• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Birthday!!!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
eh.gif
45 is stalking me like I'm the ***** in The Ring #3.

LMAO

Hanseat

Reaction score
May 10th is a great day for a birthday-

they burned books, a tad too late for being VE-Day and the the Nazi-'union' was set up...

I know because I share the birtday- fancy way of saying so.
lookaround.gif

And I got really hammered yesterday night, as that was when everyone was doen with their exams as well- I think I had more champagne than water in the last two days... Didn't seem like such a smart idea this morning (afternoon rather and until now), but you know how these things work.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hanseat
May 10th is a great day for a birthday-

they burned books, a tad too late for being VE-Day and the the Nazi-'union' was set up...

I know because I share the birtday- fancy way of saying so.
lookaround.gif

And I got really hammered yesterday night, as that was when everyone was doen with their exams as well- I think I had more champagne than water in the last two days... Didn't seem like such a smart idea this morning (afternoon rather and until now), but you know how these things work.

Are you in one of those duelling fraternities?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
So will you have your butterflies on that day?
Is that some weird Zemblan custom?

Hanseat

Reaction score
No way, I'd go into a schlagende Studentenverbindung though they are full with Lawstudents like myself and are around the traditional universities in the south (I'll be going to Freiburg University, which has the reputation as being the best university in humanities in Germany and an excellent renomee in law- plus plenty of attractive female med-students, a lot of sun, great food and beer/ wine, snow in the winter and all that).

I'm currently considering joining a more liberal fraternity for the cheap living, plus it's very hard to find apartments in those towns but also for living in a 'community' of interesting people [kind of boring being around only law- and business-students though- but I don't like the 'we will take care of these kids together'-apartment-sharing communities either] that you will meet for the rest of your life once a year as a big 'family' of all former members.

It is a real misconception many people have about studentenverbindungen in Germany though that they are all right-wing (that's moreso the case in Austria- let's just say this 'dude' was austrian and they should have expelled him from the country after the Kapp-Putsch in 1923, but I'll stop there).
There are fraternities that have black members, members of turkish heritage and so on- most are just big communites that want to preserve some traditions (like rowing, binge-drinking, dancing lessons, cocktail-parties, proper attire and manners).
Only a small fraction of those frats actually still duells and they wear heavy protective gear during that (only your cheek can be cut, which is the case with about 1/5 of all those who did their, usually 5, duells). You want to watch out not to be messing with the guys from the Deutsche Burschenschaft though- these are the guys that gave the fraterniteis the bad reputation.

If you think I made those little references to Nazi history because I'm a right-wing nut; I'm not (member of the liberal FDP since I was 16). It's just that a) not many other intesting things happended (the plastic yogurt cup was introduced in Germany on a 10 may...) and b) I just a had a history exam (see the memers pictures).
----

That got me thinking I need a Barbour jacket to check another item off the 'every law-stuent has to have a- list'.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...like rowing, binge-drinking, dancing lessons, cocktail-parties, proper attire and manners
Sounds like a group several of us might want to join!

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Sounds like a group several of us might want to join!
No offense, but as far as I know the verbindungen, whether they're schlagende or not, they're much like US college fraternities, only more cultured and civilised. It's German Trad, in the best sense. (I think the Nazis actually ended up banning them for being less than cooperative, btw.) Edit: And Happy Birthday, Hanseat!

Hanseat

Reaction score
They were banned mostly for being bastions of democracy (that's why historically duelling was so important- very few people were allowed to cary weaposn back in the day of feudalism; most verbindungen were created after 1848 in a wave of revolution going thought he country- didn't really work out though but in the first german parliament in the Paulschurch in Frankfurt soemthing like 1/3 of all members were active students in the 'verbindungen'). In short: the verbindungen were outposts of liberalism (with varying degrees, of course). I'll have to check them out first though- you're not a member of them for the first year, only then they decide about your 'future' in the frat...

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were banned mostly for being bastions of democracy (that's why historically duelling was so important- very few people were allowed to cary weaposn back in the day of feudalism; most verbindungen were created after 1848 in a wave of revolution going thought he country- didn't really work out though but in the first german parliament in the Paulschurch in Frankfurt soemthing like 1/3 of all members were active students in the 'verbindungen'). In short: the verbindungen were outposts of liberalism (with varying degrees, of course). I'll have to check them out first though- you're not a member of them for the first year, only then they decide about your 'future' in the frat...

Any of them linked to the Edelweißpiraten?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Umm, no pirates to go with it, but happy birthday Stuttjukken! Hope the bus is treating you well.
Best
Tom

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Happy Birthday operation expat! I'm not sure what tiger meant but if it's nice and only mildly suggestive I second his wishes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads