• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailors

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a thread for anyone who has used/uses tailors from Hong Kong for bespoke/MTM suits...i'm not too familiar with suiting, and it's the one area of clothing that i've been meaning to explore further now that i'm a working professional and won't have time to wear my usual clothes. I've had 4 suits made in Hong Kong; the first was absolute crap and way too tight (i basically took my 2 button Dior, made drawings from its measurements and tried to have the tailor replicate it, the result was a total disaster that made me look like a sausage case). Then I went to another tailor, Bosco, in Admiralty in the Queensway building who seemed to have a good finish from what I saw in the windows. Had 2 suits whipped up, i just requested a basic notch lapel 2 button in the fabrics i chose and didn't ask too much in terms of details as i needed them in a hurry for the start of work. They came out decent, not stellar but acceptable for the position of work i'm in now. So I went back for a third suit, this time i made some personal requests to be added in terms of details and i think it's the best (probably only good) mtm suit i've had so far. Here's a picture:
n2207649_39569821_2374.jpg
i've come to realize that all his suits appear to be half canvassed (or they may be fused...can't tell the difference between those two but they're definitely not fully canvassed). I tried asking him to do the fully canvassed and he said it wasn't necessary, showed me a bunch of other suits he's done that looked amazing but weren't fully canvassed either. For about $700 i think the make is not bad, definitely better than RTW suits i can get for that price in HK...but i feel like it's a bit difficult communicating with him on what I want, but haven't tried any other tailors for fear of being out of my price range. I took a look at Tai Pan Row in IFC, suits were fully canvassed but looking at them hanging they seemed to lack a certain 'pop' that i can see from Bosco's suits right away. Also another thing that bothers me a bit is Bosco tends to take a bit too much creative license with the styling, i once asked him if he could do a three piece suit and he was very reluctant, scoffing "they're not in style anymore!" so i didn't push it. It took me a lot of convincing to get him to make shorter pants on this grey suit from the two previous suits which were a bit saggy in the ankle area. If anyone is familiar with the HK tailoring circuit, please feel free to share your experiences and/or recommendations for future reference. Thanks.

montgomery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
this is a thread for anyone who has used/uses tailors from Hong Kong for bespoke/MTM suits...i'm not too familiar with suiting, and it's the one area of clothing that i've been meaning to explore further now that i'm a working professional and won't have time to wear my usual clothes. I've had 4 suits made in Hong Kong; the first was absolute crap and way too tight (i basically took my 2 button Dior, made drawings from its measurements and tried to have the tailor replicate it, the result was a total disaster that made me look like a sausage case). Then I went to another tailor, Bosco, in Admiralty in the Queensway building who seemed to have a good finish from what I saw in the windows. Had 2 suits whipped up, i just requested a basic notch lapel 2 button in the fabrics i chose and didn't ask too much in terms of details as i needed them in a hurry for the start of work.

They came out decent, not stellar but acceptable for the position of work i'm in now. So I went back for a third suit, this time i made some personal requests to be added in terms of details and i think it's the best (probably only good) mtm suit i've had so far. Here's a picture:

n2207649_39569821_2374.jpg

i've come to realize that all his suits appear to be half canvassed (or they may be fused...can't tell the difference between those two but they're definitely not fully canvassed). I tried asking him to do the fully canvassed and he said it wasn't necessary, showed me a bunch of other suits he's done that looked amazing but weren't fully canvassed either. For about $700 i think the make is not bad, definitely better than RTW suits i can get for that price in HK...but i feel like it's a bit difficult communicating with him on what I want, but haven't tried any other tailors for fear of being out of my price range. I took a look at Tai Pan Row in IFC, suits were fully canvassed but looking at them hanging they seemed to lack a certain 'pop' that i can see from Bosco's suits right away.

Also another thing that bothers me a bit is Bosco tends to take a bit too much creative license with the styling, i once asked him if he could do a three piece suit and he was very reluctant, scoffing "they're not in style anymore!" so i didn't push it. It took me a lot of convincing to get him to make shorter pants on this grey suit from the two previous suits which were a bit saggy in the ankle area.

If anyone is familiar with the HK tailoring circuit, please feel free to share your experiences and/or recommendations for future reference. Thanks.

Baroman is the best tailor in Hong Kong,so I heard.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As respectfully and gently as possible, may I suggest you use the search function, whereby you will more than likely unearth far more info on HK tailors than you can possibly want or use.

Briefly put, I am a very satisfied customer of W.W. Chan, although I only know them through their order tours. So far, I have purchased one suit, nine jackets and five shirts from them, and I am eagerly counting the days until their next visit less than two months hence.

The word I've gotten on H. Baroman is that their workmanship is excellent, design and styling very stodgy--a lot like Oxxford. They are perhaps the most expensive HK tailor.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a 3 roll to 2 suit?
I don't like the placement of the ticket pocket.
Bosco suit in their window look good.
I just bought buttons from them, never try their suit.
You get what you pay for. At that price range, I think Bosco is not bad.
If you want a real full canvassed suit, perpare to paid 50%-70% more.
Last week I passed by Tai Pan Row, they quoted me HK$14,000 for a Loro Piana tasmanian. They are out of their mind. Moreover, they use fusible with canvass.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
Is it a 3 roll to 2 suit?
I don't like the placement of the ticket pocket.
Bosco suit in their window look good.
I just bought buttons from them, never try their suit.
You get what you pay for. At that price range, I think Bosco is not bad.
If you want a real full canvassed suit, perpare to paid 50%-70% more.
Last week I passed by Tai Pan Row, they quoted me HK$14,000 for a Loro Piana tasmanian. They are out of their mind. Moreover, they use fusible with canvass.

if you are after LP stuff i would avoid TPR in fact there super mark up their prices i would avoid them in general, baroman was good in the 60's and 70's when he was alive same as Jimmy Chen and a few others, stick with the big 3 and you will be safe!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xpsonya17