• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

good corduroy?

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of slightly too short Costume National dark green cords that have an ultra-thin wale and feel like sex. I'm not really sure what to do with them, as they are indeed a bit too short now that I think of it...
frown.gif

...Cord manpris?!
teacha.gif
crackup[1].gif

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of cordoroy and we usually carry a terrific collection of all types of wale. The very best we carry is made by Hertling Trousers of fabric milled by DeBall. This cordoroy has a cashmere like hand and is available in eight and ten wale. We also make the ten wale horizontally.

Gary

tgfny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
I am a huge fan of cordoroy and we usually carry a terrific collection of all types of wale. The very best we carry is made by Hertling Trousers of fabric milled by DeBall. This cordoroy has a cashmere like hand and is available in eight and ten wale. We also make the ten wale horizontally. Gary
Julie's a great guy and has probably forgotten more about trousers than this board knows. As far as fine waled cords. Got some Seven's cord jeans last season that I love.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of cordoroy and we usually carry a terrific collection of all types of wale. The very best we carry is made by Hertling Trousers of fabric milled by DeBall. This cordoroy has a cashmere like hand and is available in eight and ten wale. We also make the ten wale horizontally. Gary
Gary, do you carry horizontal or even better, waffle, corduroy _shirts_? I've only seen one source and the shirts are cheaply made, so I'm searching around. I enjoy textured clothing of all kinds and rarely see anything in horizontal corduroy. Since I'm tall and thin, horizontal or waffle corduroy, analogous to stripes or checks, are more flattering to me than vertical stripes or corduroy. I also like clothing that has a unique twist, hence my search for waffle corduroy shirts.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
STP. i've got two pairs of thin wale cords from Barry Bricken. they're great. my only gripe is that they're hard to iron.

-Jeff

How do Barry Bricken fit compared to Zanella or Incotex?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Rimby
How do Barry Bricken fit compared to Zanella or Incotex?

couldn't tell you there. but the BBs that i've got are definitely more of a classic fit. waist is true to size. relatively roomy in the butt and thighs with a medium rise. straight legs. as you would expect the flat fronts are a little more fitted than the pleated ones. cuffs are unhemmed so it's up to you there how you want the fit. really for the price, i don't think these BBs can be beat.

-Jeff

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of cordoroy and we usually carry a terrific collection of all types of wale. The very best we carry is made by Hertling Trousers of fabric milled by DeBall. This cordoroy has a cashmere like hand and is available in eight and ten wale. We also make the ten wale horizontally.

Gary
I'm going to stop by next time I am in Boston.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgfny
Julie's a great guy and has probably forgotten more about trousers than this board knows.

As far as fine waled cords. Got some Seven's cord jeans last season that I love.

I have sold clothing for a long time and have sold the best. Nobody puts more into the make of their trousers than Julie Hertling.

Best Regards,

Gary

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In general, English corduroy clothing has the nap running up (colour is richer) while Italian garments have the nap running down.

Exception is Ralph Lauren, who seems to specify nap running up (regardless of country of production).

What do forum members prefer, nap running up or down.

Nap refers to the raised pile made during the weaving process - threads that stand up from the surface. Nap runs in one direction, reflecting light differently.
You can feel the nap by running your hand across the fabric-if it feels smooth and the pile lies flat it's with the nap, if it "stands up" and feels rougher it's against the nap.
Taken from: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Fabric/Nap.htm

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
I have a pair of slightly too short Costume National dark green cords that have an ultra-thin wale and feel like sex. I'm not really sure what to do with them...
frown.gif

Keep them for those cold, lonely nights?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe

What do forum members prefer, nap running up or down.

Down. Corduroy just seems to have a silkier hand when the nap runs down. And, a finer look as well.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
In general, English corduroy clothing has the nap running up (colour is richer) while Italian garments have the nap running down. Exception is Ralph Lauren, who seems to specify nap running up (regardless of country of production). What do forum members prefer, nap running up or down. Taken from: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Fabric/Nap.htm
I'm like the nap running down. What I really hate (and used to see more 20-25 years ago - when I had less money and was shopping at Miller's Outpost) was the nap running up on one side (front) and down the other (back). It look like they folded over the fabric to cut the legs which would get the nap running in both direction.

tgfny

Reaction score
I have sold clothing for a long time and have sold the best. Nobody puts more into the make of their trousers than Julie Hertling.

Best Regards,

Gary

Agreed, and the guy does a heck of a two martini lunch.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Gary, do you carry horizontal or even better, waffle, corduroy _shirts_? I've only seen one source and the shirts are cheaply made, so I'm searching around.

I enjoy textured clothing of all kinds and rarely see anything in horizontal corduroy. Since I'm tall and thin, horizontal or waffle corduroy, analogous to stripes or checks, are more flattering to me than vertical stripes or corduroy. I also like clothing that has a unique twist, hence my search for waffle corduroy shirts.

cordarounds.com !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads