• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose SR Tailors, I like slim suits (TF, BB)

Barons

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been looking at the different houses, I own a TF, BB and a G&H M2M I would like your advice.

I do want a little bit of a fashion leaning, the suit needs to fit well and to me the drape style does not give that look.

I was going to use Richard James but dealing with their non bespoke store was not a particularly pleasant experience.

I am looking to buy Bespoke and mix in with M2M or altered Off the peg, primarily from BB or TF but if the house also does off the peg or M2M that would be a bonus.

I would be very grateful to hear your recommendations.

I am 6ft, slim (36in chest).

I wasn't overly happy with the cut of the m2m G&H.

Thanks for any advice/help.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been looking at the different houses, I own a TF, BB and a G&H M2M I would like your advice.

I do want a little bit of a fashion leaning, the suit needs to fit well and to me the drape style does not give that look.

I was going to use Richard James but dealing with their non bespoke store was not a particularly pleasant experience.

I am looking to buy Bespoke and mix in with M2M or altered Off the peg, primarily from BB or TF but if the house also does off the peg or M2M that would be a bonus.

I would be very grateful to hear your recommendations.

I am 6ft, slim (36in chest).

I wasn't overly happy with the cut of the m2m G&H.

Thanks for any advice/help.

Steed Bespoke.

You won't go wrong. They are top notch.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edward Sexton, no doubt.

Especially if you want a fashionable tailor, not a fashion stylist.

Barons

Reaction score
Thom Sweeney is a good call but I was looking for a more established SR house that can be a little bit flexible with their clients desires.

I want somewhere for 20 years..

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would seam that you are setting yourself up to fail if you expect the old SR guard to make you a fashion-forward suit. If you don't like the drape cut, you are contradicting yourself by insisting on a long established SR tailor. Maybe the correct question is, if you are looking for fashion forward, why Savile Row?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thom Sweeney is a good call but I was looking for a more established SR house that can be a little bit flexible with their clients desires.

I want somewhere for 20 years..

It would seam that you are setting yourself up to fail if you expect the old SR guard to make you a fashion-forward suit. If you don't like the drape cut, you are contradicting yourself by insisting on a long established SR tailor. Maybe the correct question is, if you are looking for fashion forward, why Savile Row?

I concur this wont end well. Study a house style and pick a styling that you can see yourself wearing.

Barons

Reaction score
Wise comments but I don't think expecting it to be tweaked to a clients tastes (we are talking narrower Trousers as an example) as being incompatible to Savile Row.

What I'm asking is who you would chose, What House style will be closer to this than others.

Perhaps I am wrong in dismissing the drape style, it is more that I prefer a more fitted look.

Many of the SR Tailors produce these kind of suits, I've seen them. A&S being one.

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wise comments but I don't think expecting it to be tweaked to a clients tastes (we are talking narrower Trousers as an example) as being incompatible to Savile Row.

What I'm asking is who you would chose, What House style will be closer to this than others.

Perhaps I am wrong in dismissing the drape style, it is more that I prefer a more fitted look.

Many of the SR Tailors produce these kind of suits, I've seen them. A&S being one.

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

This is Thom Sweeney and is about as good as it gets. If you are interested in a house with years of experience I would check out Henry Poole. They made a suit for David Gandy that was close fitting. In all honesty there just aren't that many pictures that are circulating the web. And the majority of the posters on this forum aren't using the other big name saville row tailors.

Barons

Reaction score
Thanks lordsuperb, genuinely helpful.

I've been into to Henry Poole and they are top of my list.

If you think that SR tailors won't "compromise" house style or certain aspects then you must be pretty naive about who is paying the £4k plus for a suit.

I'm not suggesting they will be like TF suits but the general point of a bespoke suit is that it's tailored to you.

I've spoken with a number of them and every single one so far has been very happy to do the above.

It's about establishing a relationship with them over time, which is what I want to do and get some beautiful bespoke suits!

nmoore82

Reaction score

What do you mean by this - were the staff in the Savile Row shop rude or something??
I've been contemplating visiting RJ for a MTM.

Barons

Reaction score
They were not rude, just entirely unhelpful.

There is a gulf in service between their bespoke store & Off the Peg.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads