• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Crockett & Jones BNIB

Chillihead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Just some feedback here Graham. The shoes are very nice and I am interested in the Connaught but at 145+23 GBP, the prices are higher for seconds (regardless of whether the flaw is minor or not noticeable) than for firsts ordered from PLAL, so the deals are not that attractive imo.

Hi new here, have a great collection of Church's C&J and, I have to say R M WIlliams. Anyone like to tell me who/what PLAL is/are? Please.

Chadley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chillihead
Hi new here, have a great collection of Church's C&J and, I have to say R M WIlliams. Anyone like to tell me who/what PLAL is/are? Please.

Did you look at plal.com?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
But on the other hand, Graham does (or presumbly will in future) offer the service of hunting down a specific style/color/size that may be hard to find, which is surely worth something. I also, however, speak as someone who has been too confused by plal to ever have made use of their discounts.
Yeah, agree with Chris Rimby: what's confusing? Just to fine-tune Chris's formula, at today's (lousy) exchange rates, the USD price is the Malaysian price (in ringgits) divided by 3.4. And since PLal can get you any size and color (and factory 1sts, not 2nds), what's the advantage in having someone else "hunting down a specific style/color/size"? Unless it's for a model that PLal don't stock, but there are few of those. As for the form you fill out, I didn't find it very onerous, and I definitely didn't have to fill in a social security number. For those of us in Canada, PLal is particularly attractive as they have an effective way of reducing or, in most cases, eliminating, any import duties/taxes at our end. Finally, they sometimes waive some or all of the shipping costs.

I agree with others here, Salsalocust: your prices are a little too high to be appealing to most forumers, who know how to get good deals.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger

I agree with others here, Salsalocust: your prices are a little too high to be appealing to most forumers, who know how to get good deals.

Sceonded! Especially given that in NYC C&J's are available at The Mansion, Dunhill, Brooks, Barneys and Turnbull as well as PAL and Pedwear and are often heavily discounted.

Lobb will certainly generate the most interest here but there's competition from Modern Vintage and Sausages as well as the twice yearly Lobb sales at the boutiques, Bergdorf and Korshak.

Salsalocust

Reaction score
Hi,

I agree with everything you say!

How can I dispute the obvious. I have never set out to fleece the naive, as the naive will not exist on a forum like this.All I offer is exposure to the shoes I hold.

Sausages especially. but Modern Vintage, Retailtherapyforall and others all carry more stock than me. Sausages makes a living out of the game and might even receive discounts from manufacturers.

My margins are pitched at the market by me and I will live and learn by my mistakes. Essentially I'll be always be a grubby ebay dealer.

SF members will always access markets that are advantageous to them, I know that!

If I had to pitch Lobbs at £235, I could.... but then again,I'd could pack it in.

Its a perverse ying and yang: I'd quite like to be gazing at the Pacific from Malibu or Manhattan from the Rockerfeller paying $$$$ for Lobbs....instead I scratch around the Victorian terraces of Northampton picking up discount shoes. It's just how life is!

BTW: In case you're thinking of moving to Northampton, gazing at the Pacific is far more aesthetically pleasing!

Regards,

Graham

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads