• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I feel like a prick

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Recently I went to Harry Rosen and ordered a pair of Allen Edmondsfor $400 bucks with the full intent to return it when they came, and subsequently buy a pair online for much cheaper. The reason I ordered them is that I've never bought a pair and I while my foot was measured to be a 14EEE, there is no way I'm investing money in shoes that I haven't tried. Now granted I did tell the salesperson I would return them if they did not fit and he obliged and encouraged me to order them (though he was quite the pretentious douche, even before I told him this).

Frankly, what are my other options in Canada? No store carries size 14 that I've been to...

lithdoc

Reaction score
You are my brother in crime, lol! I wear 14E, and it has been the struggle of my life. Allen Edmonds is probably the only brand of shoes that can accomodate people like you and me - most stop making shoes right at the 12-13 line, some make 14, but they're too narrow.

Bentley

Reaction score
Probably a douchey move on your part. Realistically, though, I suspect this happens fairly often in today's world and is simply understood as a cost of doing business at stores such as Harry Rosen.

Ethically, though, if the shoes you ordered through Harry Rosen fit, you should probably keep them.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Let's hope no one from there surfs here as it wouldn't be to hard to put 2 and 2 together and come up with you 14eee.......

garymyman

Reaction score
I am really envious of my girlfriend's soul-less retail return attitude. If there is anything awry she'll take it back for a refund, even if it's been worn or washed. Me, I've found stains on shirts after getting them home and OxyCleaned them instead of returning.

But you said the sales guy was pretentious, so who gives a hoot.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by garymyman
I am really envious of my girlfriend's soul-less retail return attitude. If there is anything awry she'll take it back for a refund, even if it's been worn or washed. Me, I've found stains on shirts after getting them home and OxyCleaned them instead of returning.

But you said the sales guy was pretentious, so who gives a hoot.

The guy didn't even know what he was doing. He spent a minute measuring my left foot when the device was set up to measure my right. I still do feel bad about it though, but it definitely does not help that the salespeople are often snobby and unresponsive.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The general attitude most Canadians here seem to have towards harry's and holt's is more in line with the other meaning of this thread's title. Just sayin...

Seroiusly, you do what you gotta do, and so do they, they're not stupid. Just get it done and get your shoes from wherever.
smile.gif

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajmanouk
Today I went to Harry Rosen and ordered a pair of Allen Edmondsfor $400 bucks with the full intent to return it when they came, and subsequently buy a pair online for much cheaper. The reason I ordered them is that I've never bought a pair and I while my foot was measured to be a 14EEE, there is no way I'm investing money in shoes that I haven't tried. Now granted I did tell the salesperson I would return them if they did not fit and he obliged and encouraged me to order them (though he was quite the pretentious douche, even before I told him this).

Frankly, what are my other options in Canada? No store carries size 14 that I've been to...

Where I would normally tell you you should feel bad for the ethics of it, you seem to have no choice --no shoe available for a try-on, no guarantee for fit.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
i would'nt worry about it..
why do harry rosen have such high mark ups in the first place? why can you buy in the US for so much less..
not just allen edmonds of course..harrrys has been happily ripping off canadians for many years across all their brands, thank god for online shopping

what are the ethics of operating in a market with limited options and hiking up prices, versus the ethics of you ordering them with the intent to return?..

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know...I always pay full retail the first time I'm buying a new model/last/brand...just to establish a baseline, get educated and properly fitted. I feel it's worth it and saves me money in the long run.

And then, I start purchasing them online and start saving money off the MSRP

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should have no ethical qualms about misleading a Harry Rosen sales person. None. Before I smartened up and stopped shopping there I dealt with many of them and they were a bunch of used car salesmen.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Recoil
You should have no ethical qualms about misleading a Harry Rosen sales person. None. Before I smartened up and stopped shopping there I dealt with many of them and they were a bunch of used car salesmen.
On this topic, never confuse your ethics with those of others. Just because they compromised themselves, never compromise yourself; no matter how badly you are treated. We are judged by our actions, how we respond during the good times and when in crisis.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
realistically as a salesperson you expect some returns. $400 is not a big deal (what AE are you buying for $400??) but i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't encourage you as much in the future.

I'm not sure the qualm with full price around this place, quite a bit of my wardrobe was purchased at full price with no concerns. I'll wait for a deal if it's around the corner but for the most part I dont care that much.

My qualifiers are simply the right product for my intention and at a price that meets my budgeted spending for that item.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads