• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hermes apologizes to Oprah

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a load of horse crap.  I don't care what store it is when you show up fifteen minutes after closing.....you're screwed.  How does this become a race thing ??????
Whatever happened to common sense ??
Agreed.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a load of horse crap.  I don't care what store it is when you show up fifteen minutes after closing.....you're screwed.  How does this become a race thing ??????
Whatever happened to common sense ??
The way I heard it she was there well within opening hours. The thing that she showed up after closing time was a statement by Hermes.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone look to the left. Satan.

bryce330

Reaction score
(Cliff @ June 23 2005,21:05) What a load of horse crap. Â I don't care what store it is when you show up fifteen minutes after closing.....you're screwed. Â How does this become a race thing ?????? Whatever happened to common sense ??
The way I heard it she was there well within opening hours. The thing that she showed up after closing time was a statement by Hermes.
Well apparently there was surveillance video supporting Hermes' story (at least as to whether she was there before or after the store closed). I suspect the "North African" comment is also not true.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Cliff @ June 23 2005,21:05) What a load of horse crap. I don't care what store it is when you show up fifteen minutes after closing.....you're screwed. How does this become a race thing ?????? Whatever happened to common sense ??
the story on cnn.com is that hermes was closed for a PR event.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Here are some facts about the incident. She was there after closing and there was nothing about "North Africans." Both sides tell their own versions, of course, and Oprah's still hints at racism (but it was subtle, ya know).
People have argued that no matter what was going on inside the store, no matter what time it was, Winfrey -- the billionaire with millions of devoted fans who ask "How high?" when she says "Jump" -- should have been allowed to shop. It certainly would have been beneficial for the Hermes bottom line. But after-hours shopping is a favor, a perk. Not a right. There's nothing wrong with a store saying not tonight, madame, as long as the reason doesn't have anything to do with skin color. It's okay to say no to a celebrity, even when her name is Oprah.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oprah = Hermesless

You like it the Hermeslessness?

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"A spokeswoman at Winfrey's Harpo Productions confirmed the Daily News version of the story, saying that the incident was "Oprah's 'Crash' moment" -- a reference to the film in which racism unfolds in complex, subtle and surprising interactions. Winfrey also contacted Hermes' U.S. president to inform him of the incident. She plans to tell the story on her show when it returns from hiatus in September."

I'm telling you guys, Hermes is doomed in the US as of September. If Oprah starts crying and has Dr. Phil holding her hand through it all . . . the woman can act, you know. I think she won an oscar for Color Purple.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to say, Hermes refusing Oprah's after hours moolah, so long as it wasn't because of the color of her skin (and I haven't read any of the coverage and wasn't there, so I wouldn't know) makes me want to shop at Hermes MORE. Oprah makes my skin crawl.

alchimiste

Reaction score
Are all stars into blackmail? "Open just for me and give me free stuff or I'll trash you on my show."

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The emotion attached to these "newsworthy" moments is far too fleeting even for the Opra-nater.

Besides, no one who would shop at Hermes probably cares. Those that do likely equate to the new customers they'll make due to the exposure in the media.

OK, OK, I don't believe any of this. It's Friday. I'm gonna see you guys later; I need a Hermes leather apple fob for my keys.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'm gonna see you guys later; I need a Hermes leather apple fob for my keys.
Make sure you get there before closing.

Cliff

Reaction score
I'm telling you guys, Hermes is doomed in the US as of September. If Oprah starts crying and has Dr. Phil holding her hand through it all . . .  the woman can act, you know. I think she won an oscar for Color Purple.
Not if Hermes counteracts first with Jesse Jackson .

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'm telling you guys, Hermes is doomed in the US as of September. If Oprah starts crying and has Dr. Phil holding her hand through it all . . .  the woman can act, you know. I think she won an oscar for Color Purple.
If it's not until September, Oprah is therefore able to allow weeks for Hermes to make it up to her. They'll have everything ironed out by then. She may even have her own Hermes scent: Eau d'O.

Then there'll be the episode where everyone in the studio audience gets a Birkin bag...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads