• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herbs & Spices

XeF4

Reaction score
Novice cook here.

What herbs and spices should be in every cabinet? Are the cheap ones good enough or should I buy all those $6 McCormick ones?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got one of these f*ckers from Costco. BAM!
img_5105.jpg
I do have real cloves lying around but I find the flavour on this stuff is still very good.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the types of food you like.

Personally, I use a lot of cumin, allspice, black pepper, white pepper, dill, oregano, coriander, basil (fresh is so much better), rosemary, sage, thyme, and cinnamon.

I occasionally use saffron, turmeric, nutmeg, chervil, and fennel seed. Even more rarely, I use vanilla.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course Salt and Pepper.
A really good vinegar.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basil
Black pepper
Cayenne pepper
Chili pepper, dried
Cilantro/Coriander seeds
Cinnamon, ground
Cloves
Cumin seeds
Dill
Ginger
Mustard seeds
Oregano
Parsley
Peppermint
Rosemary
Sage
Thyme
Turmeric

For starters..

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kas's list is solid. Some good suggestions here overall. I note paprika is a glaring ommission from all of these lists though.

I am a little less inclined to go with most of the herbs. I find most dried parsley, oregano, coriander, sage, etc. pretty disgusting and I'd much rather go with the fresh herb, unless I'm doing some kind of BBQ rub. Especially dried parsley. Ugh. I have no idea what I'd use that for.

Saffron is an awesome one - I find that it can be used almost by itself to flavor milder meats like chicken and fish. Because most people don't think to cook with it, and its flavor is deep and complex, people will think you're some kind of chef without you having to do much.

Oh, and, invest in a good pepper grinder with a ceramic grinding element and always use whole peppercorns. That pre-ground stuff is unconscionable.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, fresh is always better. And you also have to consider how you cook, if you often make stews - cloves and bay leaves will do you much more good than chili pepper.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Oh, and, invest in a good pepper grinder with a ceramic grinding element and always use whole peppercorns. That pre-ground stuff is unconscionable.

Even better is to buy just the whole peppercorns. When you're going to use them, toss 5 or 6 peppercorns onto the stove in a dry pan. Let them cook for a minute or so until they start to crackle and the smell is really strong. This gets all the oils released better than just cracking them. Then chop them up.
It's not convenient, but you get a really beautiful, strong, peppery flavor from them that way. It's insane. I bet I use 50% less pepper now beacuse this is so strong.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Even better is to buy just the whole peppercorns. When you're going to use them, toss 5 or 6 peppercorns onto the stove in a dry pan. Let them cook for a minute or so until they start to crackle and the smell is really strong. This gets all the oils released better than just cracking them. Then chop them up.
It's not convenient, but you get a really beautiful, strong, peppery flavor from them that way. It's insane. I bet I use 50% less pepper now beacuse this is so strong.

Sounds interesting, but... chop them up? Can I just crush them with the back of a pan? Seems like trying to chop them they'd be squirting all over the kitchen.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, but... chop them up? Can I just crush them with the back of a pan? Seems like trying to chop them they'd be squirting all over the kitchen.

Chop em, squish em, grind em. Whatever it takes to get them into regular flake size.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Use the knife's grind; instead of holding it vertically to cut, use it horizontally to crush the pepper. You'll need a decent sized chef's knife for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads