• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High-end watches...help me decide!

brosnan6

Reaction score
Hey everybody....long time lurker but first time poster in these parts. I finally have a question worthy of asking here
smile.gif
I am being offered a few choices in watches as a graduation present and I'm having trouble deciding from my options. Option 1- SS Rolex Daytona in white dial (the waitlist only model, but family is good friends with a jeweler who will give us his next arrival at MSRP) Option 2- Cartier 21 Chronoscaph, part of the Ligne 21 de Cartier collection...there are 3 different styles within the extra-large sizes...one with SS/rubber combo strap, SS band w/ dark face, and SS band w/ white face. I haven't actually seen the Cartiers in person yet, but I am planning a trip to some stores later this week What say the style gurus about these choices? Anything else you guys would recommend? My choices are not limited to these particular models, but these are the ones I like so far. My only criteria: -It must be a larger watch (I dislike small lightweight ones), -It have a metal band as I cannot stand a leather strap!

gvibes

Reaction score
I would not buy a Cartier sport watch. If those are the only two options, get the Rolex.

brosnan6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gvibes
I would not buy a Cartier sport watch. If those are the only two options, get the Rolex.

Would you buy a Cartier at all if it was another collection?

They aren't my only two options, just two that I have in mind right now...I welcome your suggestions!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's some seriously NICE presents for graduation. You got good family.

Anyway, know that the SS Daytona, white dial to boot, is a highly highly desired watch in the US. When in doubt, get this one, you will not regret. FWIW, I have one, the very last year that Rolex used the Zenith El Primero movement, so it's actually quite collectible also.

I actually don't like the Cartiers that you linked. If you want to get a Cartier, at least get a distinctive/iconoclastic one (Santos, Tank, Pasha).

Are you looking for a sporty watch or dressy watch?

brosnan6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
That's some seriously NICE presents for graduation. You got good family.

Anyway, know that the SS Daytona, white dial to boot, is a highly highly desired watch in the US. When in doubt, get this one, you will not regret. FWIW, I have one, the very last year that Rolex used the Zenith El Primero movement, so it's actually quite collectible also.

I actually don't like the Cartiers that you linked. If you want to get a Cartier, at least get a distinctive/iconoclastic one (Santos, Tank, Pasha).

Are you looking for a sporty watch or dressy watch?

Yeah, the rarity of the Daytona white dial is definitely one factor that will play into my decision...not to mention my dad likes that one the best as well. As an aside, it's a great investment. Not that I'm looking at it as that, but it definitely appreciates in value...for example getting it at list price means if I wanted to sell it tomorrow, I could sell it for close to double and I'd have buyers lined up. My dad also has an Explorer II he paid something like 2800 for when he bought it, and it easily sells for well over $5k right now...

I like the other Cartier watches, but they are all too small for me. I want an everyday wear watch and the Santos or Tank don't cut it. Unless there are larger models I haven't seen...but I'll confirm that when I go to the boutique later.

FInally, I'm looking for a watch that works well both for everyday use and for dress use...the Daytona fits that bill pretty well.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cartier now makes a bigger Santos, to fit in with the "big" watch craze.

The Pashas are about the size of the Daytona.

When in doubt, get the Daytona.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the Rolex. You can always sell it if it doesn't suit you. With Cartier, prepare for massive depreciation in value.

chronic

Reaction score
Get the Daytona. +1 on everything said about value, appreciation, etc.

But also, the Cartier is pretty small...38mm. And quartz. I should know...I have one. In hindsight, I should have gotten an automatic, since they usually have a better resell value, but I didn't know too much about watches back when I got it.

Finally, I believe there is a significant difference in price b/t the Daytona and the Chronoscaph, so even if you get the Daytona and don't like it, you can sell it and buy the Cartier, if not a few of them. Or we can trade watches
laugh.gif

What does the SS Daytona MSRP for anyway? And anyway I can get on that waiting list?
devil.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Yeah, the rarity of the Daytona white dial is definitely one factor that will play into my decision...not to mention my dad likes that one the best as well. As an aside, it's a great investment. Not that I'm looking at it as that, but it definitely appreciates in value...for example getting it at list price means if I wanted to sell it tomorrow, I could sell it for close to double and I'd have buyers lined up. My dad also has an Explorer II he paid something like 2800 for when he bought it, and it easily sells for well over $5k right now...

I like the other Cartier watches, but they are all too small for me. I want an everyday wear watch and the Santos or Tank don't cut it. Unless there are larger models I haven't seen...but I'll confirm that when I go to the boutique later.

FInally, I'm looking for a watch that works well both for everyday use and for dress use...the Daytona fits that bill pretty well.

No question. Get the Daytona.

But be realistic in what you imagine you'd be able to sell it for.
There's no way anyone would pay double retail for it.
A more realistic price would be $10K.

Same with the Explorer II.
No one in their right mind would pay $5K for a used Explorer that's approaching
10 years old when they could get a brand new one for not a lot more.

sammy

Reaction score
For an everyday versatile watch, its hard to beat a SS Rolex. I have a SS Datejust as my daily watch. I personally do not like the Daytona, but I'm probably in the minority. Given your criteria, I would go for a SS Submariner with a black dial.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Rolex.
I got a Yachtmaster when I graduated from law school, which is very nice as well - have you considered one? It's got a white dial as well and IMHO the cleaner look is slightly nicer than the daytona. Unless you really need the chrono function though...?

brosnan6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronic
Get the Daytona. +1 on everything said about value, appreciation, etc.

[snip]

What does the SS Daytona MSRP for anyway? And anyway I can get on that waiting list?
devil.gif

I believe the MSRP is something like $6800. As for the waiting list, it's very difficult to do so -- you basically have to buy a lot of stuff from the jeweler in question. My dad doesn't buy much, but he has personally referred 15-20 friends from work over the years to the same jeweler and all of them have bought multiple high-end watches, so it's safe to say we are on very good terms with this guy
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by sammy
For an everyday versatile watch, its hard to beat a SS Rolex. I have a SS Datejust as my daily watch. I personally do not like the Daytona, but I'm probably in the minority. Given your criteria, I would go for a SS Submariner with a black dial.

I'm not personally a fan of the Submariner or the Datejust, but personal preferences vary greatly in watches.

brosnan6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
+1 on the Rolex. I got a Yachtmaster when I graduated from law school, which is very nice as well - have you considered one? It's got a white dial as well and IMHO the cleaner look is slightly nicer than the daytona. Unless you really need the chrono function though...?
You know, I don't need the chrono function and I am definitely a fan of the Rolesium Yachtmaster....I'll need to look into that cause I forgot about it!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I believe the MSRP is something like $6800. As for the waiting list, it's very difficult to do so -- you basically have to buy a lot of stuff from the jeweler in question.

$9200 retail for the Daytona.

I hadn't realized they'd gotten so high.
You'd probably be able to sell it for more than $10K, but still not for double.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Daytona is by far the most overpriced chronograph ever made, when they were sourcing Zenith el primero movements to the day they start in-house production movements. You can easily get a rattrapante chronograph for the price of a Daytona these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads