• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

good alcohol from canada?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i realize transporting beer isn't very cost-efficient but i couldn't let this thread slide by without mentioning unibroue, particularly trois pistoles and fin du monde. they also make one simply called terrible, which is anything but
unibroue.jpg

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by closetmess
Finally, grab a case of beer. After all, we have some of the best microbreweries and "macro"breweries in the world. If they are in Toronto, I'd recommend Steamwhistle. If near Quebec, Trois Pistoles and Blanche de Chambly are world class beers.
There's a brewery called Upper Canada that was pretty good last time I found something from them. Or if you go to the other Canada, the one not in Ontario or Quebec, and more westerly, you can try something from Wild Rose, Granville Island, or Tree. But I guess I should realize that the LCBO won't stock any of that.
Originally Posted by oman
i realize transporting beer isn't very cost-efficient but i couldn't let this thread slide by without mentioning unibroue, particularly trois pistoles and fin du monde. they also make one simply called terrible, which is anything but
unibroue.jpg

I also like Ephemere.

doink

Reaction score
The single malt is Glen Breton, I'd definitely stay away from it for the price.

For Ontario beers:

Creemore -first micro that got it right and consistent enough to be good
Neustadt - interesting beers, crazy brewer
Mill Street - good organic and stock ales

For rye:

Hiriam Walker special old over a CC (made by the same people but seems to taste better)
Alberta Springs has its followers
Can't go wrong with wisers

Not an educated wine drinker so only suggest ice wine as it is a safe gift. Make sure to not get one that is blended with brandy.

citoyen

Reaction score
wow, thank you guys. i knew a question concerning alcohol would produce some answers, but the variety of recommendations is as wide as tastes go. very nice. i will give him a nice little list, and we will see what he is able to get in between appointments.

since i am no beer guy and the relation of vol% to weight with beer is quite not THAT, i think i will let him drink the beer in Canada and tell me what it was like...

Originally Posted by jgold47
not sure if your into vodka's, but there is one, Polar Bear, which is made in canada I believe which has always been one of my favorites.

talking about wodka, i am of slavic origin, so any wodka not from poland/russia will have no chance.
smack.gif

thanks so far.
t

doink

Reaction score
Forgot to comment on the Rodrigues Wines. They tend to be very sweet, but are good as desert wines, plus they are kosher for passover if you need a change from Manischewitz.

citoyen

Reaction score
thanks for the recent additions, dtmt, doink and lefty.

doink: i know i am leaving my own OP but since we´re on page 3 it´s ok...there is one distillery in poland, they produce a spirit that is so ...tasty... when you drink you get the feeling you got a liquid plum in your mouth without all sweetness and sourness, just the real flavour which makes the plum plummy. its called "Passover Slivovitz" (yes, with "V", though polish). It burns a whole into your stomache due to its 70 vol% but if you ever happen to come into the Malopolska area, get it. Its worth every zloty.
I dont know if its accessible anywhere else in poland other than in south-east and east.

t.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by closetmess
If near Quebec, Trois Pistoles and Blanche de Chambly are world class beers.

La Fin du Monde
inlove.gif

These are all pretty easily found in the US though and not very expensive.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unibroue brews the Trader Joes Vintage Beers. I've had the 2008 and 2009, they are delicious and only $5 apiece.

closetmess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman

unibroue.jpg

Yep, I mentioned Trois Pistoles earlier in the thread. It is g-g-g-g-reat.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doink
The single malt is Glen Breton, I'd definitely stay away from it for the price. For Ontario beers: Creemore -first micro that got it right and consistent enough to be good Neustadt - interesting beers, crazy brewer Mill Street - good organic and stock ales
Creemore is not worth transporting from Canada, quality has definitely slipped a lot recently, and I only started drinking it like 3-4 years ago. Best macro, but still a macro. Neustadt 10W30 is really tasty imo, haven't had their other beers, although, I dunno if I'd say it is transport worthy. 10W30 is really good, but there are just as good beers in America to be had in similar styles (I'd drink Founders Dirty Bastard over this) Mill St. Organic and Mill St. Stock are not good. However, Mill St. Tankhouse is great, and their coffee porter is good as well (although, there are better coffee beers, ie: Founders Breakfast Stout.) Unibroue is GREAT, Trois Pistoles is a spectacular beer. I love Fin Du Monde as well, Maudite is a little odd, and I've only had fruit Ephemeres (Pomme and Cassis) and the Cassis was great, the Pomme, meh. If you bring back one beer from Canada, make it Trois Pistoles or Fin du Monde. Another great brewery is Dieu De Ciel, Quebec brewer. Their beer Peche Mortel is phenomenal, it's an imperial coffee stout clocking in at a heavy 9.5% and, name befitting, black as sin. They make tons of wild beers, but I've only had 2 of them sadly. Scotch Irish brewing is another interesting one, Corporal's Bitter Brown ale is a great brown ale that is heavily hopped to I believe over 80 IBU. I just picked up a few bottles of John By Imperial Stout, which I've heard good things about as well from the same brewery. And they come in stubbies, a true Canadian beer!

Reaction score
Canadian Club- don draper drinks this

Don't waste your time on Crown Royal

Beer: anything by Unibroue (la fin du monde is my fave) or, if they have it.......Dieu Du Ciel beer, wins MANY awards by beer snobs, amazing stuff.

Ice wine if you like the stuff

If he can get any PEI gin, that's insane stuff too, but in Toronto, unlikely.

source: I have lived all over Canada

doink

Reaction score
Listi, I think our beer tastes are different, not wrong just different. Some of the beers you have listed I don't like, the pleasure of having choices outside of Blue and Ex.

I will agree that the taste of creemeore has changed over the past 17 yearyears, but it is still one of the GTA's better beers. I don't drink it as much as I used to due to available choices.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citoyen
thanks for the recent additions, dtmt, doink and lefty.

Don't thank me yet. Screech is acquired taste and usually goes hand-in-hand with kissing a cod.

kissing-the-cod.jpg

And dancing.

Screech-in%20%281%29.jpg

Be careful.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads