• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I (discreetly) make my living space smell decently?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
If airing your home out doesn't work, get rid of your carpet. If that's not an option hire a professional cleaner to suck the stink out of it. If that's not an option either then an even easier method is to air it out for a day and then burn a "heavy" incense like Sandalwood or "Nag Champa" for as long as you can take it. I've found that the smell seems to seep into carpets and mask a lot of other odors without being overpowering. I had a friend in college who used to burn that stuff all the time when no one was over and his place always had this very subtle scent that was pleasant and not "girlie".

Burning incense like that is something I wouldn't personally recommend. I used to hate the smell of my sister's room because she did exactly that. The smell of incense stuck in a carpet isn't a good smell. :p

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  1. Shower everyday
  2. Don't let things rot in the kitchen sink, fridge or trash
  3. Fart inside the toilets room only
  4. Some scented candles can help
  5. Air the appartement

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score

turboman808

Reaction score
First time I heard anyone call fabreeze over powering. I really like the fabric refresher.

But also I like to just give each room a spray of my favorite calogne. Emporio Armani, which I don't find very over powering either.

Cedar is also nice. I have a chest in my living room made out of cedar and I can just pop that thing open for a few hours. Cedar shoe trees in the closet are nice as well.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...love to my gf's mom? was what I thought the abbreviated thread title would be, for some twisted reason.

As you were.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
After years of trying every possible home fragrance option, I am firmly in the reed diffuser camp.

It requires no input...you don't have to light anything...put anything out, worry about fire hazard, plug anything in, boil anything on the stove. You can control its strength, it works 24/7 and lasts for long periods of time, also making it quite economical.

The main problem (like all home fragrance) is finding a good one. It depends entirely on what type of fragrance you like, but there are good ones in every category.

Personally, I use and recommend Anthousa Collection. In Toronto, this is available through Holts, and in the US, at NM, but I'm sure Googling will locate it for you.

I wouldn't call it inexpensive (about $70 for 245 ml), but considering the quality of the fragrance, and how long it lasts (months & months), it's probably no more expensive in the long run than those horrid Glade Plug-ins.

My personal choice is from their Chinoiserie Collection (with lovely black opaque bottles) and called...

Winter Daphne Peony & Clove

"A combination of fragrant Oriental florals and spice. Peony, Red Rose, White Daphne and Lily of the Valley are interwoven with the spiciness of Indonesian Clove and Pimento Berry Oil. Notes of Ruby Grapefruit and Calabrian Bergamot are blended with Amber and hints of Musk. Indonesian Clove Bud has both healing and soothing properties."

On special occasions, when you have evening get-togethers, and want something a little more potent, but only for a few hours, I recommend a high quality candle...one that does the trick and isn't all too expensive is Votivo...they are quite potent...Red Current seems to be the universal favorite (you are guaranteed positive comments).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dmax;458981 said:
Claus Porto makes this Tabaco candle, which smells of coffee and tabacco.

B000H2DR74.01-A1JZL1L8ARSOYB._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

hey, throw in peanutbutter and that will be great for when I miss my dad.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads