• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Needed Choosing Chelsea Boot

cwh5552

Reaction score
Hello Styleforum Fam!

This is my first post here (so I hope I posted in the correct spot)... but I've been back and forth trying to find a great classic black chelsea boot that can go with just about anything. Right now, I am between three brands:

Top Tier ($800+): Saint Laurent Wyatt Chelsea Boots 30mm

1666569180377.png

Middle Tier ($300-$500): To Boot New York (Myles) and Scarosso's Eric Black Chelsea Boot (Prada Brushed calf alternative?)

To Boot Myles:

1666569061648.png

Scarosso:
1666569108572.png

A few characteristics of a boot I am keeping in mind are (the last, welt, and quality of leather). If I have to spend more to get a better quality boot that I'll have for longer, I am more than willing to.

For reference, I have a size 11.5 D foot.

Does anyone have any experiences owning or read reviews on the above boots and have feedback? I am also open to other brands that fit a similar look to the boots I've mentioned.

Thank you so much!

Connor

Attachments

• 1666569050532.png
    1666569050532.png
    538 KB · Views: 25

big_sky_1830

Reaction score
I'm going to piggyback on this thread and ask: what use for a black Chelsea boot? I'm enamored with the EG Camden in black Utah but haven't pulled the trigger because I'm not sure what I'd wear it with. I've looked at the model with thin rubber soles to pair with trousers at work, and then the more rugged model with Danite soles but haven't made up my mind about the "chunky" Chelsea look. I tend to wear dress pants to work, and jeans around town. Climate is southeastern US, so fairly warm and sunny most of the year.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Styleforum Fam!

This is my first post here (so I hope I posted in the correct spot)... but I've been back and forth trying to find a great classic black chelsea boot that can go with just about anything. Right now, I am between three brands:

Top Tier ($800+): Saint Laurent Wyatt Chelsea Boots 30mm

View attachment 1847928

Middle Tier ($300-$500): To Boot New York (Myles) and Scarosso's Eric Black Chelsea Boot (Prada Brushed calf alternative?)

To Boot Myles:

View attachment 1847926

Scarosso:
View attachment 1847927

A few characteristics of a boot I am keeping in mind are (the last, welt, and quality of leather). If I have to spend more to get a better quality boot that I'll have for longer, I am more than willing to.

For reference, I have a size 11.5 D foot.

Does anyone have any experiences owning or read reviews on the above boots and have feedback? I am also open to other brands that fit a similar look to the boots I've mentioned.

Thank you so much!

Connor

I would recommend not going with YSL or To Boot NY. YSL is a luxury brand that doesn't do much in terms of quality shoes and their name is why they can charge Edward Green level prices without having Edward Green level quality.

Likewise, To Boot NY is not especially that great.

My suggestion would be:

Good quality/price: https://www.allenedmonds.com/mens-shoes/boots/chelsea?icid=TopNav_Boots_Chelsea

Higher quality/price: https://us.crockettandjones.com/collections/mens-chelsea-boot-collection

Highest quality/price: https://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/newmarket-black-calf-black-82-last.html

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to piggyback on this thread and ask: what use for a black Chelsea boot? I'm enamored with the EG Camden in black Utah but haven't pulled the trigger because I'm not sure what I'd wear it with. I've looked at the model with thin rubber soles to pair with trousers at work, and then the more rugged model with Danite soles but haven't made up my mind about the "chunky" Chelsea look. I tend to wear dress pants to work, and jeans around town. Climate is southeastern US, so fairly warm and sunny most of the year.

I mean, depending on the chelsea boot, a black chelsea boot could be worn with a suit as it is a plain toe, relatively formal dress style. I'd probably avoid pairing a black, smooth leather, dressy chelsea with jeans. I'd also probably think of it as a night time shoe, something you'd wear going out on the town. So if you have outfits you wear to go have cocktails or go a night club, I think the Chelsea is good for that.

big_sky_1830

Reaction score
Any view on the "chunky" Chelsea, e.g. the EG Camden or Newmarket with ridgeway soles? I can't make up my mind on those. I feel like the Chelsea boot was supposed to be sleek and flexible (can be dressed up or down), and when you pair it with a chunky sole it is no longer a Chelsea but a sort of country boot.

cwh5552

Reaction score
I would recommend not going with YSL or To Boot NY. YSL is a luxury brand that doesn't do much in terms of quality shoes and their name is why they can charge Edward Green level prices without having Edward Green level quality.

Likewise, To Boot NY is not especially that great.

My suggestion would be:

Good quality/price: https://www.allenedmonds.com/mens-shoes/boots/chelsea?icid=TopNav_Boots_Chelsea

Higher quality/price: https://us.crockettandjones.com/collections/mens-chelsea-boot-collection

Highest quality/price: https://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/newmarket-black-calf-black-82-last.html

Awesome feedback! What about Carmina? They seem like a reasonably priced boot for the quality. Maybe a good one to start with?

sash1642

Reaction score
Whatever Chelsea boot you go for, please, please, please dont roll up your trousers to expose the ring pulls or even just the elastic sides. This is the worst looking affectation of the last decade IMO. For my part, I can recommend RM Williams as I've had mine for nearly 20 years, chocolate suede they still look amazing and Goodyear welted Ive had 2 full resoles. Somehow the suede gets wet, muddy, whatever, I can wash off with water and brush and they look fantastic again. As far as quality, even the Edward greens you have linked above are not made from a single leather piece as RMs are - say no more.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome feedback! What about Carmina? They seem like a reasonably priced boot for the quality. Maybe a good one to start with?

Carmina is good. I'm more of an American and British shoe guy, though.

Maturin

Reaction score
Carmina is an exceptional value when you consider the quality of construction. Grant Stone is likely the most affordable quality boot in any design. I mean, it's just remarkable how good GS is across the board. I have Chelseas from GS in natural CXL that I love aplenty. Also RM Willians is always a good choice, and there are a million choices so look carefully at the design details. My favorite Chelseas are Edward Green but costly.

BuffaloTom

Reaction score
Carmina is an exceptional value when you consider the quality of construction. Grant Stone is likely the most affordable quality boot in any design. I mean, it's just remarkable how good GS is across the board. I have Chelseas from GS in natural CXL that I love aplenty. Also RM Willians is always a good choice, and there are a million choices so look carefully at the design details. My favorite Chelseas are Edward Green but costly.

I've got Grant Stone Chelseas in tan suede and crimson cxl. By far the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned. I'm buying the black calf Chelseas in about a month.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I have EG Newmarket in black calf on 82 last with single leather sole. I like sleek black chelsea boots, not the chunky ones, I think for chunkier and non-black style of footwear the chukka boots work better.

I wear mine with denim jeans (dark indigo or ecru white) or charcoal flannel trousers combined with t-shirts / casual shirts and either with olive green field jacket or black leather jacket. Sometimes I wear them with navy sport jacket and grey odd trousers combo or with navy suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads