• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good chinese bakery in Chicago?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once in Vancouver I had an absolutely delicious BBQ pork bun. Everything after that was a let down. Anything from ****** to neon pink color inside. Just awful. I have found decent egg custard, curry, wang mandu, chinese sausage etc... but I want a great char siu bau.

I did get a few nice things at a bakery in Argyle which was sort of vietnamese/french, but most of the places in Chinatown suck... old and new. Except for this one place which makes these little mochi balls with peanut in them which are RIDICULOUS.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Was the place on Argyle La Patisserie P? If so, I agree that it is a damn fine place. One of my favorite places for pastry in the city, although I don't eat sweets very often. I haven't found anything great in Chinatown. Ron, Globe, and I went to a place after eating at one of the Lao restaurants that had good stuff, but I can't for the life of me recall its name.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Once in Vancouver I had an absolutely delicious BBQ pork bun. Everything after that was a let down. Anything from ****** to neon pink color inside. Just awful. I have found decent egg custard, curry, wang mandu, chinese sausage etc... but I want a great char siu bau.

I did get a few nice things at a bakery in Argyle which was sort of vietnamese/french, but most of the places in Chinatown suck... old and new. Except for this one place which makes these little mochi balls with peanut in them which are RIDICULOUS.

I'm not from Chicago, but it seems like the problem is that you're going to the wrong places to find another delicious BBQ pork buns if you're trying to find them at Chinese bakeries or pastry shops. That's something that you should trying looking for in dim sum place or something like that.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's too bad there are none of those in China, we could use bakeries that aren't full of nauseating ****.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Was the place on Argyle La Patisserie P? If so, I agree that it is a damn fine place. One of my favorite places for pastry in the city, although I don't eat sweets very often. I haven't found anything great in Chinatown. Ron, Globe, and I went to a place after eating at one of the Lao restaurants that had good stuff, but I can't for the life of me recall its name.

Yes that's exactly it. Went to this other place and bought half a dozen wang mandu, open it upon and it's like a quarter inch of filling surrounded by 2 inches of sweet pastry. Only ever going to the french place again.

RE: dim sum... the dim sum I've had in Chicago is pretty bad. I went to the two main places in China town and most of it was disappointing.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kyle have you tried Ba leh yet?

Very respectable sandwich and some delicious other pork dishes for like $3. Very clean, new... love it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Kyle have you tried Ba leh yet?

Very respectable sandwich and some delicious other pork dishes for like $3. Very clean, new... love it.

Nope, haven't been. I just had dinner with Ron the other day and I think he told me it was his favorite banh mi in Chicago. I had planned on making it up there tomorrow for lunch.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, haven't been. I just had dinner with Ron the other day and I think he told me it was his favorite banh mi in Chicago. I had planned on making it up there tomorrow for lunch.

Good idea. They have delicious custard and strawberry tarts as well.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Nice. Got 2 #1 specials, one for tonight, one for breakfast before work tomorrow, and a drink. Only cost me $8. I was actually expecting a kind of shithole but good ethnic food place. I was surprised to walk in to a super clean, modern, nice looking space. This sandwich is delish. Will def be back.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you guys up for dim sum? either next week during the week, or maybe first week december? something like that?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
or veitnamese? I could do a mutliperson meal in argyle

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm up for dim sum or vietnamese. It would have to be a Sunday or Monday for me though.

next monday most probrably works - there's maybe a 20% chance I'll be in saudi for the weekend, but if not, that works.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Got 2 #1 specials, one for tonight, one for breakfast before work tomorrow, and a drink. Only cost me $8. I was actually expecting a kind of shithole but good ethnic food place. I was surprised to walk in to a super clean, modern, nice looking space. This sandwich is delish. Will def be back.

That kind of decor is a new trend in asian places. They're all doing these super squeaky clean looks.

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
You shouldn't be looking for a bakery for these - but a proper restaurant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads