• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horseback Riding: Didn't know I'd like it so much!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I love riding, but I haven't ridden almost at all over the past 20 years, maybe a few times. I worked with horses when I was a kid, off and on for a few years. I'd love to get back into it.

went riding today, a guy I work with invited me out to where he stables his horse, and a friend of his lent me his horse. these were soem ******* spirited animals. there was a lot of adrenalin involved, it really got my heart racing. the horse I was riding on spent a good bit of time trying to figure out what I was worth, and I was sure that it was going to bash me against a fence to try to get me off. it was a real blast.

I think that I am going to look into riding on a regular basis, when I get home.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May update this thread come later in the year when I start up some regular weekly riding.

I used to riding with a friend's horse and go wandering out wherever for miles in the countryside in early part of Junior High. Looked for creek beds to build forts, abandoned barns, race through fields, find abandon farmhouses... and of course the occasional pot field around junior high.

Was a blast for those summers. It wasn't until I got older how much damn money and time the things cost to own and maintain. Whatever, I'll be learning a lot over the next year as far as technical proficiency, jumping ect.

Have never rode one without a saddle, am hoping to try this at least once.

navalnola

Reaction score
Grew up having three horses because my sister rode. I'd ride every now and then, but none of the hunters and jumpers like she did. Girl that I now date run the equestrian team at my university and is big into jumping. I've gone a few times, and they really are great animals.

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
That's not likely to happen. They may stumble but rarely do they go down.

About half the people I know that have ever ridden a horse have had a horse fall on them. One friend got smashed under a horse just last year, needed an MRI and everything. The horse stepped funny on some sand and fell right over.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
i also had some pretty nasty injuries as a result of riding. as much as horses are beautiful, majestic animals, they are ******* stupid, skittish and have the temperament of rabbits.
Get better horses and/or train them better. All of mine were bombproof; I could shoot a gun off their backs etc. without issue. Or buy a mule, although their desire to plot against you may make for an unpleasant experience. I loved my horses but they are expensive and take a lot of effort. My ATV eats only when I feed it fuel and I never have to shovel ****. Women really like going riding horses on dates though!

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upstarter
This was my first time ever being on a horse (I'm 22 yrs old). I would HIGHLY recommend that place I went to: http://pvhorses.com/

The views were truly amazing and I loved the scenery. Great staff too. I live in the south bay, so it was close by. As stated, I'd like to try some other places in LA, specifically Malibu, but this place will probably end up being my go to place once I've explored the scene a bit. Just be sure to call ahead to know what times the rides are available.

I'm interested

Do you know their pricing and address? The site doesn't tell much.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In TN they would train police horses by doing a bunch of drills while some redneck kid would run around screaming and shooting the horse with nerf guns.

Toasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Few things more attractive than a sexy girl on horseback and girls in riding clothes

Originally Posted by West24
a guy on horse back in riding clothes?

Actually, guys in riding clothes are ridiculously popular, in my experience. Must be the tights. And, you know, the whole 'owns/rides horses' thing. Keep in mind, though, that skittish horses are all part of the fun- if you can ride them, you can ride anything. If you'd prefer, though, draft horses are usually as laid-back as they come.

You aren't yet a real rider until you've fallen off the horse, though!

Stokely

Reaction score
Got bucked by a half wild Anatolian couple weeks ago in Turkey. My wife is a ******* pro and it is amazing to see her gallop. Pure beauty.

TheButler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
laugh.gif
As much as I love horses, this made me lol. Hit the nail on the head with that last part. There are some fairly smart horses, but even the smart ones do some really stupid ****. Bad eyesight and evolutionary programming have definitely not helped with it.

My wife taught me to ride when we were dating. Her parents had two horses - the gelding was solid and reliable, the mare was skittish. After a year or so, we used to trade off on the skittish horse because she was more 'fun'. Well, fun in the sense of "can you stay on when you are galloping down a road and your horse suddenly leaps five feet to the left without breaking stride because something splashed in the ditch beside her." That sort of adrenalin-blast-inducing-heart-stopping fun.

The gelding never did that. He was long-legged though and in spite of his steady nature if you could give him enough encouragement he would give the mare a run for her money. We used to go all-out on the flat stretches and they really seemed to enjoy the competition.

Last thing I really enjoyed was when we used to ride into town, park the horses outside the beer store, grab a six pack and a bag of ice to fill the saddlebags, and head for the beach. You get lots of funny looks from the locals. My wife said it reminded her of when she used to walk her horse through the drive thru where she went to high school in Colorado.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads