• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holy crap have I been neglecting cardio

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I guess, but it's sometimes hard enough to do sprint intervals the day after squatting (which is, well, every day I do cardio). Clean & jerks after having done military presses, squats, deadlifts, etc the day before sounds like I'm in danger of overworking.

Mostly I was wondering about Eason mentioning that he switched to a circuit "instead of" his normal lifting routine.

Supersets+heavy lifts+enough protein = little lost muscle

Time to do my circuit again :/

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
well if you structure it like

monday: full body lifting - heavy
tuesday: cardio intervals
wed: full body lifting - circuit based
thurs: off
friday: full body lifting - heavier (lower body pulling only)
saturday: tabata (front squats)
sunday: off

I don't think you should be in any real danger of overtraining.

This is interesting. I might modify it slightly, but I could see myself doing something like that. Though the idea of hitting upper body heavy only once a week is psychologically hard for me (though intellectually I realize it shouldn't be a problem).

Originally Posted by Eason
Supersets+heavy lifts+enough protein = little lost muscle

Time to do my circuit again :/

Good to know. Thanks!

Go kick some ass.

smw356

Reaction score
just to clarify I didn't mean only do lower body pulling on Friday. I meant just only do pulling for your lower body. By all means go heavy on upper body stuff.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
just to clarify I didn't mean only do lower body pulling on Friday. I meant just only do pulling for your lower body. By all means go heavy on upper body stuff.

In my head, I was imagining deadlifts + glute/ham raises + lord knows what else. It sounded horrible.
smile.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though I'm no stranger to cardio or sports, I haven't supersetted in about half a year. So, inspired by this thread, I just did:
Originally Posted by CrossFit
Monday 080303

"Linda"

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:

Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight
Bench press: body weight
Clean: 3/4 body weight

Set up three bars and storm through for time.

Post time to comments.

~ 30 minutes.

That was rough.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really like to mix my cardio and lifting. Right now I'm doing full-body heavy lifting 3 days a week, then on the off days I'm doing 15 minutes of mid/high intensity steady-state cardio followed by three rounds of a bodyweight circuit (chins, bodyweight rows, clap pushups, jumps).

I just find it difficult to gather up the mental focus to move large weights when I'm tired from cardio.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
I don't really like to mix my cardio and lifting. Right now I'm doing full-body heavy lifting 3 days a week, then on the off days I'm doing 15 minutes of mid/high intensity steady-state cardio followed by three rounds of a bodyweight circuit (chins, bodyweight rows, clap pushups, jumps).
Funny, for I too like bodyweight circuits after shorter bouts of steady-state cardio. Otherwise, I'd feel guilty; being used to >35 min. session does that to you.
laugh.gif

I just find it difficult to gather up the mental focus to move large weights when I'm tired from cardio.
Lift first, then cardio. Except may be 5-10 mins of stationary bike / ellipticals before heavy squat / DL days. Or when doing one of those CrossFit / Litvinov's squat-sprint routine. Works for me.

kever

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph

Out of curiosity, how does your body respond to a split like this? I know if I did that my body would not recover in time for the next days lifts. I can feel my over training first in my wrists, and doing heavy full body lifts, then chins and bodyweight rows on days when not lifting would kill my wrists (by this I mean my grip strength would be gone). Do you do this for an extended period, or just a few weeks? That's impressive if your body can do this and still make progress.

Back on topic now..... I know when I stop cardio it takes me a few hellish weeks to get it back. I know that if I push myself hard those first few weeks though, it makes getting back into it a lot quicker then "easing" into it. I'd rather do sprints, run stairs, run intervals and do distance running all at high intensity for an hour and hurt every minute of it, than do 45 minutes of elliptical at my target heart rate. I like the feeling of putting in work, and my body feels a lot better after a hard workout then it does after a workout that I know wasn't 100% effort.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Funny, for I too like bodyweight circuits after shorter bouts of steady-state cardio. Otherwise, I'd feel guilty; being used to >35 min. session does that to you.
laugh.gif

Exactly.
smile.gif
And I know that I could do cardio after the weights, but I usually don't have enough energy left to keep up the intensity or duration. Or maybe I just like having something to do on off-days.

Originally Posted by kever
Out of curiosity, how does your body respond to a split like this? I know if I did that my body would not recover in time for the next days lifts. I can feel my over training first in my wrists, and doing heavy full body lifts, then chins and bodyweight rows on days when not lifting would kill my wrists (by this I mean my grip strength would be gone). Do you do this for an extended period, or just a few weeks? That's impressive if your body can do this and still make progress.

Well, since I'm not doing a high-volume program at the moment, the extra sets of chins and rows and whatnot don't seem to be pushing the volume into insanity territory. I'm also doing the circuit with 10 reps per exercise. YMMV, but knocking out sets of 10 bodyweight chins isn't really a strain for me, so the effect is more metabolic than anything else. But yes, if progress stalls, then I'll cut down on the circuit or just do steady-state.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics