• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those monks looks ok.

Last edited:

claes500

Reaction score

For MTO I believe that this is configurable. In a recent thread entitled "Opinions on Gaziano & Girling MTO" (I won't provide a link or else my post will probably get held for moderation) Leaves said:

I'm planning to take advantage of this when I get far enough down my list to place my order for the Cantebury boots where I plan to specify plain stitching on both the toecap and the horizontal ankle seam.

- Julian
Exactly, you can change the brougeing to your liking. I did the opposite on my canterburys and added brouging along the balmoral-line and kept the toecap so I think there would be no problem removing the brouging on the Mayfair.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the Deco calf and regular calf? From the pics, it looks like the Deco calf is a little like JL's museum calf, I can see faint swirls of brown color in the black. But I've never seen it in person, so I don't know for sure.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel honored that we share similar taste in shoes.

:fistbump: ditto M. but spoo might tell you not to follow in my path when it comes to shoes.

I hate to say this, but Im not really in love with any of these.

+1. the shoes got progressively worse as your eyes travel down the page

these. the double monks are ok but dont blow me away. and the other ones would be ok with laces but those weird line things throw me off.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hate to say this, but Im not really in love with any of these.

Ditto the buckling on the dub monks is all wrong IMO...set too high on the vamp FWIW.

Dub Monks are supposed to have the buckles set at an angle to set them off.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What is the difference between the Deco calf and regular calf? From the pics, it looks like the Deco calf is a little like JL's museum calf, I can see faint swirls of brown color in the black. But I've never seen it in person, so I don't know for sure.

IIRC i think that the deco black is not dyed so deep as a regular aniline calf more like there antiqued/ vintage leathers that way it can be striped back to have a bleached toe

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm certain that the SF system mangles my perfectly typed posts all the time!
Couldn't be my problem...:)

aaahahahaha.

me too :hide:

Leather man

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but don't agree. Those double monks are of a classic style. G&G do offer a double monk through Bespoke England where both straps sweep away from the vamp - and you may prefer that model. My three pairs of Church's double monks have the top strap sweeping away but the bottom strap descending in a straight line.

As for the "Lazyman slip-ons" its another classic style which George Cleverley also offer called the "Churchill" since he reputedly loved this style of shoe. In fact I've never been tempted by this style before but I am mightly tempted by the one with the plain toe in vintage cedar.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52