• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something about the La Mer print that makes me want to buy it.

smdbitchh

Reaction score
Bahia shirt came in the mail today. Very cool print.

but first thing I noticed it looked very long.

Have a bunch of gitman shirts so I checked with my measuring tape down the back from the collar seam and its a little over 31" inches. Others were all about 28-29.5". Wondering if the short sleeve gitmans run a bit longer or if the others have shrank a bit with wash and hang dry. Since Im most likely going to only wear this shirt untucked hoping maybe I can give it a wash and lose a inch or so on the length. Has anyone noticed any of their gitmans being longer or had any luck shrinking them a bit in the past. thanks

tjonesd2

Reaction score

Bahia shirt came in the mail today. Very cool print.

but first thing I noticed it looked very long.

Have a bunch of gitman shirts so I checked with my measuring tape down the back from the collar seam and its a little over 31" inches. Others were all about 28-29.5". Wondering if the short sleeve gitmans run a bit longer or if the others have shrank a bit with wash and hang dry. Since Im most likely going to only wear this shirt untucked hoping maybe I can give it a wash and lose a inch or so on the length. Has anyone noticed any of their gitmans being longer or had any luck shrinking them a bit in the past. thanks

What size did you get?

smdbitchh

Reaction score
What size did you get?
medium. I actually just took another look and Needsupply did have the length listed as 31". I never really check closely for that measurement since it has never been a problem. Normally just check the pit to pit and shoulder.

Strange thing I just noticed is the front length is similar to my other gitmans but the back goes down further. The fabric is heavy so that might account for part of the difference in size.

I know people say they are pre-washed and dont shrink much but I might give this one a wash and throw it in the dryer. I normally just hang them to dry. Any downside to drying the shirt once?? I know using a dryer is not great for shirts but dont think once would do much harm.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

medium. I actually just took another look and Needsupply did have the length listed as 31". I never really check closely for that measurement since it has never been a problem. Normally just check the pit to pit and shoulder.

Strange thing I just noticed is the front length is similar to my other gitmans but the back goes down further. The fabric is heavy so that might account for part of the difference in size.

I know people say they are pre-washed and dont shrink much but I might give this one a wash and throw it in the dryer. I normally just hang them to dry. Any downside to drying the shirt once?? I know using a dryer is not great for shirts but dont think once would do much harm.

I wouldn't do it. Drying clothing in a dryer can cause uneven shrinking and bunching of the fabric at the seems. I always air dry.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirts are washed and dried by Gitman already, shouldn't be too much shrinkage

And for my mediums I'd say it's always between 28.5 - 32 ranges all over though usually consistent to fabric types

smdbitchh

Reaction score
Shirts are washed and dried by Gitman already, shouldn't be too much shrinkage

And for my mediums I'd say it's always between 28.5 - 32 ranges all over though usually consistent to fabric types
Yeah sounds right. Guess it just happens that this one falls on the longer side of that range.

Never had a shirt shortened by a tailor is this a fairly simple alteration with good results or not worth the effort.

tjonesd2

Reaction score

Yeah sounds right. Guess it just happens that this one falls on the longer side of that range. 

Never had a shirt shortened by a tailor is this a fairly simple alteration with good results or not worth the effort. 

It's a relatively simple procedure, but results depends on your tailor's level of competency. You'll also shorten the distance from the hem to bottom button- too much might look wierd. You should post a fit pic here

smdbitchh

Reaction score
It's a relatively simple procedure, but results depends on your tailor's level of competency. You'll also shorten the distance from the hem to bottom button- too much might look wierd. You should post a fit pic here
I will post one when I get in but its definately a bit long untucked.

nevergreen

Reaction score
can't speak for @stevent but i have it as well and i love mine. considering it's f/w it's pretty light but you can feel how sturdy it is. plus it looks way good

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sofiacaleb7449