• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How should I get this hairstyle?

Badandy

Reaction score
Hey guys. First post in the forum. First off, I've read some stuff and it seems like a great place with knowledgeable people.

So, I need some advice dealing with hair. As it is, my hair is naturally thick, dirty blonde (will be lighter during the summer with some sunlight, and not oily. I have a standard haircut, shorter in sides and back with blend into longer on top. Your standard-fare conservative style which I can just leave straight, finger comb part, or formally part with a brush. I was looking at Ralph Lauren's site (where i buy almost all of my clothes), and there's this 8 year old kid on the front page whose hair style, and, most importantly, look and texture, I'd like to emulate.

If anyone can chime in with what kinds of cuts, products, and techniques I should use to achieve this desired hair style, that would be great. Thanks in advance for the help.

The kid should be on the main page here (http://www.ralphlauren.com/home/inde...b=global_logo).

If not, I'll attach a screen capture I took later in this thread. Thanks again.

Badandy
"What would you do if you knew that you could not fail?

Tcameron

Reaction score
The ol' Jim Halpert-esque. I have recently been getting a look similar to this by just conditioning my hair really well and letting the next several days take its natural tole on my hair. I don't know of specific products to help you achieve this without getting a shine or grease from the product, but perhaps a little mousse would do the trick, but I haven't known anyone to use mousse since '98. However, a little gel may to the trick to get the hair to stay this way. I use D:Fi, inexpensive and a little goes a long, long way.

I tend to only use pomade when I want to shellac my hair to the way of the other models on the Polo site.

Good luck with your hair, it's perfect for warm New England summers on MV.

Badandy

Reaction score
Ya, I think I might try not washing it for a few days, just rinsing and stuff. The problem with that, however, is I like to be clean and fresh, and I might not feel that way if I don't wash or condition. I definitely will try, thanks for the advice.

Also, does anyone know of another online forum that is really known for men's hairstyles and such? I was trying to find them, and this is the only active one that came up. I'd like to get multiple opinions, though.

Nicholas_JD_11

Reaction score
- textured cut
- some good quality wax or paste
- using your fingers, work it forward at a bit of an angle from the back of the side you want the loose part on, then sweep across the brow as you get to the front
- finish off with a few sprays of hairspray for a bit more hold

How to dry your hair, whether to apply the product when the hair is quite damp, or completely dry, will depend on the thickness/texture of your hair.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i have the same haircut - any good stylist should be able to do that.

make sure they thin your hair and actually cut into it at angles to get that same texture.

don't let them touch you with a razor except to cleanup your neck and side burns, because it tends to look 'too neat' and unnatural - and i assume you like that look bc it has that natural, carefree, look to it, minal styling look to it.

i have to use a mousee after i get out of the shower on the sides and back my hair grows straight out when its that short. i use the blow dryer to reinforce that hold, also, so i don't get slick wet look. i use a little bit of kiehl's creme with silk groom to defrizz and let it air dry.

i love that cut bc i can slick it back all vintage style, sweep it across my forehead, or do a looser more traditional part, and even the bed head look.

Badandy

Reaction score
So, for lack of a better word, you clump your hair like that with the mousse? My main problem seems to be getting that texture and kind of joining 100 individual hairs into one, if you catch my drift.

My hair is naturally thick, is there a reason I want to thin it out? It seems to me the kid's hair in that pic is pretty thick.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the problems with looking at cuts like that is knowing that your hair is going to grow. That kid, and most models you see, probably had their hair just recently cut/styled -- perhaps hours before. I think we have (a) similar hair -- mine is very very thick, quite dry and (b) we want that piecy, textured look.

Sometimes I get a cut like that and 7-10 days after my cut, after getting something a little more styled and less aggressively thinned/cut, it gets even more unmanageable. I don't mind getting my hair cut every three weeks, but any less than that is rediculous, plus I couldn't fit that into my schedule.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads