• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CROCKETT & JONES) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use for polishing the navy shell? Is there a navy polish made for shell cordovan?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saphir Renovateur. TMM is a PITA.

I have always found the Mac method (which really should be called the Horween method since it is what they suggest) is easy after the first good shine. I can shine my SC shoes in about 1/3 of the time as calf.

konda

Reaction score
Isn't that lacking color?

In my opinion there is no need for any color in an SC polish. I also have Saphir's SC polish (which is burgundy in color) but really see no additional value in it. The shoes look the same i.e color gets me nowhere.

I use a very thin coat of Renovateur, let dry for approx 30 minutes and polish with stockings. The shine I get from that suffices as I feel shell shoes don't need to shine the way calf shoes do.

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys Steve and I were talking about having this made up in another last (undecided) in snuff suede. Great spring/summer style for sure! Any takers on something like that?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TaxGenius: I have found that Renovateur alone leaves shell too try. My method is similar to Roger's in that I use Saphir cordovan cream on occasion to moisturize. In between applications, I wipe down with a damp cloth and brush. The Saphir cordovan cream results in a nice shine, but some go an additional step of putting a little paste wax on the toe for even more shine.

As to your questions on adding color back in, I tend to use the neutral cordovan cream so as to not alter the original color. I have not found it necessary to add color back in.

konda

Reaction score
^ I've not seen this happen on my AEs and feel Reno keeps the SC in quite nice condition. In between applications I do the same: wipe clean (I use quite a lot of force to really clean all spots off) and then brush - alto I do the brushing with stockings to instantly bring out the shine.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah outside of Alden I rarely use reno on shell anymore, maybe 1-2x a year max. Always the cordovan creme though

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

TaxGenius:  I have found that Renovateur alone leaves shell too try.  My method is similar to Roger's in that I use Saphir cordovan cream on occasion to moisturize.  In between applications, I wipe down with a damp cloth and brush.  The Saphir cordovan cream results in a nice shine, but some go an additional step of putting a little paste wax on the toe for even more shine.

As to your questions on adding color back in, I tend to use the neutral cordovan cream so as to not alter the original color.  I have not found it necessary to add color back in.

^ I've not seen this happen on my AEs and feel Reno keeps the SC in quite nice condition. In between applications I do the same: wipe clean (I use quite a lot of force to really clean all spots off) and then brush - alto I do the brushing with stockings to instantly bring out the shine.

Yeah outside of Alden I rarely use reno on shell anymore, maybe 1-2x a year max. Always the cordovan creme though

Sorry for the derail, but I used Reno on shell for the first time the other night. I was expecting the shell to feel different afterwards, but it didn't. I didn't use a lot and I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys Steve and I were talking about having this made up in another last (undecided) in snuff suede. Great spring/summer style for sure! Any takers on something like that?

I might be a taker. I actually have that shoe and like that last. What last were you thinking?

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I might be a taker. I actually have that shoe and like that last. What last were you thinking?

Not entirely sure of the last just yet. I just cant do the simpson its too narrow for me. Was thinking a slightly wider or rounder last

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads