• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Houston or Atlanta: Which is in more need of a high quality menswear or men's dress shoe store?

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Houston is in serious need of one. I've thought about trying to put together a plan to open one, but I don't have the time or the knowledge to really do it right.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If there is still none in 30 years, I'll be looking into it.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there is still none in 30 years, I'll be looking into it.

Likewise, though more like 35 for me, and in HTX. Dallas has a few nice places (eg. Pockets). We've got Norton Ditto, Sid Mashburn, and M Penner on the high end and they're alright but I don't think Norton or M Penner have much of the sort of stuff I'm looking for. It's nice having Sid here for sure, and they carry a great selection of brands. Still a student so what I can buy there is quite limited. Festari is...meh. I also haven't been impressed by much at Rye51. I still need to check out Dryden Kreps. On the streetwear side I think Reserve Supply and The Class Room do a really good job with the mainstream brands IMO. AFAIK nobody carrying Japanese stuff like Needles.

I would love for somebody to start carrying Carmina.

Options are certainly increasing though, Suit Supply recently opened, John Lobb, Cucinelli, ?Etro?, Tom Ford, and a few more super high-end brands are opening up shops at BLVD Place (I think that's the name) in the next 1-2 years. None of these (excepting SS) are what I'd consider Styleforum staples for that sweet spot of great quality without excessive markup.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Sid and Suit Supply are going to make a positive change in the way HTX is dressed. We're a pretty poorly dressed city on the whole, larger-sized oil barons aside. I have been noticing more AE and Alden lately but also I do have a very skewed perspective basically living and operating inside the TMC exclusively for the past several years. When I go to Sid Mashburn it's encouraging to see men in their 30's and 40's taking an interest and dressing well. And it's O_O to see folks walk out with a couple pairs of Edward Greens! A mini chain would do well here, though I think you'd have to be careful not to fall into the Ben Silver/Vineyard Vines/Brooks Brothers look because there's already quite a bit of that here.

@jrd617 Houston is the 4th largest city, we have a very large and hardworking immigrant population as a major port city, and a large displaced/homeless contingent. Furthermore I do think it's possible that there's a more equitable distribution of wealth in ATL whereas HTX has a larger number of millionaires and billionaires.

Last edited:

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a store that focused on under 40 or 50 year old professionals and similar would do well here (Houston). I know a ton of people that want to dress better, they just don't really know how, and don't want to spend the time to learn. A store that catered to that would, I think, do well.

Southeasterly

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Houston. ATL has some pretty good options. Sid has some nice stuff, but frankly the vibe of the store strikes me as hokey. I always find Hong Kong Tailor to be first rate and Neil is great with fittings. I think there are some other solid tailors in town too. I haven't checked out H Stockton, but they have some legit brands (Samuelsohn, Alden). I feel like ATL could mostly use some more shoe choice. I don't know of a Carmina retailer here and that seems silly.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Sid and Suit Supply are going to make a positive change in the way HTX is dressed. We're a pretty poorly dressed city on the whole, larger-sized oil barons aside. I have been noticing more AE and Alden lately but also I do have a very skewed perspective basically living and operating inside the TMC exclusively for the past several years. When I go to Sid Mashburn it's encouraging to see men in their 30's and 40's taking an interest and dressing well. And it's O_O to see folks walk out with a couple pairs of Edward Greens! A mini chain would do well here, though I think you'd have to be careful not to fall into the Ben Silver/Vineyard Vines/Brooks Brothers look because there's already quite a bit of that here.

@jrd617 Houston is the 4th largest city, we have a very large and hardworking immigrant population as a major port city, and a large displaced/homeless contingent. Furthermore I do think it's possible that there's a more equitable distribution of wealth in ATL whereas HTX has a larger number of millionaires and billionaires.
I think a store that focused on under 40 or 50 year old professionals and similar would do well here (Houston). I know a ton of people that want to dress better, they just don't really know how, and don't want to spend the time to learn. A store that catered to that would, I think, do well.

From what I know of the city (my wife went to high school there), there are a lot of 30 and 40 somethings who would be interested in more classic menswear. I could see the understated style of of a guy like @Claghorn being a good template for what could be offered. There seems to be a demographic hungry for reasonably priced tailoring and footwear (Carmina seems to be an obvious choice) combined with good advice.

Cheers,

Fok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads