• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hooded sweatshirt

tsloop

Reaction score
I really need a nice hooded sweatshirt but I have no clue where to look for one, I just need one in solid black or navy. What brands should I be looking for? The only hooded sweatshirts I have owned in the past were russell but that was a long time ago and they were all baggy and loose, I need one that is pretty fitted and slim. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try American Apparel. If you want to go the designer/premium route, A.P.C. is always reliable, and Paper Denim and Rogan are good. I wear a Helmut Lang hoodie, and the quality and cut are both superb. Personally, for this fall, I ordered burgundy fleece hoodie from fabric8.com (fleece hoodie) that is simple but distinctive.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have lots of actual vintage hoodies. The problem is that, imo, they tend to be a little short in the sleeves, especially if you want them in a trim fit. This is especially true of the 80's styles of the post Rocky era. Usually end up having to roll up my sleeves (otherwise, they would be 3/4 length.)

Brian SD

Reaction score
LA Guy, where would one find a seller of A.P.C.? I have never bought this label before.

On a more related note, I second both the American Apparel and the Helmut Lang route.. get both. You never can have too many hoodies.

tsloop

Reaction score
Where would be the best place to find helmut lang hoodies? I looked on ebay but didnt see any, maybe im just looking wrong.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Best to wait for big sales or check outlets near major metropolitan areas (LA) if you want to find a Helmut Lang hoodie. On sale, you might get one for $100 - 150. http://www.americanapparelstore.com/5497.html I have never worn one, but I have full trust in AA, enough that I would buy it blindly. The Asphault wash looks great.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up my Helmut Lang hoodie for $29 at Filene's basement. Should've picked up two. It's my favorite (hoodie) with a Krones and Kin zip up falling a distant second. APC is available at www.apc.fr, at Barneys Co-op and at selected specialty stores.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Did I mention that I hate everyone who has a Filene's Basement?
angry.gif

tsloop

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, can't we at least get one somewhere close to this half of the US

Brian SD

Reaction score
On the subject of A.P.C., evidently they make an overcoat which is exactly what I want. Maybe I'll have to save up $602 (which seems cheap, considering I like it more than the Dior Homme overcoat which is $3,000).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah... I will have to sometime. It's just sad, those of you who don't live in Seattle have no idea of the dearth of good clothing we have here, at least at a discount. I'm sure there are more things available at full retail than I care to know about, but for such an international city we sure are an untapped market.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the subject of A.P.C., evidently they make an overcoat which is exactly what I want. Maybe I'll have to save up $602 (which seems cheap, considering I like it more than the Dior Homme overcoat which is $3,000).

Wait for the sale. Everything except for the denim goes on the website goes on sale (40% off) towards the end of the season. Since SD has no real winter, you can afford to wait.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads