• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! My bespoke suit is too baggy :(

StumpjumperE

Reaction score
Yep, I'm Ah-muhr-kun. :)

I have tried on some suits in Banana that I thought looked really nice... sometimes it seems the quality is hit or miss with them-- but maybe that's true of all of the brands at this price point.

Are there places like Macys, Dillards, Nordstroms, etc in Canada? Most all of the decent dept stores carry the same brands (CK, Hugo Boss, Tommy, Aboud, Kenneth Cole etc). Honestly, I think if you go in there and DON'T LISTEN TO THE SALES ASSOCIATE, you can probably pick out something that will fit you nicely. The sales reps will almost always try to fit you large (I have no idea why... maybe they get a better commission on larger suits??? WTF??) Anyway, trust your eyes, maybe take your fiance or a friend with you.

You'll pretty much always have to tailor, so don't worry if the pants need to be taken in, let out, the sleeves are a little long, etc. Just factor that in to the cost.

I've bought a couple of very low-cost suits (both less than 4 bills) from Macys that honestly I think came out looking pretty nice on me with some tailoring--especially considering I'm sort of short and stocky. I just really think there's not much hope for the suit you ordered--maybe I'm wrong (and hope I am).

Good luck again!! -Eric

palmtree8

Reaction score
OP, go to Tom's Place at Kensington Market to get your backup suit.

As a matter of fact I already have a morning suit, made in the country where I will be getting married.....I know it's not the best looking suit either, but I believe it's better than the one that I showed in the very first post of this thread, which if the tailor screwed up, perhaps I'll wear the morning suit for the whole day...

My pants may seem a bit low, because I forgot to wear a belt in the pic.......

Thoughts guys? (These 2 are the only pics I have of the morning suit):

Butler

Reaction score

As a matter of fact I already have a morning suit, made in the country where I will be getting married.....I know it's not the best looking suit either, but I believe it's better than the one that I showed in the very first post of this thread, which if the tailor screwed up, perhaps I'll wear the morning suit for the whole day...

Sorry, that's not a Morning Suit- it is a normal lounge suit! :bigstar:

Saltricks

Reaction score
pants can't be that low, they are starting to break and pool already. But yeah, not really a morning suit, it actually reminds me of something out of a hong kong cop thriller or something. Been playing too much Sleeping Dogs I guess.

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I got a bespoke suit made last month, and I got it today.

I've got to say that it's too snug/baggy for my taste. Here are some pics, and I am sure you guys will probably agree that everything has to be heavily altered? I am 511", 170 lbs, and the suit makes me look fatter than I really am...!

You should buy your suits off the peg and not bother with this cheap mail order
"bespoke" junk. Try on different brands and cuts until you find one that fits fairly well. And you're only going to waste money trying to alter that. Give it to goodwill and start over.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If by morning suit, you mean you woke up in the morning wearing it after the crazy night you had at the discotheque.

The suit is salvageable, but you will not get the fashion-suit fit you're looking for. The issue is that you tried to do MTM/bespoke for the first time not too far from your wedding date. With overseas tailoring there will always be issues.

But don't fret, you'll be experienced to avoid these problems for your next wedding. Just kidding. Best of luck.

Last edited:

palmtree8

Reaction score
Sorry, that's not a Morning Suit- it is a normal lounge suit!
bigstar[1].gif

Whoops! Sorry for the confusion....when I said "morning suit", I didn't mean the actual morning suit (that has a tail). I used the term "morning suit" just because the cathedral event will be at 11:30 in the morning, which is when I will be wearing the suit.......hence the term "morning suit", albeit not an actual morning suit (which I don't even really like :p)

palmtree8

Reaction score
Are there places like Macys, Dillards, Nordstroms, etc in Canada? Most all of the decent dept stores carry the same brands (CK, Hugo Boss, Tommy, Aboud, Kenneth Cole etc).

No........except Nordstrom, which I heard is trying to expand to Canada, but I don't know what's happening with that plan at the moment.......

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not in a bedroom......but a meeting room, probably around 8 metres x 8 metres. The suit company owners are a bunch of really tall caucasians (almost 200 cm / 6'7") wearing surprisingly really good suits, especially the guy who's been taking care of my account. The HK based tailor though, is in fact not Chinese.

No they're not contactable via Hotmail or any of those free email services...they have their own domain name. Like I said before, they're very professional.....even the packaging in which my suit came, looks really high class, custom made for their company, with their own logo, care instructions, etc. Even the free alteration voucher that he emailed me looks very professional. These guys have been professional, friendly, and helpful so far.........

Up till this point, the suit is the only thing that I'm not happy with.......which is bad, I know, I know.....because all of the other things don't matter if the final product (which we pay for) is not good =/

It basically amounts to the same thing as I posted earlier, it's just that their presentation seems to be a bit more polished. The bedroom is a hotel meeting room, and their email is to their own domain name and not a free one. Which is something that's very easy to do. Have they told you of an actual Hong Kong address where their "tailor" is, and not just a PO Box number? You still got a rather ill-fitting suit, probably of mediocre or poor quality, which will have almost definately come from a Mainland Chinese factory/sweat shop, NOT Hong Kong SAR. Nice looking packaging, tags, logos, are easily done as well.

I bet if you took an investigative TV crew along with you, they woudn''t be quite so helpful or professional. The good looking suits they're wearing most likely did not come from the same place as the ones they're selling either, that's for sure.

This happens in the UK as well, although we've had a few posts about this sort of thing happening in Canada recently. Does the name "Executive Custom Tailors" ring any bells?

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

O god, that is just hideous

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

O god, that is just hideous

To be perfectly frank, it looks like the shiny RTW polyester rag-bag efforts they sell here in China for about 300-500RMB($50-$70 USD). That the peasantry usually wears for weddings or Spring Festival.

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
the reason you are getting your nuts stomped on here is because you called it bespoke, which its not (not even close). fairly touchy subject around here.
This is a Made to measure suit, and somebody quite frankly fucked the measurements up, especially if you wanted it to look like those pictured.
All is not lost however. The company should be able to fix it in the 2 month timeframe.

This post eliminated the need for me to say something, however, I need to post to say that!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads