might just be because it is cheaper and easier to find.
laugh.gif

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
1. As a general rule I always try things neat first, than add water if needed. If you buy a sufficiently good rum you won't need water (or ice).
2. See above. If I add water its usually only a drop or two to help the aromas open.
3. I use these: http://www.whiskyglass.com/. They are called Glencairn glasses. Short of finding these I would look for a tulip glass or something by Riedel.
4. Beer.
laugh.gif
I wouldn't waste a lot of money on expensive liquor for tailgates, unless it was something of a gourmet tailgate. That seems a little odd to me though. If I was going to drink liquor at a tailgate it would be a mid priced bourbon or rum. For $20 - $30 you can get some very good stuff that won't put too big a dent in the pocket book. There are also a good number of cocktails you can make with those two.

Good stuff Ama. Thank for the response. I clicked on that link you sent and all the US distributor links don't work.
confused.gif
I know someone that has access to glassware and have already contacted them.

Beer works for me! Our staples over the years have been Crown Royal and last years addition was Patron. I think both may be around for years to come.

If you don't mind me asking-How much/often do you drink? It just dawned on me that you bought 3 bottles of Rum. Are you gifting some or is it all for you? If you are gifting some-can I send you my address?
tounge.gif

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
I stil have som Highland Park 18 that is lingering in the cupboard. Note to self -restock, possibly 25.

Any thoughts on the 25 vs 18?

I do not have experience in any of the Highland Park Scotch's. After Ama recommended it, I started to look at it and stumbled on a review that compares all the HP's that might help:

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2008/10/0...h-expressions/

Based on Ama's post and the above review, I see no reason to pay significantly more for less.

Heading to ye old liqueur store now. Wish me luck.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy rum!

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking-How much/often do you drink? It just dawned on me that you bought 3 bottles of Rum. Are you gifting some or is it all for you? If you are gifting some-can I send you my address?
tounge.gif

They are all for me. I entertain quite a bit and share the wealth so to speak. I probably have 6 - 7 drinks/cocktails week and wine/beer with dinner a few nights a week. More often than not I drink scotch or bourbon, but cocktails, rum and tequila also get a fair amount of play.

I do not have experience in any of the Highland Park Scotch's. After Ama recommended it, I started to look at it and stumbled on a review that compares all the HP's that might help:

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2008/10/0...h-expressions/

Based on Ama's post and the above review, I see no reason to pay significantly more for less.

Heading to ye old liqueur store now. Wish me luck.

I'm not a big fan of the Drinkhacker blog. I think he has a pretty amateurish palate. I also don't think that the 18 is necessarily than the 25, they are pretty vastly different. That said, there is really no reason for you to get the 25. I wouldn't even get the 18 of I was you. I would start with the 12 or possibly the 15. You need to learn to appreciate scotch and the different distilleries before you will fully appreciate the intricacies of the bottlings. It seems silly to me to jump up to 18 right away before you have tasted more.

Buy rum!

This.

Willie5566

Reaction score
It is done. Bought HP 12 AND drum roll....Ron Z!!!! Pictures and my review of Ron Z to follow.

Tonight I finally got around to my Hennepin. I am a fan!! Good stuff.

Huntsman-You have to tell me what Chimay is like. I was scared off by the clerk, who told me it is very sweet.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind I have not experienced the rum you are talking about. Rum has been the bane of many a night for me. I would never consider it to be an enjoyable experience, BUT you guys seems to be telling me there is another side to rum. I must admit I am curious. Anyone care to tell me what it tastes like? Is it complex, like scotch?
Haha, well, I hope then it can redeem itself, and that you now know what it can be like. All the spirits have a good side, except, well, my particular bane, which is Cynar. Don't ask.
I am going to be at a descent liqueur store tomorrow. I am planning on taking Ama's tip and getting some Highland Park. I will take a look at the Ron Z while I am there. Couple questions- 1. Do you serve the rum on ice or neat? 2. Do you all take your scotch neat? From what I have read it seem like that is the only way to take single malt. 3. I want to pick up some proper scotch glasses. I have only been able to find wine glasses with the bowl in the bottom of the glass(no stem), then tapering off as the glass goes up. Is this the same thing or should I look specifically for scotch glasses? 4. What is your go to drink/spirit for less formal affairs? I do some tailgating in the fall and I feel like it is a crime to pour a good scotch into a plastic cup. Just curious to see if you would change your drink or if you still go for the good stuff. Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to elevate my drinking sophistication. I will be sure to post pics of my purchase tomorrow.
1. I serve Zacapa on ice or neat as I feel. Sometimes I go for rum out of a sense of 'it's hot out, I don't want a scotch." and then I might add a cube or two. 2. With malts, I always start out by tasting neat, and then tend to add water in small increments until it is where I want it, and the flavor/nose is balanced with the alcohol. Different whiskys call for different amounts of water (especially when you consider they commonly run from 80-130pf), and people differ on how much, too. But it's never more than like 10% by volume or so. 3. I use three different glasses -- a Reidel XO Cognac glass, which I happen to like for older whiskys, my small tumbler for when I just want a scotch, and the Glencairn glasses for all other times, they are truly great. You can get them from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=...Mozilla-search 4. I went to the first sporting event of my life last week. I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I have on numerous occasions, brought some vermouth and bitters mixed in little bottles sized to make a Manhattan with 2oz of bourbon or rye if that was what I happened to want at the time. Flasks are also useful. But I've never tailgated.
Originally Posted by shademore
too many micros way out west to do that sierra's tumbler autumn brown not bad this evening
Oh, mainly I meant that for Willie.
It is done. Bought HP 12 AND drum roll....Ron Z!!!! Pictures and my review of Ron Z to follow. Tonight I finally got around to my Hennepin. I am a fan!! Good stuff. Huntsman-You have to tell me what Chimay is like. I was scared off by the clerk, who told me it is very sweet.
Those were good choices, I think. Highland Park is a much better scotch to start with than something less... encompassing like Macallan. I hope you find the Zacapa to your liking.' As for Chimay, as much as I do enjoy it, and always stock White, Red and Blue, I'm not a huge beer drinker (maybe 10 beers/year) so I shall leave that to others more qualified. Best, H

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
Ok, I might try that. I was more thinking mixed in the way of Cuba Libre or Santo Libre. Where I live, most of the waitresses in the bars (which usually stock Havana Club 7 año at best) look quite confused when you say you don't want coke in your rum. Should have been more specific.
"...don't want coke in your rum." LOL. Gotcha. ~ H

Willie5566

Reaction score
All right boys as promised...Pictures!!

beverage4.jpg

beverage2.jpg

and then my first swig of Zacapa:

beverage3.jpg

I had to try it after all the positive feedback. As far as my verdict...I think it is is good rum. It smells like rum, which scared me..too many bad memories.
facepalm.gif
It initially burns like rum but only for a second and then it dissipates and finishes smooth.
thumbs-up.gif
Very surprising. Coming from a place of never wanting rum in any form to being able to drink it straight. I would say that was a success. Further, exploration is necessary to see if I can develop more of a taste for it.

I think I would like it served on ice like Hunts mentioned. I will give that a try next. I think winter will work better for serving drinks neat.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
3. I use three different glasses -- a Reidel XO Cognac glass, which I happen to like for older whiskys, my small tumbler for when I just want a scotch, and the Glencairn glasses for all other times, they are truly great. You can get them from Amazon:

I will second Huntsman's endorsement for the Glencairn whiskey glasses. You can sometimes get a 6-pack of them relatively cheap if you find them on sale at Macy's. It's easier than buying them piece by piece from Amazon and cheaper to boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads