• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giving anything up for Lent?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No thread about Lent or New Year's resolutions in the history of the internet has ever reached completion without someone chiming in with the "I'm giving up not giving up anything for Lent / My New Year's resolution is to not have a New Year's resolution" snark.

It's remarkable, really, considering how clever it's not.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, posting in WAYWRN
laugh.gif

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
... Any recommended reading is welcome, thanks!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by londonchris
+1 !
I like Ignatius of Loyola and his tradition. I'm not sure what a good, practical self-help type book would be though. It might be worth it to just buy his autobiography and Spiritual Exercises. A friend likes Thomas Keating, who is currently alive. I haven't read his stuff. For Xn classics, Teresa Avila, and John of the Cross, and the Cloud of Unknowing are great. Ed's suggestion of Thomas Merton is too. As is Meister Eckhart. Evelyn Underhill is a classic interpreter. Bernard McGinn is probably the best living historian/interpreter. William Johnston wrote some good stuff comparing Xn and non-Xn mysticism.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I'm a total newb at this. We have a regular Taize service, but it's on my beer drinking night.
plain.gif

Any recommended reading is welcome, thanks!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by londonchris
+1 !

Originally Posted by emptym
I like Ignatius of Loyola and his tradition. I'm not sure what a good, practical self-help type book would be though. It might be worth it to just buy his autobiography and Spiritual Exercises. A friend likes Thomas Keating, who is currently alive. I haven't read his stuff. For Xn classics, Teresa Avila, and John of the Cross, and the Cloud of Unknowing are great. Ed's suggestion of Thomas Merton is too. As is Meister Eckhart. Evalyne Underhill is a classic interpreter. Bernard McGinn is probably the best living historian/interpreter. William Johnston wrote some good stuff comparing Xn and non-Xn mysticism.

Cloud of Unknowing is fantastic. When I was a sophomore or junior in college, our chaplain recommended reading a chapter a day, that's it. Really good stuff. Every library and bookstore should have a copy. The author is a Cistercian so it is anonymous.

There are a ton of books on how to lead a daily live in monastic prayer. Really anything from a contemporary monk will be good in addition to emptym's recommendations.

HOWEVER....best thing to do is just find silence. This may sound dumb or anti-climatic but just be silent and listen. What to do next will come to you.

If you can, spend an afternoon at a monastery (then again I am partial to monasteries) walking around, meditating...or just go to a church. Really whatever you can do for silence. I remember a priest once saying (either at a homily or retreat, can't remember) that the most powerful prayer you can do is just sitting in front of a cross and meditating.

Try not to get too bogged down in books or thinking too much about contemplative prayer, that's my advice. For some reason it is easy to do. I think dudes put it on this magic pedestal that can't be touched when in actuality, it is like any prayer. You just have to put in a little more effort to have the right environment.

At least that is all my experience.

Anyway, the main thing is Silence trumps everything. If you have that, the rest will come.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm giving up beer. Not alcohol, just beer, but my weekly non-beer alcohol consumption is minimal.

It's already giving me difficulties. Not the abstinance from beer in and of itself, but the fact that I was really unoccupied when I went out to a bar last night.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
id say im gonna give up the usual....fapping, drinking, fast food, excessive spending, whoring around, etc. But i wont.

Maybe Ill give up lying to myself.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

On that note, I am going to give up lying to myself. lol

BP348

Reaction score
Bread and Tortillas.

Never realized how much I ate until I gave them up. Had a hard time finding lunch today, first place I went to had enchiladas (tortillas) as their special and couldn't do my stand by, Subway, because its bread.

The thing that's going to kill me is the no pizza for 40 days.

junipertwist

Reaction score
Gave up all non-work-related internet, just in time to stomp out a growing obsession that left me prowling B&S day and night.

It's hard to believe that just a few years ago, I didn't have the entire internet in my pocket whenever I needed it to answer a stupid question or check the news ticker.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, rational thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads