• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often will you do re-sole for your leather-sole shoes?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
Anyone else agree?

not at all.

good leather soles are not slippery - from the beginning

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
WTF is this collection of old wives' tales? Some mythbusting:

1. Applying topys requires zero wear as the cobbler will just sand the sole down a bit to create an adhesive surface. This does not shorten the life of the sole.

2. Heels always go before soles and topys cannot change that.

3. Goodyear welting has nothing to do with waterproofing. Leather is never waterproof.

4. Resoling once a year is excessive unless you're wearing the shoes 3-5 times a week, including in the rain, and walking a LOT. I have a beater pair that I have absolutely destroyed under the rain, on gravel, etc. that I still haven't had to resole after 1.5 years, and they don't even have a topy.

+1

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
1. Applying topys requires zero wear as the cobbler will just sand the sole down a bit to create an adhesive surface. This does not shorten the life of the sole.

yay and nay.

cheap leathersoles, which need to be topyied also need to be condensed from wearing before topying makes "sense". it's not that difficult to comprehend.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know, I still don't understand topys. Just don't wear the shoes in the rain and be careful walking. Even if you are wearing them in the rain if you give them two days to dry out they will be fine. I feel like if you want better traction just get shoes with a Dianite sole so it at least looks good and you don't have to deal with warped leather soles. Topies are so dorky looking, and ruin the elegance of the leather sole. You can easily not have to deal with them and the hasstle.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased the below shoes on Ebay. Florsheim Imperial Shell Cordovan, probably from the late 70's or early 80's. not sure. as you can see they had plenty of wear. they polished up nice, and the heels needed replacing.

but the cobbler told me the soles were still in fine shape, and my guess is they were original (since the heels looked original )

106.jpg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a pair that I wear once or twice a weak, walk a mile or so on and have been caught in the rain a few times. It just developed a tear on the sole after about 2 1/2 years.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfcboy
It seems the leather sole is wearing pretty quick, I am wondering how often you guys will do the re-sole for your shoes?

Don't let the contrast between the 'brand new' look and after the first wear fool you, they may ugly up pretty quicky but it will still take a long time for them to actually wear through.

And I don't know where you got the idea that goodyear welting = waterproof. It's a method of construction not of treating the leather. It's possible to waterproof the uppers using certain waxes but this is not so good for the leather so is best reserved for more utilitarian shoes, and waterproofing the soles wouldn't make any sense since any coating would just wear off within a few steps.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to waterproofing, perhaps the OP is confusing Goodyear welt and storm welt.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
Cause I do have my shoes resoled when they need it, i.e. when there is a hole that appears or is about to appear.
I do not understand why one would resole on a regular time basis, without taking into account the amount of wear.

+1

Perhaps I'm abusing the shoes a bit more than they should be, but I really can't be bothered to spend money on resoling unless a hole is about to appear, esp. since good resoling is not cheap.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
This is not true for all leather soles.

hmmh, what can i say now.

from my personal experience. i never had the slippery effect with leather, though with metal heel taps.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
hmmh, what can i say now.

from my personal experience. i never had the slippery effect with leather, though with metal heel taps.

Brand-new leather soles, without taps, can definitely be slippery. Even with really good leather, i.e., Redenbach or comparable. In my experience, a day's worth of wear will correct this problem, as slightly scored leather will provide better traction.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
OP - Those soles look normal to me and do not need to be re-soled. If you resole them, they'll look just like this after you wear them once or twice. What you see is just some minor surface abrasion. Wear them and don't resole until you wear a hole in them or they get very soft.

I can't answer the poll either as I only resole when needed.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
OP - Those soles look normal to me and do not need to be re-soled. If you resole them, they'll look just like this after you wear them once or twice. What you see is just some minor surface abrasion. Wear them and don't resole until you wear a hole in them or they get very soft. I can't answer the poll either as I only resole when needed.
The question he's really asking is how long it typically takes before your shoes need it. If you've ever resoled before, you can answer that one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads