• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me look good in dad's suit from the 80's(pics)

poelow

Reaction score
In looking around in my dad's closet today, I discovered a gray suit that I've never seen him wear. Giving it a try, it actually (for you to decide) fit me. It obviously doesn't fit him anymore, so he said I could have it.

The suit, as you can see in attached pictures, is some sort of grey pattern with subtle green, blue, yellow and maybe even purple stripes in the fabric. I'm wearing a white shirt and a paisley tie he probably would have worn in the same era.

My questions are:
1. Could this suit be worn without looking dated or ridiculous? Appropriate for business or interviews? Or maybe just best left to nice Sunday brunches?
2. What colors and patterns would you recommend for shirts and ties to go with this suit? Also, what is the suit pattern called?
3. Just from these pictures, does it look like it fits me well- where might it need to be tailored?

Thank you- I would really appreciate input and advice.

Ryan

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit looks really good. I've done that many times with my dad's clothes. Ha ha.

Did you ask him if suit was custom or made to order?

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves - hard to say w/out hands at sides but looks like they're OK.
Waist - again hard to say but maybe could be brought in a bit. Overall the jacket looks big to me.
Pants - look pretty baggy and like they probably need to be shortened due to serious breakage.

The large checks and wide lapels feel a little dated to me but it's not horrid. I'd say this isn't a great suit for a young man but you wouldn't embarrass yourself wearing it. Something trimmer would be more appealing.

Reaction score
It's definitely a little odd, but that's half the fun of inherited clothing.

Also, go with a wider tie to balance out those lapels.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That looks nice. I agree that the coat is probably a touch big...the chest seems to have just a bit too much fabric on the front.

Originally Posted by Philadelph
Looks like the pants need to be taken in.

How can you tell?

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
I'd nip the jacket waist in a little for a bit more shape. From what I see, the sleeves look okay. Maybe the obligatory attention to pay to the trouser waist and length. Other than that, I think its a fun suit, especially for the coming spring!

poelow

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback and replies. It has given me confidence to wear this suit next time I have a good excuse (not often). Good suggestion on the wider tie jonny. As far as the fit goes, I may have a tailor look at it to see what could be done to better shape my figure... i agree the waist doesnt have much shape, and the pants may be a little baggy.

I was wondering however, what color shirts and ties might the forum recommend for this grey color. I was thinking pink, or maybe a blue? I'm not a big fan of white shirts and would prefer something "fun" for this suit...what tie patterns and colors would complement the texture and highlights in the suit?

Coho- he bought the suit from a local store off the rack and had it tailored to him.

Thanks!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others stated, there's details you can nitpick at, but for a suit that you just tried on and was your dad's 20 some years ago it looks pretty good. The wide lapels do date it some, but not as badly as if it were to have really low gorges...those are the worst IMO.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, it really is an 80's suit. There were probably a few million of those sold from Nordstrom alone. You sure got the 1985 look right with the shirt and tie.

If you want to wear it, I think a white shirt is best. Find a new tie however.

To me, the suit has an 80's cut. Don't expect it to look like a current suit after having it altered. But, it looks OK. If you really want to dress to impress, for an interview or important meeting you might want to consider a nice fitting, current suit in navy or charcoal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads