• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highschool!

Hanseat

Reaction score
I'd recommend checking out the Streetwear and Denim part of Styleforum for your needs as an average HS student as you've descibed yourself...

Other than that it really depends on what the social context is like and what image you want to project.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
1) your high school time would be best spent learning English and how to write/communicate without making up words as you go along.
ahh he's ahead of his time, I didnt start creating my own words til well after college.

My advice - just dont buy stuff eleven sizes too big and you will be well ahead of the pack.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at what the dudes getting all the girls are wearing. That should be a good indication but only get what looks right on you. Eventually, you would surpass that and develope your own handsomeosity but taking cues is not bad for now. That is WAY better then taking advice from a forum that dosen't know anything about you.

lovenumbers

Reaction score
I don't think you deserved the teasing some members gave you. You asked a straightforward question, and you deserve an answer.

I think if I were in high school now and wanted to look nice without overdoing it I would probably wear nicely pressed Land's End dress twills (the 100% cotton version) and Brooks Brothers buttondowns with penny loafers or some nice Rockports. You can add a little flash with brightly colored socks if you like. I also think nice dark Levi's 501 with simple sneakers and a Brooks Bros blue oxford buttondown is very good look. (Roll up the sleeves to look more casual.) If you are tan, the yellow oxford looks great, if you want girls to notice wear the pink oxford! If it is hot replace the dress shirt with a nice polo. When it gets cooler a solid color crew neck shetland sweater or v-neck sweater vest would go well. Don't wear any thing with words or pictures printed on it. I would say no logos at all but it's hard to get a good polo that doesn't have some small logo on it. A simple corduroy sport coat is another item to consider.

Good luck.

modsquad

Reaction score
Uncle Meat,

Don't listen to these guys, dude. High school is tough enough without getting razzed for trying to pull a look together. Versace Man has the right approach. Answer his questions and we'll have some ideas for you. And do look at the Streetwear forum, that might answer most of your questions right there.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovenumbers
I don't think you deserved the teasing some members gave you. You asked a straightforward question, and you deserve an answer.

I think if I were in high school now and wanted to look nice without overdoing it I would probably wear nicely pressed Land's End dress twills (the 100% cotton version) and Brooks Brothers buttondowns with penny loafers or some nice Rockports. You can add a little flash with brightly colored socks if you like. I also think nice dark Levi's 501 with simple sneakers and a Brooks Bros blue oxford buttondown is very good look. (Roll up the sleeves to look more casual.) If you are tan, the yellow oxford looks great, if you want girls to notice wear the pink oxford! If it is hot replace the dress shirt with a nice polo. When it gets cooler a solid color crew neck shetland sweater or v-neck sweater vest would go well. Don't wear any thing with words or pictures printed on it. I would say no logos at all but it's hard to get a good polo that doesn't have some small logo on it. A simple corduroy sport coat is another item to consider.

Good luck.

no offense, but that would have got you beaten up at my school

wilson brother

Reaction score
Hey Unclemeat,

if you live near the beach..I have some suggestions:

bbwickerbig.jpg

but maybe if you are not in California..and you were this it could be even better for the kids in your school..

or could you try this Old Navy?:

on-otf-out04509odv01.jpg

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovenumbers

Good luck.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH, this fool is going to get his ass beat if he follows your advice. I actually am in high school, (sophomore) and this is my wardrobe:

Jeans: (Mostly PDC and ES got on a discount, and 1 pair APC NS)
Shirts: (H&M, Zara, Thrift Store, Diesel)
Assesories: (Necklaces, Err Belts and stuff)
Tees: Mondern Amusement, Alot of Uniqlo ( I was in Hong Kong for a couple of weeks), AA, Anything that looks nice.

Try to find what you'll feel comfortable in a wear it. Don;t copy the popular kids at your school because chances re they are still wearing Phat farm. On a different note, has anyone found it funny when a fat dude walks by wearing a Phat Farm T-shirt? I crack up every time.

chicagobull

Reaction score
Your best bet is to go with some simple, timeless items that will last your thru your high school years, and give you a good start for college. I felt that I had a pretty classic look in high school, but I went to an upper-middle class suburban high school. Things are probably different at schools in the city, or out in rural ares, and depending on socioeconomic factors.. Here are my suggestions:

-a couple good pairs of jeans that fit you well.
-a pair of comfortable khakis
-adidas pants
-polos
-a few button down shirts like oxfords in NEUTRAL colors. Stay away from the pink, unless it is popular in your area.
-a zip up hoodie in either navy or gray. very versaitile
-some song sleeve waffle knit shirts for layering
-some classic, simple sneakers like adidas
-another pair of shoes, like doc martins, if they are still popular (or the current equivalent)
-a watch! Even high school girls recognize a quality watch.

Other notes:
-the most important thing is buying clothes that fit you well. It took me a while to learn this, and I still have 1/2 my closet filled with clothes that I don't wear because they are too long, don't fit in the shoulders, are too tight in the crotch, etc.
-buy clothes that are comfortable, its high school! Dressing to fancy will make you look like you are tryin way too hard.
-buy stuff on sale. If you are buying clothes that are clean, and timeless, they will go on sale at the end of each season, and will last you a few years. Ie. Polo.com had polos on sale for $30 in every color last month.
-stay away from the sportscoats as another poster mentioned. Too much for high school. If you need a coat, get a peacoat.
-Abercrombie clothing is actually pretty good quality IMO (much better than the Gap and AE). It is too bad that they ruin most of their clothing with stupid slogans, rips, stains, and cuts that only fit people who have less than 5% body fat.
-Best stores for you to check out are probably J.Crew, AF (if it fits properly), Old navy for stuff like undershirts and henleys, discount stores like Marshall's, Nordstrom Rack etc., department stores, etc.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
1) your high school time would be best spent learning English and how to write/communicate without making up words as you go along. 2) you are in the wrong place asking for advice, as you are -most likely not financially able to dress in the styles advocated here -most likely going to be an outcast by showing up in HIGH SCHOOL in a jacket/collared shirt/pants/leather laced shoes -likely going to have your particular sexual leaning called into question
And YOUR time would be best spent not patronizing others. If you have nothing constructive to add, don't post. I'm going to be one of those few people that say go a little (but not TOO) crazy while you're still young... though if you want to look back at your high school picture in a decade and not gasp, dress a little more appropriately come picture day. Most of the advice above is pretty sound. EDIT: I'm going to have to contradict chicagobull here, Doc Martens aren't really worth your money. Me and my friends all used to have a pair, and they started falling apart within a month of the purchase. Your $150 is better spent on a few pairs of classic sneakers (Vans Old Skool, Converse, etc.) or decently made casual shoes IMO.

chicagobull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
And YOUR time would be best spent not patronizing others. If you have nothing constructive to add, don't post. I'm going to be one of those few people that say go a little (but not TOO) crazy while you're still young... though if you want to look back at your high school picture in a decade and not gasp, dress a little more appropriately come picture day. Most of the advice above is pretty sound. EDIT: I'm going to have to contradict chicagobull here, Doc Martens aren't really worth your money. Me and my friends all used to have a pair, and they started falling apart within a month of the purchase. Your $150 is better spent on a few pairs of classic sneakers (Vans Old Skool, Converse, etc.) or decently made casual shoes IMO.
Your Docs fell apart? really? I bought a pair of Doc Martens my junior year of high school, wore them all through high school and college, and noone would guess that they are now 8 years old, as they have held up so well. I guess it depends on which model/style you bought, and I have also read that the quality has gone downhill. Anyways, the point is that docs were the cool shoes to have back when I was in high school, and I am sure there is a current "it" shoe out there. I would say stay away from steve madden though, as most of the styles look tacky, and they will DEFINATELY fall apart on you.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilson brother
Hey Unclemeat,

if you live near the beach..I have some suggestions:

bbwickerbig.jpg

OMIGOD!!
laugh.gif
even his mom and dad will
laugh.gif
when they see him wearing that when they pick him up in the e.r.!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads