• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen and Travelers

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

Sounds like fun, but this is definitely the wrong forum for this discussion. Check out backpacking forums such as backpackinglight.com and google for appropriate attire while traveling by foot. I also like verber.com for recommendations on both traveling and backpacking gear. Edit: Unless of course your only goal is to look good while traveling, in which case you came to the right place.

P.S. How is this my first post? Been lurking for a while, learning as much as I can as part of a sartorial awakening. Making a big move from Minnesota to NYC and need to refresh my wardrobe. /threadjack

P.P.S good luck on your travels and be sure to wear an awesome hat --> traveling isn't cool unless you look like Indiana Jones.

I have no ******* clue how indiana jones went around dressed like that—heat stroke happens quickly. Then again, denim and big leather boots have been around forever in the southwest, and I'm not sure how they died. I also like that I'm graduating from UChicago, which is where Indiana Jones went to school too.

I don't want to only look good traveling, but I want to look like myself. If Im traveling through the country and need to adjust my wardrobe to keep me safe, I'd like to do it in a way that is the closest approximation to how I like to dress. I hope that makes sense, kind of.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rubber hose and a shopping mall should take care of that and there's nothing like learning how to drive on a road trip. Walking 30 miles in the middle of nowhere only to end up a little farther down the road is a tough slog.

Oh well, get to learn these:

signs-2.gif
signs1.gif

lefty

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damm...suppose you have to ****?? Or get sick? Or have diarrhea?

But does sound like fun. I live in nYc so can't put you F***ers up...

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*********** woods by the road - just choose your clean up leaves VERY carefully.

You do know what poison oak and poison ivy look like, don't you? :embar:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Sounds like fun, but this is definitely the wrong forum for this discussion. Check out backpacking forums such as backpackinglight.com and google for appropriate attire while traveling by foot. I also like verber.com for recommendations on both traveling and backpacking gear. Edit: Unless of course your only goal is to look good while traveling, in which case you came to the right place.

P.S. How is this my first post? Been lurking for a while, learning as much as I can as part of a sartorial awakening. Making a big move from Minnesota to NYC and need to refresh my wardrobe. /threadjack

P.P.S good luck on your travels and be sure to wear an awesome hat --> traveling isn't cool unless you look like Indiana Jones.

Does he need a whip as well?

*********** woods by the road - just choose your clean up leaves VERY carefully.

I once read a very old backpacking guidebook that suggested using pine cones.

Last edited:

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

Damm...suppose you have to ****?? Or get sick? Or have diarrhea?
But does sound like fun. I live in nYc so can't put you F***ers up...

If we get sick then we'll call highway police and get transported to an ER, but I hope that doesn't happen. We're not camping out though, so it really shouldn't be so bad. Yeah it does sound like fun, or maybe we're romanticizing it a lot, which we find is certainly the case when we jump into ideas, but regardless, might be a blast or disaster. I like the way you spell nYc, it makes it look like it used to on the tokens for the MTA. ANyway, maybe we'll meet some sf'ers along the road.

I know what poison ivy looks like, but thats only because I didn't know what it looked like when I was in 8th grade. I dont know what poison oak looks like.

I didn't really consider how practical i would have to be in my choice of clothes

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your impulse trip sounds like a fools errand and disaster waiting to happen. You really better do some homework by going to backpacking sites and educating yourself. Start with how to plan a trip since that's the first thing you need to do. If you want to look stylish while doing this forget it. Pack exactly one change of your stylish clothes and wear them after your day's hike. All other clothing has only one purpose and that's to protect you from the elements and make the trip as comfortable as possible. That means toss all the cotton and opt for hi performance synthetics. Raingear? How about thermal layers for warmth? Don't think you'll need it? You'll need both, bet on it or risk literally dying in the field. Don't bet on that cellphone to save your ass either. That crutch has ended many a trip in disaster. Hate to rain on your parade but what you have in mind is no joke and believe it or not is not as simple as you think.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So you're not camping, which means motels/hotels, but you can't afford gas. You're walking with nothing but cotton t-shirts and jeans.
Crane's is right. You're going to die on the road.
lefty

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

Your impulse trip sounds like a fools errand and disaster waiting to happen. You really better do some homework by going to backpacking sites and educating yourself. Start with how to plan a trip since that's the first thing you need to do. If you want to look stylish while doing this forget it. Pack exactly one change of your stylish clothes and wear them after your day's hike. All other clothing has only one purpose and that's to protect you from the elements and make the trip as comfortable as possible. That means toss all the cotton and opt for hi performance synthetics. Raingear? How about thermal layers for warmth? Don't think you'll need it? You'll need both, bet on it or risk literally dying in the field. Don't bet on that cellphone to save your ass either. That crutch has ended many a trip in disaster. Hate to rain on your parade but what you have in mind is no joke and believe it or not is not as simple as you think.

as ignorant as we seem, which we are, we also have planned a trip where we know people in every state we are going into. I couldnt' agree more, and basically the idea of having clothes we like to wear to use after a days hike is the solution for the problem.

Crane, thanks for the insight. We'll be more careful and won't take this so lightly.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

as ignorant as we seem, which we are, we also have planned a trip where we know people in every state we are going into. I couldnt' agree more, and basically the idea of having clothes we like to wear to use after a days hike is the solution for the problem.
Crane, thanks for the insight. We'll be more careful and won't take this so lightly.

Good. Another thing to pay a lot of attention to is hydration. Plan on having backpacks with hydration bladders measured in gallons and load them up with something like gatorade and ice. You'll need the electrolytes, eat salty nuts and the like while on the hike as well. Avoid heat exhaustion at all costs.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to researching backpacking fora and publications, I would highly recommend getting into shape via shorter, trial walks in areas you're familiar with and which are well populated to see how far you can go in your current physical condition, and how much you can improve with more time. In other words, start training now and plan for next year.

Learn orienteering with a map and compass and don't expect to be able to just follow road signs, even if you're staying on the road.

You should not plan on carrying more than a quarter of your body weight. Much of that should be water. Drink as you go, do not ration or put off hydrating. A hydration back pack is a very good idea.

You need lightweight hiking boots which are not insulated or waterproof. All goretex boots do in the long run is drown your feet in sweat. I like Lowa or OTB boots. A spare pair of shoes should be light and comfortable, maybe Jack Purcells.

You need sturdy, breathable trousers that dry quickly. I like Railriders Backcountry Khakis. Yes they are synthetic but they look fine. Ibex Shak or similar sweater, you'll still need it if you move at night. A light water resistant jacket. Merino wool tees and socks, lightweight, of course. And a Tilley hat or something similar.

Make sure friends and family know where you're going and what route you're taking. Do a running mobile blog, it'll be fun and people will know where you are.

A Leatherman tool would be a good backup to your Opinel. A good first aid kit and a flashlight with a long battery life are also good ideas. If you or any of your friends have chronic issues like asthma or allergies, you need to plan for them.

Plan as much as you can, especially in terms of researching local cultures and how people you may encounter will respond to you.

Johnwilli

Reaction score
I like this thread but I would be more happy if title was "Businessman and Travelers" I'm a traveler and I love travelling. Mostly I travel for business but in coming summer I've planned for a summer vacation on world's most amazing place with my family. If you people have time then you should also enjoy with your family. The interesting thing which I would like to share with you is my wife suggestion she told me about "on the beach" it's a store which gives you a vacation plan. I visited here and found interesting thing they offers discount codes so I used and would like to share with you guys. You can use their 50% off offer which will expire at 30-04-2012

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear linen. Clark's, ECCO or RockPort are not bad ideas at all and feature (or should) removable insoles so your shoes can dry out easier while you sleep. Consider a pair of Wolverine 1,000 Mile boots too. A nice Panama hat keeps your melon cooler. A fishing vest or gabardine sport vest has many compartments that come in handy for coin, knife, sani-wipes, etc. Have a wonderful and safe trip and take lots pf photos of your clothes as you go so you can do a 'before and after' essay.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Crane's here. Have you ever been on a backpacking trip of say a week? Just looking at your comments I'd say you're heading for trouble

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads