• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Calling all geeks, laptop help please.....

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+134 on the SlickDeals.net plug. Fantastic site and surely the best place to find a good laptop price, though sometimes you have to wait out a good deal. FatWallet as well but most of the stuff that ends up on FW ends up on SD.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Thinkpad and really like it. Its only problem is that it's missing the Windows key.

I used to really dislike Dell laptops, but they've gotten better recently.

--Andre

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I have a Thinkpad and really like it. Its only problem is that it's missing the Windows key. --Andre
You can map the Windows key to one of the other ones you don't use. I mapped mine to the right Alt key. Forgot where I got it from, but it's fairly easy to find via google. Oh, I didn't read about the 9 year old part. I suppose a Thinkpad is a bit too serious for someone that age. He needs a toy more than a computer.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll mail you mine, I ripped it off there along with the forward-back nav keys.

P.s. I HATE where the Fn key is (where the Ctrl is supposed to be). Drives me nuts. And it can't be remapped.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The nav keys are lame. For now, I just use Ctrl-Esc as a poor Windows key substitute, though it isn't as fast to search or open a file explorer or whatever else, but most of the time I use the laptop docked with a full keyboard.

--Andre

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
The nav keys are lame. For now, I just use Ctrl-Esc as a poor Windows key substitute, though it isn't as fast to search or open a file explorer or whatever else, but most of the time I use the laptop docked with a full keyboard.

--Andre

I've never used the Windows key on any computer so I'm used to working around it. I've ripped them off all my keyboards since they started putting them on there, because they used to pop you out of a fullscreen game, which would either mean you would die/lose, or it might crash or whatever. I'm not even sure what the key can do, actually, but obviously I've not missed the functionality.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ones I use a lot are Win-E to open a file explorer, Win-F for Windows file search, and Win-R for the run-a-program dialog. Ctrl-Shift-Esc is handy, too, and Alt keys are used for switching between multiple desktops, so remapping is hard for me to do.

It can be annoying for games, though I would have thought many would offer the option of disabling the Windows key.

--Andre

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm debating between a Thinkpad T60 and a Dell Vostro 1500 right now. Here is a fatwallet coupon for a thinkpad www.fatwallet.com/t/18/791945 I really want an integrated webcam. The vostro comes with one for cheaper. The thinkpad is probably made better, though nowhere near my powerbook. I need to decide in the next 2 hours or so. I use the Windows Key because I use the mouse as little as possible on any system. ------ Alright, I just bought the Thinkpad due to its sturdier construction.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
laugh.gif

If your son is $9 years old, it's probably best to get him something reasonably small - 11-13 inches and not necessarily blazing fast. Something to play games like RO, Rose whatever quest, etc etc the kiddy games. He's not going to be playing games like CounterStrike source or anything that requires greater power. Plus; small guys with big laptops are just accidents waiting to happen.

peace out

Yeah, I'm getting him something in the 11-12 inch range, as he'll be close to it, it's not like he is using it to commute to work.

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Tape
Why the heck does a 9 year old need a laptop in the first place? For the same price you are looking to spend you could get a killer desktop system and he could game till his hearts content.

If you still insist on a laptop, I suggest: http://laptopgiving.org/en/index.php

We have a desktop but we do not like where it is and are sending it down to the depths of the house and know that he (nor I) will use it down there. If you read my first post you would see why he "needs" a laptop, need being used in the same sense as those here that need $800 shoes and such. That laptop you linked to is crap, it's more of a toy than anything and I hate being "guilted" around the holidays. I give and do things for those less fortunate and there are better and more eficient ways to get kids in third world countries online, but then the people who started this laptop program won't get all this publicity and their name all over the place.

Thanks all and due to my time constraints and my price range, I'm probably going ot have to pick a Gateway or HP from BestBuy or something.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never, ever buy something from Tiger Direct. They have the worst ******* customer service you will ever encounter. Three or four years ago I ordered like $1.5K worth of parts from them and half of the garbage they sent me was not what I ordered. It took a solid week to get the fools to issue a full refund. That's when I turned to Newegg, and I shall never look back. Newegg is
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

Mr. Blue Tape

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
We have a desktop but we do not like where it is and are sending it down to the depths of the house and know that he (nor I) will use it down there. If you read my first post you would see why he "needs" a laptop, need being used in the same sense as those here that need $800 shoes and such. That laptop you linked to is crap, it's more of a toy than anything and I hate being "guilted" around the holidays. I give and do things for those less fortunate and there are better and more eficient ways to get kids in third world countries online, but then the people who started this laptop program won't get all this publicity and their name all over the place.

Thanks all and due to my time constraints and my price range, I'm probably going ot have to pick a Gateway or HP from BestBuy or something.

I'm sorry you feel the suggested laptop was crap, but I believe you are mistaken, rather than start an argument about your misconceptions it I'll just link you to the NYTimes: http://tiny.cc/nytlap

In any case, good luck in finding a suitable laptop.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I'm debating between a Thinkpad T60 and a Dell Vostro 1500 right now.

Here is a fatwallet coupon for a thinkpad www.fatwallet.com/t/18/791945

I really want an integrated webcam. The vostro comes with one for cheaper. The thinkpad is probably made better, though nowhere near my powerbook.

I need to decide in the next 2 hours or so.

I use the Windows Key because I use the mouse as little as possible on any system.

------

Alright, I just bought the Thinkpad due to its sturdier construction.

Dell is a *************. I wouldn't buy one with your money. Thinkpads are on the top of my list, then comes some a highend Vaio, then maybe a Macbook (and I hate Macs).

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Dell is a *************. I wouldn't buy one with your money. Thinkpads are on the top of my list, then comes some a highend Vaio, then maybe a Macbook (and I hate Macs).
Yeah I'm happy with my purchase (or at least I'm confident I will be when I get it). I'm actually buying it just to use the CS3 suite with a friend to get a project done. I know it is available on OS X, but macs are more expensive and there are always minor inconsistencies that annoy the hell out of me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads