• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does growing a beard change your style of dress?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Mack personally and he is, uh, bald all over :lookaround:
mack, my preference is the beard, gives you an air of gravitas.

That was just my tadpole phase, which you were privileged to witness.

Gravitas always wins.

OK!
Here I am, after.

You resemble Stanley Marcus

Hm...Marcus.

Resembling the longtime chairman of Neiman Marcus and one of the great merchants of the 20th century is not a bad thing, i suppose.

It also brings up the question: If you have a large beard, should your clothing have larger proportions in collar, tie, and lapel?

Here is Mr. Marcus with the opposite, in Oxxford I think. Does it work?

Last edited:

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
I'm not sure that getting a look to go with your beard is the problem to be honest. My own personal opinion, and people will disagree with me, is that you should select the cut of your clothes to compliment your face and body shape regardless of whether or not you have facial hair. Having said that, a beard suggests maturity so maybe try a safe neutral look. I think it one of those things your just going to try out and see which looks best.

poissa

Reaction score
It is strange we would discuss items that are static: the ones most impacted by one's features: collar point lengths, perhaps tie width and length, dimensions of blazers/jackets; traditional items are proportional to one's body. When we start talking about fabric color, texture, and other negotiables it comes down to choice.
If you are working in banking, law, or conservative of fields, we entrust in conservative business dress. For the rest of us, do as you please, in regard to the negotiables.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads