• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much can pants be taken in?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
when trousers must be taken in a great deal a recut is in order.
to understand this turn to ask andy. use the search function type in to alter trousers. scroll down to that title. it will tell you how it is done.
dont forget that if the trousers are taken in that much the jacket must be taken in also.

uluvbs

Reaction score
So, consensus is that 1.5" is the max you can take them in without having them recut?

Thank you.

uluvbs

Reaction score
bumping
smile.gif

Otter91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Do you mean that the jacket has to be recut or that it needs to have waist suppression? Can a jacket one size too big eg 44R be successfully recut to 42R or would it be easier to just do waist suppression? I'd be grateful if you could shed any light on this.

not sure about the recutting of a jacket, but assuming that you bought two sizes too big (bought a 44 when you wear a 42) not only would the jacket need waist suppression, but the chest would be too big, the shoulders too big, the length longer etc.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that pants can be taken in 2" before a recut is required. If you go to places like the Mansion, Saks, and BG, the SA's will tell you that they do recuts fairly frequently. It is normally a $60-$80 operation. I've had it done successfully to suit pants from a size 40 jacket (34), but the pants are still an inch or so too big. I'm not willing to have them brought in any more for fear of having the balance thrown off. The biggest problem, IMO, is finding a jacket that actually fits in the waist- pants can be recut, but a jacket's waist can only be brought in so much.

I've accepted that I will never find OTR to fit me perfectly, so unless it's a bargain, my next suit will probably just have to be MTM. Even cuts like Z Zegna, with an 8 inch drop, are so tight in the shoulders that I have to size up, rendering the additional drop useless.

WilliamM

Reaction score
I have a very similar problem with suits, with 19.5" shoulders and a 33" waist, it is very hard to find anything that satisfies both. Unfortunately a nice MTM is out of my price range until I can make it into the full time work force.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indole